93 volvo 940 turbo - Car Audio Classifieds!
Car Audio Classifieds!  

Go Back   Car Audio Classifieds! > Car Audio Help & Discussion > Build Logs

Build Logs Post details, pictures and get feedback of your installation, from beginning to end.

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2014, 09:21 PM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss61
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Default 93 volvo 940 turbo

This will be my second stereo install ever.

I bought this 1993 volvo 940 turbo to replace my offroad wagon i had been working on for the last few years. Got tired of it and just wanted something new. It had a sundown E12 in a prefab on a dsc1500 at 2 ohms. Powerbass components front and rear on an mbquart OA600.4.

So far i have bought a bunch of stuff but nothing is installed except the head unit.

Started off with a pioneer DEHX7600HD

I wanted to get as much bass as possible in the smallest package so i figured id give two sundown sa8 v2s a shot. Bought some used.

Started to look for an enclosure and quickly realized not much was available that would maintain decent trunk space while maximizing the subwoofers potential to crank out bass. Obviously i needed something custom and i live in an apartment and i priced out the tools and quickly realized that even if i bought everything to build one myself i would still need experience and lots of educating to design the enclosure correctly. So i contacted cherryman Cherryman Custom built sub boxes Jackson TN. he proposed a really cool idea and said we could make it fit right where i wanted it too. Im in love with the enclosure design and i cant wait to hear it. This should be showing up next week some time.

I hit up knukonceptz for some wires on the cheap. I like their stuff and i think for the money you cant really go wrong. I placed another order with them for battery terminals some screw terminals and some 0 to 4 gauge reducers to fit the amp. So the picture is just some of what i bought.

Ended up buying a DSC1500 which i am having problems with so im trying to sell that at a very low price and i bought a DSC2000 which will be here tomorrow.

Last edited by VolvoWagon; 10-30-2014 at 09:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2014, 09:32 PM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss61

MB Quart DSC2000 gets here tomorrow.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:19 PM
TEAM 6HZ UNDER

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2020
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Nice volvo. Back in the good ol' days when their shiz was still rear wheel drive. I had a volvo myself and even though it wasn't the fastest car I've owned its still my favorite for some reason.

Like the box too. Should be a great sounding system all together and look really good while doing it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
We all on here were newbs at one point in our life thats what alot of ppl seem to forget its about the love of bass at the end of the day

Old 10-30-2014, 10:24 PM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss61

Yea this is rear wheel drive. I dont like fwd. These are the other two volvos i had before this one.

This one was gutted out and made over 300whp. I built everything to make it fast.

This one had a sundown e12 with some power bass components it was for offroad/camping full rally coilovers that i built.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:35 PM
TEAM 6HZ UNDER

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2020

Nice. I like the big snail! Hairdryers are the best.

I had the S80 AWD 2.5T. I had a full turbo back exhaust, intake, and a tune. Should have been in the 260 hp/310 tq range but it had problems holding boost after 5k due to pushing the stock TDo4 14T too far at 16 psi. I was literally days away from ordering a TD04 K24 and the ipd intercooler but my oil pickup tube got clogged and trashed my camshaft and scored the cylinders up nice and good. It was a real letdown for sure.

But I am glad to see other volvo enthusiasts on here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
We all on here were newbs at one point in our life thats what alot of ppl seem to forget its about the love of bass at the end of the day
Old 10-30-2014, 11:28 PM
"Man of Action"

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss67

I loved those old Volvo sport wagons, they were the tits! The new red one looks awesome already though. And I'm dig'n the build thus far, especially that box! Very cool design... I've never seen one built that way. I have to ask you though, what's the deal with the MB-Quart amps? Like, why them? I don't think their name still carries the kind of weight it once did?
Old 11-01-2014, 05:10 PM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss61

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddylee View Post
I have to ask you though, what's the deal with the MB-Quart amps? Like, why them? I don't think their name still carries the kind of weight it once did?
Basically i havent been doing this for very long and when i searched for a budget amp that is of good quality and will do rated power cleanly i was told the older MB Quart discus line would do that. Audiosavings has refurbished 2000w discus amps with a 1 year warranty for $180. I dont think i can do any better for the money. I think they are a solid amplifier.

Speaking of which i got it screwed down to the box and all the wiring settled on. I still need to secure the box down some how as of right now it wants to vibrate out of its little cave and fall down into the back of the trunk. So ill have to fab some supports up to keep it where i want it.

Old 11-01-2014, 05:42 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss744
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

nice lookin box man....any plans on getting it finished?

Life's short, Play loud================================================== ==
Old 11-01-2014, 08:32 PM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss61

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbdblue View Post
nice lookin box man....any plans on getting it finished?
I don't mind it raw but I'll be looking into alternatives. Truck bed liner comes to mind.

So today was really the first time I have really beat on them somewhere I won't get the cops called on me. I'm super impressed with what these 8s can do. But I'm not super impressed for 2000wrms. I'll have to put a multimeter on them and see what they are getting. My pioneer deck is said to feed a clean 4v line level out until volume 60 out of 62. Speakers are just running off the headunit which is cea certified 22wrms. Volume 45-48 is pretty freaking loud playing some 80-200-1000hz test tones seems like it's clipping the door speakers by 48-50. So I set the gain at about 3.8v or 50% much over that and these subs move so much I'm afraid something's going to give.

The box volume is a little on the large side at .78 cubes per driver. I'm just wondering if there is a way to set my gain to get the max out of these subs at around volume 45 without overpowering and bottoming them out or something. They currently don't get hot or smell at all.

Also I have some pretty nasty voltage drop at anything over volume 40 . I think a HO alternator is probably the way to go.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:44 PM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss61

Built some brackets.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement