Car Audio Classifieds! banner

Tapered/horn loaded 4th order thingamajig

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  akheathen 
#1 ·

As always I'm bored throwing around designs. Planned on starting it tonight but dove into more ideas for my LVL2 8s.

If I have enough scrap wood Ill build it tomorrow and a log will be posted. Predicted a smooth 3db climb from 30hz to 60hz where it will be crossed. Should be flattish in-cabin.

On with the lulz.

See less See more
#3 ·
looking at that design...u will have a low end monster

#4 ·
Just as a small update, didnt have enough wood. Trying to get some money to build it.
Considering selling these two 8s for now and picking up an Epic 10 til I can afford a second. Hmpf.

#6 · (Edited)
.6 After displacement, .3, flares from 60sqcm of port to 110 at the mouth. Wouldve preferred more port but that wouldve make the box impractical due to size.

Phase response stays within 90deg all the way from 10 to 80hz. Group delay doesnt hit 16ms till it gets down to 33hz.
Should handle 1200+ watts with less than 15mm excursion at peak, with a subsonic set about 33-35. Maximum predicted SPL is about 133 on 1k at 50hz. Guessing in cabin should get it a little higher. Cant say for sure though.

Should be about all the applicable info.. box is 27.5x14x10.5 tuned to 48 I believe. Has the same sensitivity as a vented box, aside from the peak that a vented would have at tuning.

#8 ·
It isn't a horn. Just a.. flared port 4th order really. Another of my hybrid type boxes that Im sure have been done before, just you dont see done normally.

It seems I wont be able to really build it as moneys short and Im trying to move these for some SA12s or 10s. But if anyone wants one of these designs, shoot me a message and we'll talk.

#9 ·
yah, i saw someone doing a t-line/horn hybrid reflex port 4th order last month, but never got to see any results.... i'm curious as to how it will work out. what i was looking at was the formation of the front chamber to the right of the compression plane. i haven't seen that, but i am new to labyrinth style enclosures and curious on tuning them.....also, can you explain the front/rear chamber ratio (as in reasoning, not specs) if you don't mind?

#10 ·
Link perhaps? Sounds interesting.

And It was pretty simply, what the sub(s) in particular preferred. Im not taking a guess, Im actually viewing how they respond in hornresp.

If you understand enclosures and get down the basics, I think it may be easier than most people think. Though theres still a lot of things to watch out for and needed comprehension.

#14 ·
Hurrican3: I believe you have experience here. Im sure you know as well as I do by now that huge port area or expansion isnt always as effective as youd think.

Ak: It is two chambers, one port. You cant tell but the front bit of chamber is wider than the port, and then theres the obvious chamber section. This together accounts for the front chamber before the port starts. Id probably put a 45 there if I built this but it seems thats not an option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.