Car Audio Classifieds! banner

box help for 10's please

310 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  slowpoke 
#1 ·
i have been crunching some numbers figuring out what else i can add to my suburban build with what room is left that im willing to give up. im looking at either 2 aq sdc2.5 10's or 1 hdc3 10.

for the sdc2.5's i came up with a box at 2.91cuft after displacements. breaking it down for building the shared slot port in the middle of the box(i think i did this right) i factored half of the box area and half of the port width to figure how long for both sides the port should be tuned at 34hz. it came to 1.45cuft per side with 10.5X1X14.21 for the port for each sub. this leaving me with a 2inch port in the middle of the box. again i think i did that right, if not please correct me.

for the hdc3 10 i came up with 2.76cuft after displacements with a slot port tuned to 34hz at 10.5X3X21.97.

if i did that right, which of the 2 do you think would sound better. the amp i intend to run for either set up is a 1250.1.

#2 ·
Why are you splitting a "shared" port? I don't know why people make it so complicated. Just plug in your net volume and pick a port area and tuning to get the port length. If you want to split it in half or make 3 or 4 or whatever, just split up the port area and keep the same length.

Also, why are you adding 10's to a build with 12's? You can't just jab as many different size subs as you can fit into the same vehicle. Well, you can... but the results will probably be less than desireable.

#3 ·
10's are the biggest i can fit with what room i have left to work with. thats why i just started thinking the hdc3 10 might be best since it will still be the same motor, coil, suspension so on. just the cone will be slightly smaller. i think my chances will be better that way for mixing in with the 12's. again im not sure my theory is correct. thats why im asking. im sure there are alot of people here that know far far more than me.

#4 ·
just got off of the phone with AQ and they say that the hdc3 10 will work good with the 3 hdc3 12's but the sdc2.5's would be a bad idea.

so now i need to decide if i want to go with the hdc3 10 or do the extra work to fit in a 4th 12.

from what folks have been saying so far im starting to lean toward the 12. but man the 10 would be so much easier lol

#5 ·
after some more research, pm's sent to me, talking to aq, and doing some measurements i decided im going to shift the box forward, wall off th aft section with another box the same size as a single chamber for the 3 12's and add the 4th hdc3 12. ty for those that pitched in with opinions and suggestions helping me decide what to do here. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.