Car Audio Classifieds! banner

aero or slot?

2K views 49 replies 11 participants last post by  skmfkr 
#1 ·
well im designing a box for 2 12's not sure which ones yet possibly ( dc xl's, dd3512's, something like that) with around 2-3k i have a few designs in my other thread but its not the same so i started this one. Box will be around 5 ft3 max (can go smaller) it will be a Daily Driver no comps but plenty of demos.

1. What should i tune to?
2. 2 3" aeros, 1 6" aero, or a 3 inch slot port, or any other suggestions

#2 · (Edited)
i did 3cf net with 1 6" aero my 2 12" xl. i think you would be better off with the xl's seems to me that dd/aq subs like big boxes. how is your box now?id guess like subs facing forward or down and port to the side

#3 ·
well im max demensions are 16wX45lX18h. it will be a center console replacement for my quad cab ram. subs up and port either up, fwd firing into the dash, or at a 45degree angle firing into the dash/roof, or if i go slot port then i can fire it at a 45degree angle back into the rear/roof

i cant post pics on this computer but ill give you this. pics on the last page
http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=59438

#4 ·
well id forget the 2 3" aeros cuz its not enough port area you need 2 4" aeros atleast. a single 6" is actually more port area than 2 4". how long is the slot port you said 3" so id guess its 3" wide by how long? well you said 16w so 16w minus 1.5" from the wood on each side the port i guess is 14.5x3 so 43.5 square inches that would work.

#5 ·
well id forget the 2 3" aeros cuz its not enough port area you need 2 4" aeros atleast. a single 6" is actually more port area than 2 4". how long is the slot port you said 3" so id guess its 3" wide by how long?
depending on tuning, i havent figured length out yet.

#6 ·
i meant the port width and height not the legnth i know that depends on box size tuning and port area was just trying ot figure out your port area. does this back go from the back wall up to the dash?

#8 ·
guess i was confused
in this case the box goes from up against the rear seats all the way touching the dash. port would be 3x14x?

#7 ·
I always prefer aeros over slot ports.

You can get more volume with less air space sacraficed, they're easier to tune, less weight, and I have NEVER, EVER, had any port noise from any of the aero ports I've used.

#9 ·
yeah only problem with aeros well two actually is trying to fit your subs and the port on the same baffle. slots are a little easier since you can change the shape of them. and also having enough depth for the aero since you cant bend them. but yeah they do save alot of space which is why i went with a 6" aero for my 2 12s box since the reason i wanted to run 2 12s from 2 15s was to have more room in the back

#14 ·
You know, I will say this...I have noticed a difference in sound, but not noise, with smaller aeros. When I've used 4" aero ports (as opposed to 6" & 8"), I've noticed that with certain songs (mostly lower notes; low 30s) I get a more "restrictive" sound, which I'm sure that the smaller cir***ference is playing a major role. I've also only ever used flared aeros...I've never used just a strait tube...[/quote]

its actually a flared percision port and its a hard slappingsound, however when i move the box (its temp box) firing the port into my rear seat i get no noise so it just needs something to load off of

#17 ·
not sure which one you are talking about the sketchups have the slot angled back not straight up. but the aeros are straight up.

#18 ·
I'd do two 4" aeros

#23 ·
I have 3 4" in my 7.5cube box after displacement each port is 10.75in including flared ends tuned to 32.8hz. Just make sure to have enough port area

#26 ·
go the 2 4" route so you dont have to go stupid long with the ports hence why I used 3

#27 ·
so i dont have the room will the 2 4" aeros to be 4 inches from everything including eachother. is it that big of a deal to have them 4 inches from anything else?

#32 ·
good idea however i want the subs up. i like to see them lol. if they get **** up then ill get new ones :lmao:

#34 · (Edited)
well sketched up a few more options that i think im going to go with 1 of the 2 but im still tweaking it. what do you think?

the first one the ports are directly in line with the front seat belts, not sure how that will sound and feel. might be to much of a breeze so i did the second one

#37 · (Edited)
if i go with 2 4" they need to be 20" long for 32hz tuning the box is 15" high. or 21.41 for the same tuning with a single 6" aero. thats also why i posted that same question a page or so back

use the largest aero u can so the least amount of air is coming in contact with a surface

6" aero imo should be used, 3 more sqin but more importantly, more efficient than 2 4"

just have the aero port stick out as much as u need to allow for your height restrictions
the only thing is its a daily driver and im not sure i want the aero stiching out. i was just playing on bending the ports.

#36 ·
use the largest aero u can so the least amount of air is coming in contact with a surface

6" aero imo should be used, 3 more sqin but more importantly, more efficient than 2 4"

just have the aero port stick out as much as u need to allow for your height restrictions

#40 · (Edited)
most ppl dont bend arrows they only use them at the full legnth. any longer and you usually just use a slot port. which is what i suggested to you already. if you really want to tune to 32hz id just make the box 3.5 and use a full legnth aero but you would need the box to be atleast 2" from the end of the port. atleast i think 2" would be enough ive got my 6" like 3.25" from the bottom of my box. also id suggest tuning a little higher like 35-36 to keep the port legnth down. ive got my xl's tuned to 37hz a friend has tuned to 38hz and scott s im pretty sure is tuned to 39hz and all play down to 30hz just fine

#41 · (Edited)
ok cool thanks for the info. if i have to bend the aero ill just go slot. and ill mess around with the higher tuning. thanks alot

well 1 6" aero tuned to 38hz will be 11.68 so that leaves me 2.32" from the bottom. i could however make a spacer to bring the port up a few inches and still make is look good.

#42 ·
yeah that would work. is the baffle two pieces of .75 or only one? how would you fit 1 6" i think you would be better off with 2 4" aeros the way you have been showing in your sketches. i get 12.9" long port for 2 4" aeros in 3cf tuned to 29hz not sure how you got 12.6 with 1 6" at 38hz unless you did a bigger box

#44 ·
i thought i posted the pics with 1 6" ill post them right after this. baffle is 2 .75 sheets however the subs will be mounted on only 1 with the other raised like the pics. id do the 1 6" aero like these pics... oh and i did a 3.5 cuft box for that measurement.

Using PVC elbows to bend the port works just fine, hell the SQ build log on here uses external port with elbows.
Just measure the inside and outside length of the elbow and use the use the number in the middle of the 2 measurements to figure length.
When I build a box to 'play' with tuning on subs I use external PVC with an elbow or connector so I can take the straight piece and trim it to test different tunings.
i was needing this info thanks alot

#46 · (Edited)
oh ok well as long as it fits thats fine i thought you would fit the 2 4" aeros better so you plan to uses some rings on top of the box to mount the top flare to? with 3.5net i got 12.5 long for 37 and 11.5 for 38hz

#49 ·
yes if i go this route ill use rings to make a pillar or ill taper them and glass them into the box to it will "flow" there are just so many options
the 4' Fit better but 6 is more port area

#47 ·
Maybe some else can double check this but I believe the rule of thumb with PVC is try to keep the port its radius away from anything in the box -> walls - subs - bracing. At least thats what I try to do.
This will help keep the tuning closer to calculated.

#48 ·
Maybe some else can double check this but I believe the rule of thumb with PVC is try to keep the port its radius away from anything in the box -> walls - subs - bracing. At least thats what I try to do.
This will help keep the tuning closer to calculated.
that is correct however i cant with the aeros

#50 · (Edited)
thats what ive always heard but my box for 2 xl 12s with 1 6" aero is only 3.25" from the bottom of my box to the port opening and we had to cut one side cuz it was too close to the side of the box and it works fine. the way it look it having the aero so close to the one side of the box is the same as doing a slot port and using the side of the box as the port wall well actually you you 3 sides of the box has a port wall and then just add wood for the 4th side. but unless i tried a different box with the same specs as my current box and kept the port furthering from the floor then i cant really confirm that my box works perfectly. but im not trying to get the most db's out of this box or anything i just know it sounds just fine. if i was going for numbers id just do a big slot port like ive been thinking about doing. btw my box i did a 147 at 39hz which i think for most ppl they would be happy but i think i could get closer to a 149 with a big slot port but ill have to try it and found out. i did a 151.3 at 41hz with my 2 15s so i was thinking id be about 2db down with 2 12s.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.