Car Audio Classifieds! banner

single 10/12 w7 owners spl?

1K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  Juicy24055 
#1 ·
wondering what a respectable DB would be to shoot for with a single 10w7 and a single 12w7 in a trunk seets down ported around 32-35 with about 1000 watts? i currently own one of each and for fun plan on metering them both (separately):thumbsup: just wondering what you guys have seen im not familiar.... also 200 amp alt and 0 gauge big 3...

Thanks,
Justin

#4 ·
I have a 12w7 and a 13w7.. got the 12w7 from a buddy. he had it in a Tiberon hatchback in a chitty box with horrid electrical on a AQ2200d (around 625rms @ 3 ohm) did a 136.6 on the dash windows up, doors closed

so a 140 with 1 12w7 isnt out of the question

#6 ·
this is true also.. the W7 wasnt made to be a SPL sub, but it does move alot of air due to its large concave cone and lots of excursion.
W7's are meant to be tuned low. so do better than most on a meter tuned @ 32hz or lower.

My 13w7 is in a 2.75cu ft box tuned to 29hz and its just amazing but prolly wouldnt score nothing crazy on a meter. and my 12w7 is in a Tline enclosure

#9 ·
I've seen/heard a 10w7 in 1.75 cubes to 34 @ 36 doing 131.5 in a van sealed, and ultimately, it's sq just isn't was disappointed in w7s as that was the first one I've heard in a good box and still was let down.

I mean if you like it though, do your thing.

#11 ·
come see me bro.. i let u hear my 13w7AE on a JL 1000/1v2

my 12w7 isnt super loud the box was made for accuracy below 36hz not loudness

#15 ·
legal? TL? dash, headrest, kick panel? sealed?

#16 ·
yea i didn't expect to hear anything super crazy.. thats why i asked.. if i get over a 140 that would be cool maybe something to shoot for? the 10 is in the ho enclosure from jl it sounds great!!! no clue what its tuned to.. low 30s if i had to guess it smashes the lows good on the 500/1 but im going to switch to an mtx 7801 i have for a bit more power and get a box built for this 12 so i can swap them out and decide which one to keep..

#17 ·
i highly doubt its gonna do over a 140 in a trunk..others posting over 140s are likely not in trunks. Im not an spl guru by any means, but my sa12 was only doing 139 on music in my trunk on 750w.

#18 ·
i saw last weekend an honda civic hatchback doing a 141.5 with a 12w7 and 1200 watts on a daily box, the guy was also a noob, so i don´t doubt that you can get a 140 with that sub if you take some great inputs and advices from loud people on this forum :)

#30 ·
What type of car? Vehicle dynamics can either boost or cut your sq or spl

its an 04 impala...

yea i didn't buy any of this stuff new i ended up buying the 10w7 in the HO enclosure with the jl500/1 its been strapped to its whole life from a close friend who bought it new.. he needed the cash and since iv e had a pair of 12w3s that i bought brand new in 04 that just loved taking 1000 watts for years (lots of full tilt and did well on the old mic back then) with amazing sq and bass in a sealed enclosure so i knew i couldent go wrong with the w7 plus it was a good price:thumbsup:.... then a few weeks back... same thing with another friend and his 7801d 12w7 and custom box for his 05 chev p/u his mtx component set and jl300/4... so now im stuck with basicly 3 systems... half tempted to sell it all and start new :)

#20 ·
I seen two 13.5 W7s do around a 153-155... cant remember which

#21 ·
I don´t think there´s a sub that can´t get a nice score, just have to test them a lot, i´ve seen huge scores around here with kenwood equipment, THAT´S RIGHT, kenwood!! 155.3 sealed on the dash using 4 12´s 70$ a piece and 7000 watts lol

#26 ·
w7 isnt a bad sub at all... on forums it is cuz everyone hates what they cant afford.... i garentee 50% of caco thhink skar is better...

by all means only thing ill nut hug is treo but jl audio really isnt bad... there one of the originators of mainstream that never sold out and makes great products but at a very high cost

price would of went down but the market still pays it to this day, w7s and jl amps are top dollar all day everyday on ebay used and new

i have a set og orig w3 in jl ho box i put in my blazer today to get some noise til i sell them and if anyone heard it theyd be amazed!

#27 ·
Totally agree with your statement, I've own every JL sub except for the 18w6 and back them up 100%, I will never buy skar products after reading and people telling me about the owner...

#29 ·
yea he got the btl from me. He traded that AQ2200D for a Jl 1000/1 then blew the Jl within a week or 2 lol. he refuses to upgrade his electrical, lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.