Car Audio Classifieds! banner

do i need dsp or not?

809 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  SPLEclipse 
#1 ·
i have a 2013 jeep grand cherokee with the 9 speaker upgrade and stock 430n navigation system, i was told the stock headunit has a built in dsp . I want to keep the stock unit and add a 4 channel amp to power 6.5" components up front, 6.5 coaxls in the rear, 1 monoblock amp and 2 12's.

I have told the stock eq is not good and the built in dsp is not good with the crossover points etc. I posted here in the jeep forums and also on this site already but people have have gotten foncused.

Essentially im gonna keep the center speaker and 2 rear pillar speakers on the stock amp. But i wanna power the 2 sets of speakers with a 4 channel and 2 12's.

confused on depth for my 2013 jeep grand cherokee 6x9s - Page 2 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

#4 ·
care to explain why? It have been told i need to flatten the signal first in order to tune it right and thats basically the only reason. My tuner has a RTA, SMD tools etc. Can he get away with tuning with those on the amps eq? Or do i really NEED a dsp?

here is the factory frequency responses of the speakers of my car.
Factory Frequency Response - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

it goes into decent depth. But im wondering for my equipment if its truly needed or if i can get away with a good LOC and set the eq at the amp since the HU adjusts itself i believe. I also dont want to have to control the volume only by a knob coming off a dsp

#6 · (Edited)
does that also effect the output of the subwoofer? Do all dsp not allow you to use your headunite volume control? Sorry for these stupid questions. Just trying to learn. Also with the mini dsp do you have to have a remote to control volume like the other dsp?

So lets say my stereo sounds good to me now, just slightly distorted when i turn it up too loud. If i do a 4 channel, monoblock and a loc and tune at amp, is it gonna sound louder than it is at the same quality? Or will quality be improved at all with addind the amp. Like i said im not looking for the best SQ.

also you said it reduces the lower frequency output as i turn up the headunit. Say it reduces the lower frequency output, does that mean if my sub box is 33hz that when i play a note that low without a dsp it wont have good output compared to if it was connected to a regular HU or a dsp?

again im just trying to learn. sorry for the dumb questions

which do you recommend?

#9 ·
If you just want more output while keeping the sound the same, it would probably be best to try a tiered approach. First add your subs and amps while keeping everything else the same. Use LOC(s) to send the factory signals into the amps and tap back into the stock speaker wiring to send the amp outputs to the stock speakers and the sub amp.

The next thing to try would be to replace the front/rear speakers with the aftermarket ones.

If you are still not happy you could use a DSP to better fine-tune the sound. However - you will have to make some choices. Because the factory headunit changes the response as you increase volume, you would be better off keeping a fixed volume on the headunit and adjust the whole system volume from an external remote. This would also mean you would need to run all of the speakers from the DSP.

Also note that not all DSPs can "un-EQ" and sum multiple signals from the stock headunit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.