03 Turbo S beetle Build - Car Audio Classifieds!
Car Audio Classifieds!  

Go Back   Car Audio Classifieds! > Car Audio Help & Discussion > Build Logs

Build Logs Post details, pictures and get feedback of your installation, from beginning to end.

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 01:51 PM
CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss140
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 03 Turbo S beetle Build(Sub Revealed)

Hey everyone this is my 03 Turbo S Beetle Build. I had put this on another forum a while back but i figured i would put it over here to share with the community over here. Hope you enjoy it's still in progress with hopes of finishing it by october.

Well my partner called in on me today so had no work. I'm a EMT on a IFT ambulance. So i got my radio installed today since I am still waiting on on my T2 comps to come in. Been waiting for those to get here so i can see where they need to be placed for my fiber glassing to start on my a pillars. So here is a little update on what I actually got done.

Radio out. Didn't have the tool so had to drive to my radio shop for them to remove it.

Wire Harness before

Wire harness after solder and heat shrink

So after i got everything hooked up and running the radio would not slide back into the slot all the way. =/ I had to remove the whole center console.

This is what was in my way. The support bracket behind the radio.

It was easily removed. Was not supporting much anyways.

While i had this apart i decided to change the light bulb in the ac switches that stopped working. little bulb cost me 5 bucks.

After that got it all put back together and this was the outcome. Only bad thing about the whole install is the knob wouldn't work with the face plate. So i had to make a temporary notch. I am going to trim it and fiberglass the face plate to give it a cleaner look when i do the pillars. But over all the sound from the stock unit to this one is very noticeable.

Radio in

Radio open

shot with the gauges in it

And last but not least a night shot

Also got these in the mail the other day. little volt meters cost me five bucks total.

Thanks for checking out my thread. Hopefully i get to post more stuff sooner then later. Need my components to get here.

Last edited by Psychotikcow; 09-08-2013 at 02:09 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2013, 01:52 PM
CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss140

Just a little update on my build progress. Tore out the seats in my back and a rear panel to mock up an idea i came up with. This idea is still in stages. But i ordered me some 80mm fans quietest ones i could find and cost about 2.80 a piece. Got a new face plate for around the radio to get rid of the notch i had to make and just received my b stock of second skin today!

Some fiber glassing stuff i picked up last week

got fans? I am also going to make thermostats for these that will cost me bout 3 bucks each. post those when i get the parts in. 80mm fans.

New trim plates that comes with 3 different options.

Here is what I am working on currently and figuring out how i want this done. I am going to mount the amps behind these panels with lexan windows. one on each side of the car. Each side will have 3-4 fans there will be two seperate thermostats to control the temperature inside the panels. I was holding up the t600 to see if it would even fit and it will. I am currently looking at a t1500 for the other side. Waiting to see about the DC m3 8's. If there not out soon enough im going with 2 or 3 sa 8's. Well here are some pics of what I was doing.

This is under the panel

Propped the amp up to see if it would fit

hold the amp over the panel to get an idea of where is will be.

This is where I am at right now gonna be really slow for the next two weeks. Just purchased an engagement ring for the girlfriend. Hoping to get some actually installing going on to make this thread more exciting. Thanks for checking it out. I have more planned for this build I am just keeping that under wraps till that time comes.

Oh yeah SECOND SKIN

and some beer we picked up from my favorite brewery

last but not least I grabbed a picture of my bug since i had not posted a picture of it yet.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:55 PM
CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss140

Well got my T2652-S in FINALLY! Got a little work done today after running around. Deadened the rear panels. Took a few pictures all I can say is HOLY CRAP it made a huge difference. Here are some pics of current progress.
This is what my rear panels look like stock.

I wanted to deaden everything and the large piece of foam was in my way so i drilled out the rivets to remove the speaker mount.

Here is the size of the foam it went pretty deep.

Here is it with everything removed

i wanted to fill some areas with expandable foam. This shit is messy and even though i know im not gonna see it once its put back together. I taped up the area before using the foam *so it would not get where i did not want it. Tomorrow I am gonna remove the tape and trim the excess with a razor.

Here is a picture of everything with second skin and the foam done. I also picked up poly fill to put in some areas i didn't want to foam. I also know that they recommend 25% coverage but meh i just went all in with it. i like the way it came out. Oh and once again the sound difference is amazing. I recorded it but the hone mic does not do it justice.

*Oh yeah had a helper today was nice. My buddy Eric always willing to help out gotta love good friends.

So that is my progress for today. Going to poly fill the voids tomorrow and trim the foam before the big game. Oh yeah and my sub stage idea has changed. I am going single sealed with a 12. It's looking like it will fit my needs better. Design is set to use a SSA Xcon 12 and will be pushing it with a T1500.1. Thanks for checking out my build can't wait to get more done and share my progress.
The Following User Says Thank You to Psychotikcow For This Useful Post:

Old 08-21-2013, 01:58 PM
CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss140

Holy crap life got busy on me. Been working 50+ hours a week non stop and remodeling the house on the weekends. I have picked up some stuff since my absence and lack of work on my car. So today was around 105 and i think its still around the 80's right now. But i said FU heat and actually got some stuff done to the bug after i got home from work. I just got done working on it now finally got a back seat again. I deadened the roof and under the back seat tonight. Finish poly filling the gaps in the rear side panels and foamed a couple more holes. Since the seat is back in now I am going to figure out the dimension and mock up the trunk/ hatch. Snapped a couple pictures. I sure am glad to get this ball rolling again.
My work space tonight*

It was hot had a fan to try and keep me from sweating less

Got the rear panels finished up

Got my rear seats back finally*

and a new dash mat*

so happy to finally get some progress done and here are a couple pics i snapped real quick to show you what i picked up not to long ago =D its the good stuff
A T1500.1bdcp

AND A!!

360.3!!!!!!!!*
Well thanks for checking this out hopefully i get this updated a little sooner then later next time. Just need to get wiring and still missing the sub.*
pics came out kinda crappy =/*
Old 08-21-2013, 02:09 PM
CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss140

Got a new little toy on Friday.*

so I tried a couple different ring ideas and figured out what i wanted. Here is what i got done today.

a little gluing action

That is what i got done today. Was going to make tweeter pods but it started raining on me. Working outside cause it makes a mess. This is not the finished product. just a start. thanks for checking it out.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:10 PM
CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss140

Long day today. Scavenged some pick a parts, fixed the little sisters car, and worked on my a pillars. Went to pick a part to get pillars from a beetle just in case i mess up. here are pictures of my progress today
a little pick a part action.

My salvaged pillars. I got lucky they had a same year beetle that came in yesterday. Unlucky part was it took me 4 pick a parts to find a beetle.

Cutting of the pillars.

First ring in for the 4 inch.

tweeter mounted

time to make number 2

Matching set

Outside of the car view

Now i just need to wrap and fiberglass. Glad my buddy came over for the extra hand today. Been a fun experience so far can wait for these bad boys to be done.*
Old 08-21-2013, 02:13 PM
CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss140

Got a little work done tonight after working a twelve hour shift.
On to the pics
Picked me up a new toy. 20 gauge pneumatic stapler.

Wrapped the pillars. This was a pain. I used *mix of spandex material and cotton.

Mixed a batch of resin. I used red pigment in the resin.

The resin is a little strong. I have a 3m respirator but i had a lot of fans on so i went with the cheaper mask.

Here is the resin on the pillars.

That is the progress for now. Need a couple more coats of resin then the fun starts with body filler and sanding. Hope you enjoyed my little update.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:14 PM
CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss140

Pillars are coming out. Got a couple coats of resin. Did a test fit and the got them glassed today. On with the pictures. Enjoy!

Finished just in time for it to get dark on me.

Gonna pull some late nights working on these after work this week. Was glad to get this part done today since i had just gotten back from 4 days off at the river. Hope you are enjoying my build.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:16 PM
CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss140

That's where I am at right now sanded the pillars last night. Preparing them for filler. Between working 50+ hours a week and remodelling the fiancÚ new house been rough getting time for these. Hope you like what you see so far more to come soon.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:23 PM
CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss208

Looks Great!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement