Car Audio Classifieds! banner

Digital Designs general discusion

86K views 1K replies 132 participants last post by  imlouder 
#1 ·
This thread to discuss general Digital Designs products. DD is coming out with a lot of new equipment lately; 21" DDZ, super 8 (high excursion 8 with 2500 series motor), 9900 (4" coil with larger then 9500 series motor), and always making changes to current models. If its info about DD audio, its not off topic.

This thread is not for "haters" or people to come here complaining that they think DD is too expensive. I made this thread because overall I have been happy with the products and want to learn more.

The new 21" DDZ discussion thread...
[url]http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/general-car-audio-discussion-questions/153787-digital-designs-new-21-inch-sub.html[/URL]

For those that still think DD's don't plays lows... 4 9518's on 10,800 watts tuned to 37 hz and still doing 155.3 at 27 hz. 160+ kick at 46 hz.
[url]http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/car-audio-videos/154283-4-9518s-2-m4as-400-fps.html[/URL]

#2 ·
I have a theory that I've yet to challenge about the myth of the no lows. The majority of people here and every other forum, has people saying to build all dd enclosures with massive ports. 18, 20 inches per cube. I've even seen more suggested. The bigger ports will play louder but usually not lower. Restricting the rear wave would bring more lows and less peak, meaning a smoother response to even higher frequencies. Dd suggests 16" per cube for a reason. With most DD's being way underrated on power handling, the average person not chasing numbers could do better lows with less port area to widen the bandwidth, and more power to raise the volume levels. Most will agree that nearly all of the DD subs could handle close to or more than double power if done correctly and cleanly.

#6 ·
For daily enclosures, what my local DD dealer does is build his DD enclosures about 25% bigger then manufacture specs and about 17" port per cu for 2500 series and lower. 17-17.5" for 3500 series and 18+ for 9500 series. He typically tunes 36-38 hz depending on vehicle and type of music customers listen to. And all of his setups that I've heard have been extremely efficient, impressively flat, play the really fast punchy notes and still played 30hz or even mid to high 20 hz with authority.

With the huge enclosures and lots of motor force there tends to be a lot of box rise. Might be a good idea to wire down to .5 ohms.

#7 ·
They have some super 8 pics on DD's facebook.

DD Nuthuggers thread
lol

I'm not a DD hater but I would not run their products. I do not agree with their business tactics (has nothing to do with pricing)
That's perfectly ok. I think they do a good job supporting there local dealers and I respect that.

#11 ·
all i can say is when i was running my 2 dd9512's in a box tuned to 28hz with 15.66" per ft port it played the lows very well and was very flat

#12 ·
You have to respect what DD has done in the SPL world, but recently they've fallen off from that "family owned business". They are about the money 100% now. That's their right for sure. But I still love to see the extremes they come in. Idk if another woofer all around beats the Z.

#13 · (Edited)
I won't go into detail. I knew Mr.Langford personly. He was impressed with my composite enclosures. I made boxes for him and some customers. I made the box in Mr. DD's tacoma. We(my enclosure+DD amp and sub)had a 8" enclosure with a DD plate amp and 1508 which weighed in @ around 20 lbs that won a product of the year category at Sema in 06. CA&E blasted it cause DD won't advertise. All I have to say is he tries hard to keep as much of his products made in the us of a! Nice family and hope all is well in OK city! Thank's again Jassa for everything!:D::)

#14 ·
Hope this makes sense...

Larger port= less bandwidth but more efficiency

Smaller port= larger bandwidth but less efficiency

You can tune to 35 with 16" port and play from 25-55 hz.

Or you can tune to 35 with 18" port. You might not be as loud at 25-26 hz but you will mostlikely be significantly louder from 32-40 hz (maybe even 30-31 hz).

The lows especially move a lot of air. By restricting the port area, you're increasing the pressure and restricting the efficiency of lows. To top it off DD's move a lot air so need more port then typical woofer. The stiffer suspension allows them to be run far below tuning even with a larger box and larger sized port.

My me... I love lows. I mostly care to be loud from 28-40hz. I want some output from 40-50hz and have my mid bass drivers can take over higher frequencies.
My ideal box for a 9512 on 3k (depending on vehicle) would be 2.75-3.0 cu tuned to around 32-33 hz with a massive 18-19" port per cu or maybe an 8" aero. That would be a one big ass box with big ass port displacement but I'll get the performance that I am looking for. To minimize port displacement, I could tune to 34 hz with 17.5" port per cu.

#17 ·
My Z 15s in 9 cubes with 148" of port tuned to 33 slam. Wont try really playing below 30hz til they break in some more. Loudest setup Ive had yet. I think the 95z15s I have wouldve done well in this new box as well. They were lows-only monsters in the 6th order i had them in. Vented is definitely the only way to go with em

#19 ·
I dont like the sound of the composite cones. When its time to recone I will be going to paper cones/big carbon dust caps like my 95z's. They sound great. Freakin slam the lows. Some of the best sounding woofers Ive had. From my past experience with carbon cones on other 95Z's and 9500s, I will stick to paper cones.

Reactions: Eocuph
#33 ·
They dont make the Z95's anymore either :(
I was told because of the cost to price ratio, sales just werent high enough to justify them. And with the S/C option coming out, they just decided to halt production on them. So sad :(

My favorite woofer of all time is the 95Z.

#34 ·
I did direct swap out testing but with no clamp numbers. Two identical woofers, one supercharged, one not. Ive got videos somewhere of some sandbagged burp numbers

#39 ·
#42 ·
Thanks. .67 db gain is nice. Could have possibly gained more once it was broken in more.

That's where it's at. DD is great stuff, but me, personally, I'd rather have more cone area than pay for DD. I can make most any sub do what I want because I can design.

The main thing DD has going for them is Alan Dante, they are still the loudest woofers at 183.4 to my knowledge. So that speaks, even though it's like 12 12's on 210,000 watts or something like that.
Yup everyone is different. I switch out different subs and brands all the time. Just been missing my only 9500 so in my next build I will be running DD's. Not sure if I will be a pair of 9515's, bunch of super 8's or someone's used Z 18::)

#41 ·
DD's recone prices are very competitive. Actually cheaper than Sundown nightshade recones and Psi recones the last time I checked.

#43 ·
I love how the OP states right up front that he wants to "discuss" DD but doesn't want any downsides to DD mentioned. Nuthuggery at his finest. Don't get me wrong, the 95s are sexy and can definitely make noise. All of their equipment is pretty decent quality imo. But.... their shit is not made of gold.. even though they choose to price it like it is.

For 99% of car audio enthusiasts, they are the worst value I have seen since JL in the mid 90s lol. Their amps do rated and then some, cleanly.. but so many other companies do too... just as clean for considerably less $$ per watt... And their subs are nice too.. but they are subs... They aren't generally louder than anyone else's top tier equipment, nor do they do anything else that the competitors don't.

I already put on my nuthuggerproof suit, so flame away. Nice gear, poorly priced, and that is relatively difficult to dispute.

#44 ·
I love how the OP states right up front that he wants to "discuss" DD but doesn't want any downsides to DD mentioned. Nuthuggery at his finest. Don't get me wrong, the 95s are sexy and can definitely make noise. All of their equipment is pretty decent quality imo. But.... their shit is not made of gold.. even though they choose to price it like it is.

For 99% of car audio enthusiasts, they are the worst value I have seen since JL in the mid 90s lol. Their amps do rated and then some, cleanly.. but so many other companies do too... just as clean for considerably less $$ per watt... And their subs are nice too.. but they are subs... They aren't generally louder than anyone else's top tier equipment, nor do they do anything else that the competitors don't. Had Alan Dante chosen a different high end manufacturer, he could have likely achieved the same results. Notice he didn't use DD amps? He could have probably, and money was not likely the issue. 180kw is 180kw as long as it is clean and you can support it. And 5kw is 5kw as long as it is clean. With DD amps you are paying for the badge.

I already put on my nuthuggerproof suit, so flame away. Nice gear, poorly priced, and that is relatively difficult to dispute.

#46 ·
I have owned several DD products and none of them did me any wrong. When I was younger and was working in the oilfield living at home I bought up a 9915Z and put it into a box I had tuned @ 32 hz powered by a SS XXX6500D and it broke after two days... Being that young and uneducated I was pissed at the cost to get it fixed and wasnt overly to impressed with the output compared so several other subs I had to play with. But coming to realize that is a LOT of power daily to any sub plus I am sure I had the gains cranked :)

I will say they are a weee bit over priced, but I say that because I am affiliated with teams and get competitor pricing on a lot of equipment. My 8ks are more powerful and cheaper than a M4A, so take that as you will. DD has been around a while and has been proven.... DD reminds me a lot like Atomic. Been here a long time, have AWESOME products that are pricey but you gotta pay to play.

#48 ·
If I got team prices on crossfire, I would jump all over the low voltage 8ks. Awesome amps!

Part of the reason DD is so expensive is we pay the dealer fee and as much USA made parts as possible. I don't think that DD (the company) makes more $ on a 9500 then say sundown makes on a ns/zv3. Also I don't see DD going anywhere. I haven't seen any car audio brand on caco with 34k likes on FB. The likes obviously doesn't mean everything but still a good indication of amount of customers.

#47 · (Edited)
Biggest problem with forum idiots is they see flooded markets from hundreds of team dc/sundown members reselling their equipment at the price they paid constantly.

And since dd doesn't have a team their products hold their resale value which support their deaker markets. And in turn gives the impression of inflated prices when its just other companies devaluing their own products with large worthless "teams".

I may be mindlessly ranting.

Reactions: Tkelly
#51 ·
I understand what you're saying.

Two of my buddies did drop in testing between the HDC310 copper and 9510F with aluminum coils, consistant 3db difference, oddly enough they loved the same exact box and port after testing tons of variations. It worked out nice though having a cheap sub to beat on for testing and throw in the DDs for world finals.
Wow that's a huge gain!

I'm just here to be a nuthugger
Teach me something new or get outta my thread ;) jk

#49 ·
Two of my buddies did drop in testing between the HDC310 copper and 9510F with aluminum coils, consistant 3db difference, oddly enough they loved the same exact box and port after testing tons of variations. It worked out nice though having a cheap sub to beat on for testing and throw in the DDs for world finals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.