Car Audio Classifieds! banner

design request for sthrnbumpn [Completed]

1K views 41 replies 7 participants last post by  surreal 
#1 ·
Design request for sthrnbumpn

Subwoofer/speaker brand: RF

Subwoofer/speaker model, size, and number of woofers: HE2 8" 2

Expected power handling:300 rms per sub

Vehicle enclosure will be used in (please add notes if specific or unusual placement will be used): 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan, it will be placed in the back hatch,

Max dimensions (MUST fit in vehicle or through trunk opening!):
Amp or expected power handling:48x50x28

Listening expectations (description):the whole family has a wide variety we listen too, hardcore rap/metal, teen girl pop, R/B,

What bandwidth is acceptable? 35-60hz high output, 30-80hz? Ignore if you do not understand
ive tried a few different boxes in this app, an never liked the results, no low end at all it seemed like, it was missing all together in the van,

How low do you want it to play and how important are the low notes (Song examples are encouraged)? lows would be great, im not looking for high powered lows, as i have no subsonic filter on my amp, id like to keep it under 40 hz if possible, but what ever you recommend , im liking the sundown 8 box you designed, an the t-line AB 8 i seen too

Are you looking for a heavy low end, or one that blends with the rest of the output? that would be great

How important is sound quality compared to loudness? im hoping these 8's have a good clean, tight sound to them, being that what i paid for them im just hoping for the best

Are you able to cut odd angles? (45*, 7*..) yes

Is this an SPL design? If so, what is your peak frequency? If you do not know this, please measure your average cabin length in inches! 130"

Any specific enclosure preferences (Double baffled, flush mount, center slot, blowthrough, home environment etc)?

Other notes

See less See more
#2 ·
Thankyou for filling out a request! I am wanting to do a t-line for this as the enclosure should provide good quick response for things like metal, with good low end extension as well as over all tonality.

The only thing is 300 per sub may be enough to push them past excursion down low. We could combat this by keeping excursion in-check past the expected passband, but this leads to good and bad:

Good - Possible extension below 30hz, due to effectively tuning very low to keep excursion in check and 'loaded'

Bad - Low tuning requires long line length, large box. Leads to less output overall.

Taking a look at your cabin size shows potential for good gain, particularly around 30/60hz. I should be able to model these soon and let you know what I find.

#3 ·
awesome info surreal !!

when you say less output, how bad could it wind up being?

cant wait for your final thoughts,
the subs should show up tomorrow, an i need to pick up sum more material, but other than that, this will be my first actual build log ill be doing

#7 ·
Already found those, but thanks.

QTS is derived from QMS and QES.. which you can get QTS, but cant get the others from QTS alone.. :(

I believe Ive found something that will work well. It gives a slight peak at the low end but nothing that should be over bearing. Keeps excursion in check to at least 28hz so you should be fine on most all music.

Ill update the thread once it has been drawn.

#8 · (Edited)
#10 · (Edited)
Thats weird, I have it set to default to 1 and you are unable to change quantity.
Let me know if you cant figure it out, or try clearing the cart? If not, I can delete your account so it can be recreated. Ive yet to have this issue, sorry!

#13 ·
my subs arrived today, an low an behold theres a screwdriver hole in the surround

talk about a sick feeling, im almost ready to scrap the whole build,

maybe when my blood pressure gets back to normal ill try an patch it up,

started laying out my boards, fu.. im halfway thru the layout part an getting ready for the cuts, i got a few bucks tied up in it now so i mite as well go thru with it

boohoo

w

#14 ·
my subs arrived today, an low an behold theres a screwdriver hole in the surround

talk about a sick feeling, im almost ready to scrap the whole build,

maybe when my blood pressure gets back to normal ill try an patch it up,

started laying out my boards, fu.. im halfway thru the layout part an getting ready for the cuts, i got a few bucks tied up in it now so i mite as well go thru with it

boohoo

rite out of the box, dammit man

#16 ·
its all taken care of im goin ahead with my build, i got my blood pressure in check lol, an ill give it hell tommorow, pics coming soon, a small skip in my step, ive hit bigger hurdles than that an never batted an eye before, so why stop now
lol
keeping it alive

#17 ·
its all taken care of im goin ahead with my build, i got my blood pressure in check lol, an ill give it hell tommorow, pics coming soon, a small skip in my step, ive hit bigger hurdles than that an never batted an eye before, so why stop now
lol
keeping it alive

#18 ·
well iknow its been awhile, but i got a few boards cut, 1 more 24"x48" mdf board, an ill have my last 2 cuts. the baffle (top) and the bottom of the box (port)

i got the weekend off an i got 3 boxes to squeeze in,

one of toolmakers router jigs is what i really need, got to do it with a jigsaw for now

#19 ·
ill wind up building this whole box with under 1 - 4' x 8' sheet of plywood,

more like 3 of the 1/4 sheets you can buy at home depot

i dont know if you calculated that into it or not surreal, but im gonna give you credit for it lol,

i do have 1 question tho , i was gonna pm you but ill just ask it here while im typing.....

my amp is a 2 channel, im not sure but im guessing since there in the same chamber, i should bridge both 8's, correct?

cant have a left an right signal in there can i?

seems kinda obvious it should be bridged, but im known to throw out a dumb question every now an then lol

#20 ·
Them sharing a chamber or not doesnt dictate how to wire them. It would most likely be bridged but that will depend on the subs. If the subs wire down to 1 and your amp is 2 ohm bridged, probably not a good idea of course.

And appreciate the log here. Keep us updated.

#22 ·
i found sum flex glue, stik'n seal,
thanx man i apreciate the suggestion

my plan is to take a small piece of rubberized elec tape, an glue it to the bottom of the surround, (underneath)
try to keep it as clean as possible,

its got a fat surround,
but the 8 is so tiny tho that it gonna be tuff trying to get it behind it all, whenever its done, an if it looks as cleans as im imagining lol, ill have sum before an after pics, everybody likes pics,

oh yeah an surreal the subs are d4, an the amp im using is a crossfire vr602

4ohm stable
600@4ohm x 1
300@2ohm x 2,

i was thinking of going with the 2 channel config., but now im leaning towards

#26 ·
anytime buck, i still got your number broham, ive been workin a crazy schedule lately, 6-12 hr days, so its work, eat, sleep, repeat lol

im kinda anxious to see what a t-line is all about myself lol,
especially since i tried a few different tuned boxes, even sum sealed boxes an just never could get it rite, just random boxes tho never anything like this,

anyhoo heres a couple pics of what i did today

still need to cut the 45's, i cut a long piece of 3", but then i noticed i only needed 1 -8.5" piece of 3",
an the other 45's need to be 2-3/16" wide,

im gonna have to cut my circles with a jig-saw, im getting pretty good at that tho lol

#27 ·
my camera takes awesome pics in the daylight, but laying in the living room floor the wood does look fuzzy lol,
so anyways tommorow ill post up sum detailed pics of my craftsmanship lol, i mite not get it totally finished tomorrow, ill be close to done, but why rush, more pics sunday

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.