Car Audio Classifieds! banner

Simple Box

790 views 24 replies 6 participants last post by  socalxj 
#1 ·
I have a 10" Bravox UXP DVC 4 ohm sub. I would be running it from a 4 channel amp - one voicecoil per channel (300rms total). It will be going in the back of my 98 wrangler behind my rear seats, so space is limited.

My max dimension are 35" wide, 10.5" deep, and 12" tall. Tuned to 28hz-34hz? And box around 1ft^3?

I believe this sub can be either ported or sealed, but I have always had a ported enclosure, so I'd like to stick with ported.

Here are some details about the sub:
Bravox UXP10D-4 Ultimate Performance Plus 10" DVC Subwoofer 269-526

For those that would rather not click the link:
Power Handling (RMS) 300 Watts
Power Handling (max) 600 Watts
Impedance 4+4 ohms
Frequency Response 30 to 1,500 Hz
Sensitivity 88 dB 2.83V/1m
Resonant Frequency (Fs) 35 Hz
DC Resistance (Re) 3.6 + 3.6 ohms
Voice Coil Inductance (Le) 0.97 mH M
echanical Q (Qms) 7.33
Electromagnetic Q (Qes) 0.47
Total Q (Qts) 0.44
Compliance Equivalent Volume (Vas) 1.48 ft.³
Maximum Linear Excursion (Xmax) 8.0 mm

OPTIMUM CABINET SIZE
Sealed Volume 0.63 ft.³
Sealed F3 63 Hz
Vented Volume 1.64 ft.³
Vented F3 32 Hz

Thanks for anyone that tries this. I do not understand how to get the right tuning frequency for a ported box. I hope someone is able to whip this up in just a few seconds/minutes. It would be much appreciated.

-Kyle

See less See more
#3 ·
Honestly, I don't really care. Whichever is easiest or that you think would sound the best. I'm no longer going to the extremes with car audio, college is taking priority.

Slot is probably easier but I have lots of pvc pipe lying around in my shop also, so your choice.

#4 · (Edited)
With those dims you get 1.83^3. And with it calling for 1.6~^3 does not leave much room for slot port.

But a 4" aero tuned 33~Hz at a length of 16-17~" should yield you right at 8^2in p/ft which would be ideal. With 1.6cu. Net.

That's if you can fit it and not choke the port off.

(i could have miscalculated and be wrong though ;) )

#5 ·
I could always have the port extend out of the box. It can be 35" wide or so

#7 ·
Where does the sub mount at? And thanks!

#9 ·
Thanks hopefully this box will sound great. I'm just worried about it firing right at the tailgate, but I don't have much choice with my wrangler for box options lol

#12 ·
It's literally probably less than an inch...

#11 ·
Probably like 2 inches, if that. I can check when I get off work tonight

#13 · (Edited)
I don't think that box design will work with the port that close to tailgate. If the port went up, then it would work fine - is it possible to just make that change to the box? Also I miscalculated and it can only be 33" long with it being that tall and wide. I'll get a picture of the space in a minute

EDIT: Here is a picture of the space I'm talking about - maybe it'll help. As you can tell, I could get more room if I did a slanted box but I assumed those were harder to design, I wanted to keep a rectangle. Although it doesn't bother me on building it

#15 ·
Yeah, but it doesn't provide as much bass, does it? That's what I've always been told. Or at least not as low/deep

#16 · (Edited)
Yes output is hindered, but more accurate/punchy bass. IMO your gonna choke the sub off with not having much room for it. I might be wrong though .

Edit, just saw the pic , if you can utilize that slant, then you should have the room

#17 · (Edited)
Well maybe sealed is better then so that I still have some trunk room

So now I need a new design lol

#18 ·
Designing a sealed box is simple right? All I need is to make is a 1 cubic foot box, right?

#20 ·
Yeah but is that sealed specs before or after sub displacement?

#23 ·
Alright, I will make a .75 box then. Thanks guys for the help, appreciate it.

#24 · (Edited)
Which direction should I have the sub face? Towards the front, rear, or up?

EDIT: I think I'm going to mount is on the side, that way it gets plenty of air. My dimensions I came up with are: 12" tall, 10.5" deep, and 10.75" wide/long

Another Edit: I forgot to factor in the .75" of the wood, so I lengthened it to 15.25 inches instead of 10.75" to come up with .75195 cubic feet for the interior volume

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.