get loud for cheap / 1990 burb ghetto blaster - Car Audio Classifieds!
Car Audio Classifieds!  

Go Back   Car Audio Classifieds! > Car Audio Help & Discussion > Build Logs

Build Logs Post details, pictures and get feedback of your installation, from beginning to end.

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2014, 06:49 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1411
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Default get loud for cheap / 1990 burb ghetto blaster

hello all, im brian scarbs ( same on fb ) and ive been wanting to do a "big" system viechle since i was 13 but somehow never got to it in the past 20 years - altho i did have a 84 corvette that was a beast, and i should of taken that further but i was scared -
so
i picked up this clean enough 1990 suburban for pretty cheap.

picked up 4 si ht d2 brand new in the box from 2000lade for a good price

picked up a ddm2a for a great price
got 3 100ah agm batterys for a mildly ok price ( could of done better o well )

ebay - royal exelence 1/0 25ft red/25ft black = 110$
got a couple 4 chans for cheap ( old school rf punch 200a4 and 400a4 )

had 2 pairs of dual illuminate 6.5 4ways co ax so i glassed them in the doors - ill make another post showing them getting glassed - what a pain in the a

had 2 pairs of pearless 6.5 ( 4 ohm version from way back at parts express )
and had the crossovers and tweeters leftover from infinity refrence 5.25

magicly a buddy of mine gave me a pair of peavey 12" black widow electric guitar speakers -

so i took out the center consol and fabbed those in that spot.

so i have 12 speakers up front - and nothing in my rear doors yet. not shure if i feel like putting something back there or not.
im not happy with my crossover - and the tunng options on my old rf amps are terrible. so once i decide to be a big boy and get some good processing going on im shure i can supply my front stage with more power - and maby better amps for mid/highs

i did not plan on getting a singer 320 hair pin from the start. i was just going to get whatever was cheap... but i had voltage issues and got scared and decided to drop hammer on the best alt i could get to do parking lot demos with = engine idle the hair pin wins hands down - its a no brainer... i mean who wants to sit with their foot on the gas at 1800 rpm to make power to demo a songs full leingth in a random parking lot or car show.....

had a pair of re sx 18 d2 in the spare room. ( one was in my old 84 vette ) one ive had for like 7 years the other was new in the box.

- so i decided to fab up seperate boxes for them - built exactly the same but diddnt want the used sub to get push pull from the new stiff sub. figured id give them 7.25 net at 33hz tuning. maby my box calculator sucks cause from 40 up this thing slams good enough to rattle out your fillings and tickle your nose hairs something feirce.... but the lows they leave alot to be desired..... the cones move and air comes out the port - and the roof shakes and the sides flex but its just not loud.... so im super disapointed in that.

Last edited by brian84corvette; 05-26-2014 at 07:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2014, 06:55 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss565
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Love me some squarebody chevys, that thing looks like its in really good shape.
The Following User Says Thank You to BassJunkie For This Useful Post:
brian84corvette (05-26-2014)
Old 05-26-2014, 07:02 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1411

fabricating door pods. what a pain. i mean if you have hours and days of your life to dedicate to this - then by all means go for it.
i had a few failed attempts at this at first - mainly figuring out where what would go and to not stick too far out from the door.

stock = no factory speakers at all - window motors are totaly in the way to cut in the door for mounting = all external

the way my seats mount on the floor there is a large raised up section of the floor that interfered with the way the fleece stretched over the wood pannel so i had to glass it wet real quick mounted on the door - and shut the door with plastic so the wet fiberglass fleece could take the shape it needed with the door shut. total pain in the arse but they came out good
sanded one
then sanded it more , and started doing some bondo and more sanding.
sanding .... yeah i got tired of it and said f it for now. ill finish the cosmetics later lol right side door is half done - left door is still raw glass

Last edited by brian84corvette; 05-26-2014 at 07:39 PM.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:12 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1411

the front center box holding 4 pearless 6.5 mids - box is built pair left and right - and ported. might fill with pollyfill but it already sounds good as is.
fiberglassed to the floor to take floor hump shape. came out good. sounds good. not verry pretty with its squared edeges but ... this aint about pretty its about being loud with hardly any $ spent using spare whatever i have around....

when i was designing this i wanted to keep the ash tray functional - so i had to stay low profile - and also i thought i was keeping the center consol box there at the time...
maby down the road ill re design the front area a bit but for now i wraped it in some strange blue fabric that my work donated ( lol ) that sort of matches my interior good enough for now

Old 05-26-2014, 07:20 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1699
Feedback Score: 68 reviews

I'm really liking this build

2015 MECA STREET 5 WORLD CHAMP
The Following User Says Thank You to 72impala For This Useful Post:
brian84corvette (05-26-2014)
Old 05-26-2014, 07:23 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1411

so my job - i set up events and remove them when finished. we rent / are friends with another shop - i told the owner of my plans for the burb and he donated a pair of his older peavey black widow 12" electric guitar speakers.
free mids
sweet
exept the dust caps were hammered.

the recone shop there / seperate buisness same building - donated me a pair of slightly larger normal style dust caps. cut off the old ones - glued on the new ones = fantastic

pulled the center consol box out - and fabricated this janky looking thing to hold left and right firing 12s came out looking awfull.
sounded ok - filled with pollyfill - sounded fantastic. running the pair together for 4 ohms load ( mono ) bridged on 2ch of my 400a4 so im only giving them about 100w ish each

yeah so that sounded pretty good like this believe it or not. but dang its ugly as all get out. something had to be done about it.

ended up doing recess mount on the 12s and cut the front of the box off and mounted up a 1/4 slice of some 12" sono tube i had laying around.
looks much better - and recess mount the 12s = more room to not scuff by the seats or the people sitting in them.

it was absolute hell re working this box. might of just been easier to start over completely - to do flush mount i had to make mounting rings for the 12s and then cut those in half to get them inside the box to mount. yeah it was silly. dont even get me started on how much saw dust i was wearing after using my circular saw as a router to notch out the front for the 12" quarter round sono tube piece lol

only pic i have right now
Old 05-26-2014, 07:33 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1411

so im still in the testing phase. ive literly thrown all this together using an hour or 2 here and there working crazy hours at my job and having a wife and kid

my amps are just sitting under my back seat. wiring is not run under the carpets yet ( exept for my 1/0 power and negative wires )
had a saz1500 on for a minute

ran out of red 1/0 royal exelence wire and had to use some copper
3 batterys mounted directly behind the rear seats.

this pic is pretty crappy sorry - under hood wiring

still stuck with stock alternator for now. singer hairpin is being built for me and should be here within 14 days i hope ... im so exited for it to get here im about to pee my pants

o i found this pic of me sanding the door pannel. i was so frustrated i screwd it down to the table and got a belt sander going on it. sanding fiberglass is awfull

heres some shots of my subs / sub box

yes wires are totaly coming out the ports. yes there are wire nuts conecting them. yes this is only temporary.

someone stole my lows tho with this setup. 40hz and up is loud and furious below 40 is not ok and needs to be beefed up somehow. the truck rattles / shakes / flexes but the boxes seem pretty solid. maby i need to deadn my roof and crap.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:36 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1411

im a hoarder. anything i buy i keep. its all just been in the garage or here or there. i decided to gather it all up and figure out what i can use on this build.
this is my spare "toy" room

sadly most of the amps suck and i have 8s that ill probably never use lol

i still have a pair of new selenium 8w4p that i need to figure out where to put them on the loud burb for cheap as heck.

maby the rear doors want some selenium 8w4p in them

well thats it for now. im playing 12 speakers up front for my mids n highs setup its pretty ok - and will be better once i get a processor that can handle what all i got going on up there. im also suffering from low imput rca voltage - and my crossover i have now is pretty crappy ( cadence qxr7 old school )
2 18s in this burb is not enough. luckly i have 4 wating to go in. in what tho ?? another window line box ?
probably not.
can i fit a fourth order back there and still keep my rear seats avalable ? probably not
so what should i do ? how about a ported wall ? , .... yeah ! lets build a ported wall and try and take away from a buch of the cabbin air space and do a super good job on the trim pannels and seal off the sides and roof realley good to efectively remove about 1/3 of the cabbin air space and add 2 more 18" cones to the mix.... maby that should get us louder and give us the lows back.
sweet idea
now i need design of ported wall to play good with my rear seats still in place. id not want the 2 upper cones to play in to free air cabbin space to have the 2 lower subs fire driectly at the back side of the rear seats... that would probably be not as ideal as a good design for my cabbin ....
time to hit the sketch pad for some thoughts and ideas to wall this thing eficently

Last edited by brian84corvette; 05-26-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:45 PM
No idea what I'm doing

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1307
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Looking nice so far. Are the subs sitting above the port opening inside the box? Just figuring from your pics that you might be better off putting the subs at the other end as far from the port as possible.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:57 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1411

i might of failed at designing the box - here is a link to my post about this box design
18" re sx box = check my math ?

pretty much built exactly to the spec of the drawing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement