Zv4 18 In Cab Ford Ranger Build - Car Audio Classifieds!
Car Audio Classifieds!  

Go Back   Car Audio Classifieds! > Car Audio Help & Discussion > Build Logs

Build Logs Post details, pictures and get feedback of your installation, from beginning to end.

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 07:41 PM
Dem Low Lows

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss45
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Zv4 18 In Cab Ford Ranger Build

Since I'm about to finish up my build, figured I would get some pictures up of the build as it progressed. Start to current state, picture heavy with comments.

To start off, this build happened because I broke my back in a motorcycle crash and made off well from the insurance company pretty much. This along with selling tons of stuff on eBay here and there funded almost this entire build.

So I already had the truck, time to start ordering stuff like a madman.

Very first thing to come in, a bunch of wire from Coleman, although they sent some of the wrong stuff. Was VERY quickly sorted out, sent the correct things that had been left out, and got to keep this stuff for my trouble.

Damn near everything had arrived, piled it up to take some pictures.
Things in the picture: Sundown Zv4 18 D2 signed by Jacob - CT Sounds 2500 bought on pre-order for $550 like a boss - CT Sounds 125.4 for the front stage - Pioneer 80 PRS deck, can't do any better for the price imo - XS Power XP3000 - 4 Toolmaker 6 output battery terminals - set of 0GA to 4GA reducers for the 125.4 - Knu Koncepts RCAs - Knu Koncepts 8GA for subs - Knu Koncepts 16GA for front stage speakers - Skyhigh copper lugs - Couple hundred feet of assorted black and orange Execution CCA - 80sq/ft Execution Audio 60mm deadener - Two 6" Precision Port aero ports

Not included here is the extra deadener a friend let me use when mine ran out, the XS Power D1200 I bought from him for under the hood, and my front stage speakers.

So the weekend of MWSPL the two guys that helped me with my install the most, and a few friends from out of state stayed at a friends house around Jeff City, Missouri. We mainly worked on a trunk car with two Zv4 12s on a Skar 4500. But we also got my head unit installed and did my big 3 upgrade that weekend.

Then it was time to get some wood and get it cut out. Would of been better if my father and I hadn't been doing it on a tablesaw just a little bit too small lol.

Alright so time to seriously get some work done. Worked until the sun came up three days in a row with minimal sleep. It sucked, and at the end we hated life and everything about it. This was the 8th of November to the 11th in the AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2014, 07:42 PM
Dem Low Lows

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss45

still working on box

The sub finally goes into it's happy home!

Got the XP3000 in and wired up for the most part.

Making a false floor and it installed.

Made some on point speaker rings to hold a three year old set of Pioneer components until I actually got my proper front stage speakers in.

Time to put that box in, of course it was a pain even with three people.

So now the moment of glory! We hook it up and get music!!!

Or so you would think, the next few hours were full of sadness and disappointment. No bass happened, because the 80PRS was dead. It's RCA's were shot so we had no signal. But it gets worse of course, the CT Sounds 2500 was dead as well so no bumps. This was the end of a very tiring three days of next to no sleep.

So fast forward to December 7th after I get back from working out of state for awhile. My replacement 80PRS came in and we threw it in. I hadn't had a chance to send my amp off for warranty yet. But one of my friends that helped with the install had a spare Audio System H3000 that he let loaned me until I got my amp back.

Here's a hair trick, not the best but still pretty good considering we had the gain way low down to keep my voltage above 12.5
Sundown Zv4 hair trick - YouTube

And here's a longer video.
Sundown ZV4 18 Audio System H3000.1 hair tricks! W - YouTube

So now everything is dandy, we tuned the amp with a DD-1, first even though we knew we were going to back it down.
Hah, nope more bad luck. About two hours of play, giving demo's to three people, and a little bit of driving around the sub went boom. Somehow we thermaled it. Was able to get it fixed under warranty and the sub just got back from Sundown on Monday, the 10th of February.

While the sub was out of the box though I took some time put a second coat of the black on, covered in regular house paint (I put deck liner on it, but it shows marks extremely well and I just wanted the texture) and put some finishing touches on it.

Went up on the 8th since it was supposed to be there, but FedEx was lying because of the weather. Got started on my door pods though. SMD Sunflash is awesome stuff to work with.. But then again I guess it helps to have some decent sunlight..

So until I go back up on the 15th this weekend that's it. But it will be making sweet sexy time bass again very soon!

HUGE thanks to my friends Matt and Tyler at Unlabeled Audio Designz for tons of help on this build, a ton of credit goes to those guys. (With special guest appearances from a few others)

Last edited by osage; 02-13-2014 at 08:39 PM. Reason: space was reserved
Old 02-13-2014, 09:08 PM
Ω rise is way too high..

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3784
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

is your Knu frontstage 16g the twisted stuff as well?

.... so far

Old 02-13-2014, 09:22 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1933

Damn all that happened bad luck..what are the specs of your box?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:13 AM
CACO Supporter

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2949
Feedback Score: 61 reviews

Man you've had some ups and downs. Very nice choices of equipment. Tuned in to see this finished.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:23 AM
CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss132
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I am happy to be a part of this build, Its been a good few months coming and this thing is going to be straight nasty, I got my 3000.1 back from joey and his CT 2500.1 is sitting at my place now, We will be continuing his build this weekend, most likely will be completely playing! for a few other videos of the truck you can goto my youtube channel. Unlabeled Audio Designz - YouTube
Old 02-14-2014, 03:43 PM
Dem Low Lows

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn it up View Post
Damn all that happened bad luck..what are the specs of your box?
Can't remember exact specs, but it's built to recommended spec's and tuned somewhere between 31-34hz. (we were so tried, just kinda went with it)
The box was designed by Ground Pounder Customs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassikInstincts View Post
is your Knu frontstage 16g the twisted stuff as well?
Yeah, it's all Knu Karma. Awesome stuff, I really like it. Only regret is that I couldn't get 12ga like I wanted because they were sold out because of finals.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:50 PM
Brand New Members

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

nice build! looking to go roughly the same way, would like to have seen some vids of it pounding
Old 04-18-2014, 03:34 PM
Dem Low Lows

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss45

We finished the install and got it playing again. But blew the sub, again.. So the sub has been off at Sundown for over a month now (hmm?)
I bought a few sheets of Birch, a new smaller box is going to be built as we think the box was over sized. However, there's the possibility of me switching to a Nightshade V3 18 as well.
I'll try to get some stuff up tonight of the 2nd attempt.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:48 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2090
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by osage View Post
We finished the install and got it playing again. But blew the sub, again.. So the sub has been off at Sundown for over a month now (hmm?)
I bought a few sheets of Birch, a new smaller box is going to be built as we think the box was over sized. However, there's the possibility of me switching to a Nightshade V3 18 as well.
I'll try to get some stuff up tonight of the 2nd attempt.
Which ever sub you run with, when it arrives. Sprinkle a bit of holy water, or it's equivalent on it. Enough is enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement