Got this sub a while back. Just thought I’d post up the project I was working on since I don’t post much. Just an experimental basic box really, wanted to try a side firing port, sonotube, etc. Original plan was to make a 6” PVC aero, but did not want to spend that much. So I settled on an 8” quick-tube / sonotube. I’ll post the sketchup I did, but it shows the aero.
After all displacement the box is just a hair under 4 cubes. I have a port tuned to 42hz & another / half external tuned to 35hz. Want to play around with tuning so probably have some higher tuned ones as well.
I’m not the best wood worker / don’t really have the tools for it & might do things “not quite right”, but just like experimenting with stuff, so it’s probably not an ideal box, but that’s how you learn, trying stuff out. Still needs some sanding.
On a side note this was a super cheap build, got the sub for free from a forum member & seen the MDF sheet free on CL, went out & picked it up around midnight off the curb, lol. Picture it halfway hanging out of a 1991 Lincoln Town Car trunk with some bungee cords keeping it from moving “much” for a 15-20 minute drive! Virtually a full sheet of 3/4” as well as a sheet of 1/2” MDF, haha. I only used the 3/4” sheet.
Only stuff I bought was screws, dowel rod & the port tube. I’ve never used dowel rod for bracing & just wanted to test it out as I seen it while I was there.
Here are the box build pics: (plus sub repair pics, I used E-6000 adhesive for the dustcap)
First dustcap I bought got damaged in shipping, shipping it in a bubble mailer is a bad idea in my opinion, but the seller was easy to deal with & he sent a new one in a box as I requested.
Again probably not an ideal box, just something I wanted to test out. I ran it on about 500w & it was not too impressive, lol, have to see how it does when I can get more power on it. I will likely mainly use this for testing amplifiers I repair at the bench for now & was one of the reasons for the build.