Build log:Round 2-Super Slow Motion - Car Audio Classifieds!
Car Audio Classifieds!  

Go Back   Car Audio Classifieds! > Car Audio Help & Discussion > Build Logs

Build Logs Post details, pictures and get feedback of your installation, from beginning to end.

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2014, 12:16 AM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1070
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Default Build log:Round 2-Super Slow Motion

So, Finally getting around to starting the new build. Last build I did a thread for was about 10 subs, half a dozen amps, and a almost a year ago. Finally settled on a reliable car and got some of the gear rounded up. Since everyone here just want's pics. I'll keep it short and simple, feel free to chime in with suggestions or ideas!

Equipment list-As of right now:

Headunit: Clarion CZ702

Sub-Single 15" Sundown ZV.4 15 dual 1 ohm

Sub amp- Hifonics Brutus BRZ2100.1

Front stage amp-TBD

Front stage drivers-TBD

Electrical support-Superstart Platinum Group 78 (55ah), Superstart Heavy Duty Group 24 (79ah) maybe a second if it's needed. 140 amp stock alt.

Wiring-random mix, mostly 1/0 welding cable, some name brand stuff I had left over. Probably SHCA 12ga for the mids and highs and sub wiring. Knu Somethingorother RCA's

The car:

The Sub:

The Amp:

The rear batt:

The Wire(s):

Last edited by jheist1991; 04-05-2014 at 12:18 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2014, 07:28 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1070

Small update, still fighting with getting headunit wiring figured out a month later. It's taking forever since I have very limited time to work on it on my days off, and the prior shop that installed the previous unit mangled up the wiring to the point of no return. Pretty sure I'm going to end up just running all new wiring for the headunit and calling it good instead of fighting to fix what they did to it.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:47 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1882
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Good idea. Seems like a solid trunk build btw. Would recommend another battery for mids and highs. But good start bud, liking where this is heading.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:51 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1070

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbass View Post
Good idea. Seems like a solid trunk build btw. Would recommend another battery for mids and highs. But good start bud, liking where this is heading.
Thanks! I'll probably end up grabbing another batt or two, same group 24 size. Had to point out to the boss that the one I have now didn't come with the standard marine post's like it shows in every picture we have of them at work, but instead a single sae post with a hole drilled through it. wtf

Eventually, after I get some bills in line and save a few bucks up, the plan is to add a second zv.4 15 and second brutus 2100, and strap the pair @ 1 ohm. Thank god for big trunks
Old 04-30-2014, 07:53 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1882

Ikr? Caddies have some massive trunk space. Just remember, trunk rattling isnt a sport.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:56 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1070

Quote:
Ikr? Caddies have some massive trunk space. Just remember, trunk rattling isnt a sport.
Haha definitely. I'm honestly just waiting for the stupid electric pull down that closes it all the way to break as soon as I bump the first time. I love how big the trunk is, and hate how they designed it. Behind the rear seats(which don't fold down), is a giant goddamn plastic box thing that houses a fuse box, factory amp, and a few other things. So there went my dreams of a semi-easy IB install down the road.

I'm going to have to deaden the bejeesus out of this thing though, even with just the cd player I'm noticing some super annoying resonances throughout the car on the midbass notes
Old 04-30-2014, 08:03 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1882

Meh it comes and goes. I'm in a jeep cherokee. Pretty limited on acoustically balancing a square, at least to my tastes. And rattles? what're those?

You could always relocate some of those fuses and such. I'm sure factory amp will go as soon as you start the build anyway. Besides, who drops a backseat when walling off a trunk anyway? Those guys gotta go.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:09 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1070

Quote:
Meh it comes and goes. I'm in a jeep cherokee. Pretty limited on acoustically balancing a square, at least to my tastes. And rattles? what're those?

You could always relocate some of those fuses and such. I'm sure factory amp will go as soon as you start the build anyway. Besides, who drops a backseat when walling off a trunk anyway? Those guys gotta go.
Yea, it's definitely a project I want to get over with. I can pretty easily relocate the fuse box, and the factory amp will get pulled and tossed in my pile of other amps I'll never use/fix/getaroundtoselling. I'm thinking it would be easier to tackle all of that before I work on the sub install since I can comfortably lay in the trunk to work on it (I'm 6'3" and 300+lbs). I just don't want to not do it and have it rattle like a mother****** later and have to take everything back out to do it. I've got a few tricks I want to try out on this install as well, so it's gonna be a learning process. Trying to find a good way to make a cut in the rear deck that doesn't affect anything and helps allow sound into the cabin. Or I may just ditch the rear fill all together and use the factory 6x9 holes.

Or I'll leave it sit for a while and work on my brothers truck, since the stock 1989 factory stereo and speakers aren't quite cutting it anymore. Dual Build log?
Old 04-30-2014, 08:15 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1882

Hmm. If you have no life, that'd be a good idea. BUT. Your title alone says super slowmo, so eh. It's whatever tickles your pickle broski.

At any rate, I've personally learned in my last few runs redoing the same stuff is take your time and plan accordingly. It'd be much better to do some shuffling and repositioning now compared to wondering why everything turned out like crap, pulling out, and doing it again. 3 times again too.

I'd offer suggestion on the rear deck, but I've never had one to deal with. So, my opinion is seal the crap out it. I'm sure plenty of sound is going to go straight through the back seats, especially if you decide on a sub forward position. I don't think I'd do sub up, seems like a bad idea on the rattle situation. /shrug what do I know? my trunk is my cabin.

Btw, for sure go ahead and remove the electrical trunk hatch. You know as well as I do it's gonna melt, break, or in general just cause issues. Might be worth looking into.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:24 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1070

Definitely going to look into ditching the electrical trunk latch. Thankfully I work at an O'reilly Autoparts and my boss and a couple co workers are very talented mechanics/gearheads, so they may have a good solution to that one.

My personal builds are always super slow at first, the initial wiring and everything always seems to take me forever, plus rounding up money to buy deadener, speakers, amps and everything never seems to go as fast as I want it to. Oh well, all good things in time.

Haven't decided on a sub/port orientation yet, but I'm leaning toward sub forward, port to the drivers side. I've got an enclosure built for the sub already so that helps as well.

Thankfully if I work on my bro's truck, it'll be a lot faster since he's not nearly as picky as I am, and just needs replacement speakers put it(for now). I'll talk him into a decent headunit and amping them down the road. Now I just have to find some decent 4x6's for him, since he refuses for some reason to just convert them to 4" round speakers
Advertisement