Thin is in! Yes, you can get big, beefy bass notes from an ultra-thin component subwoofer. The Blaupunkt ODw1000 10" subwoofer has a mounting depth of less than 2-1/4" (and can be used in free-air applications), enabling you to put bass where it's never gone before.
Imagine — bass in your tailgate door, front kick panels, or rear deck. It's all possible, thanks to Blaupunkt's revolutionary woofer design. Layers of foam and aluminum are bonded together to form a flat, disc-shaped diaphragm, which is housed in a compact, saucer-style basket to create a sleek, stylish, streamlined bass engine.
You won't find a traditional spider in this subwoofer, either. The rear suspension is fabricated from the same foam material as the surround, keeping the thickness to a minimum and eliminating the spider as a potential point of failure. Plus, the foam suspension material helps to maintain even cone travel for smooth reproduction.
These subs are attracting attention from bass-loving fans all over the world who want to save space. No wonder the Overdrive subs won an Innovations Award at the 2005 Consumer Electronic Show!
* 10" 4-ohm subwoofer with protective grille
* aluminum diaphragm bonded to inner foam core
* foam front and rear surrounds
* can be used in free-air applications
* frequency response: 20-200 Hz
* power handling: 50-200 watts RMS
* peak power handling: 600 watts
* sensitivity: 90 dB
* mounting depth: 2-1/4"
* sealed box volume: 0.4-1.4 cu. ft.
* ported box volume: 0.4-1.4 cu. ft
Unique Design: The Blaupunkt Overdrive Series ODw1000 is an ultra-thin component subwoofer that is designed to be mounted in places where conventional cone subwoofers cannot. Instead of a cone, the ODw1000 uses a virtually flat diaphragm, which requires approximately 50% of the depth of a cone. It can be used in sealed, ported, or bandpass boxes, or as a free-air driver.
"Sonic Saucer" Technology: Using the following diaphragm construction technologies and stabilizing suspension techniques, the ODw1000 is able to provide the same overall performance of a conventional subwoofer in less than half the mounting depth:
* Diaphragm Construction: The diaphragm is made of stressed aluminum, bonded to a foam inner core, much like the wings of a military aircraft. The voice coil attach point is thicker at the center of the diaphragm, allowing the load to be distributed over a larger area without bending or flexing. This construction gives the diaphragm all the strength and low mass of a conventional cone.
* Suspension: The diameter of the suspension attach points has been increased from 2" typically on a cone woofer to about 9" The woofer has two foam surrounds for maximum stability: a commonly-used front surround and a rear surround to take the place of a treated fabric spider. Using the same suspension materials for the front and rear keeps the travel as linear as possible.
Magnet: The ODw1000 uses a 30-ounce magnet with a diameter of 4.721." The magnet is surrounded by a bottom frame that is 8.9" in diameter.
Size 10 -inch
Impedance 4 ohms
Cone Material Aluminum bonded foam
Surround Material Foam
Sealed Box Volume (cubic feet) 0.4 - 1.4
Ported Box Volume (cubic feet) 0.4 - 1.4
Port diameter (inches) 3
Port length (inches) 9.7
Dual Voice Coil No
Sensitivity 90 dB at 2.83 volts
87 dB at 1 volt
Frequency Response 20 - 200 Hz
RMS Power Range (Watts) 50-200
Peak Power Handling (Watts) 600
Top Mount Depth (inches) 2 1/4
Bottom Mount Depth (inches) 2 11/16
Cutout Diameter or Length (inches) 9 1/8
Vas (liters) 37.5
Fs (Hz) 30
Xmax (millimeters) 10
$245 shipped for the pair
Grill is fully aluminum, yessirreee.
Stiff cone, rigid compression right now, prob just needs to be broken in but feels awesome. double cone with a concave cone on top and a convex come below for some strength.
Super SUPER slim - only 2.25" mounting depth!! Sold build quality cast aluminum through the entire basket. Check out the diaphragm... get ready for this......
Yes that is a secondary surround on the edge of the diaphragm. this is the BACK of the sub.
You can see the bottom surround pushed up as I'm pushing the diaphragm up a bit.
Brushed alum basket again.
Dar she is again.
What I love about both the vw1000 and the odw1000 is that they can be used in any box - sealed, ported, bandpass, and both are also suited for IB use.