Car Audio Classifieds! banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

alternator setup questions.

410 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  regizzle 
#1 ·
currently got my 250 amp alternator from mechman last night, installing it today. should i fuse the line? and i should use a 250 amp fuse if i do right? and does the anl fuse box have to be waterproof? Its a 1996 chevy tahoe so the alternator isnt close to the ground so i dont really think theres a chance it'll get wet but yea...

Also, my altertnator has a ground post on it, Where should i put the ground? Same place i have my engine block to frame ground? (already have big 3.)

#2 ·
Most people ground everything in their system to the same spot, In my friends truck I grounded the negative post to the battery and made sure I had a very good battery ground.

Oh, and the line in his truck isn't fused, it's up to you though, I would fuse it if you even have the slightest idea or thought that it could get cut or wet.

#3 ·
Generally we do not fuse the alternator cable because it is so short and direct, but you can fuse it if you want. The fuseholder does not have to be waterproof, as long as your cable is sealed with heat shrink so that it cannot corode.

Ground cable should run from ground stud on alternator to negative terminal of the battery.

#5 ·
Leave your OEM wiring, add the 1/0 cable in addition to that wiring.

The alternator should be grounded from the provided stud directly to the battery negative post for the best performance.

For the charge cable, you can fuse if you like, some do, some don't. If you fuse it I would recommend 300a and carry a spare, the heat under the hood combined with the sustained current from the alternator can cause fuse failure in extreme cir***stances.

#8 ·
Yep! currently wired to 2 15" JBL 300 rms each but my amp is an autotek mm2000.1d (old version) so that sucker eats current like a lesbi4n eating... yea. haha, barely ever any voltage drop at idle, if any maybe a .1 drop for about a second on initial hit, Very very happy with the alternator. Just need to buy the AVM to bring it up to 14.8 vs the 14.2 set point im currently at. and install my lvl 4 18 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.