The EP - Car Audio Classifieds!
Car Audio Classifieds!  

Go Back   Car Audio Classifieds! > Car Audio Help & Discussion > Build Logs

Build Logs Post details, pictures and get feedback of your installation, from beginning to end.

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2015, 07:51 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1882
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Default The EP

So to start this off, I'm on a bit of a lack of pictures but if I don't do it now I won't. More to come tomorrow.

Reserved so I don't have a ton of stuff out of place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2015, 08:05 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1882

Some of these pictures are cell pics, so bear with me.

This is where I am at as of now. I built a test box for this alphasonik 15". Been reconed, and still working on the t/s for them. So for the mean time I just slapped a generic 4 cubes @ 34 hz together. 2 (4) inch aero ports. Sub up, port firing driver side. I only have about $40 in this box, as my buddy hooked me up with a deal and "accidently rang up the wrong sheet". 1/2" birch. and some PL 3x. That I have learned.. WEAR GLOVES. My hands will be stained for 3 weeks at this rate.

That's the motor,.. she's a little beefy.
Picked up a router, so glad I did. Life has been made much easier thanks to this thing. Also shout out to Odin for steering me in the right direction of using DIABLO bits. I would have been in for a world of headaches if that hadn't of happened. First time using it, and she dropped right in.

Got about 1 1/2" between the brace and the pole vent, so hopefully we will be ok. I don't think it's going to hurt the sub as I'm pretty sure this box is going to blow itself apart anyway. I will be building a better one in the next few weeks. Just slapped this one together to see what's up.
I also have a 4 channel coming soon, Soundstream TA4.720. I have 2 sets of Soundstream SPL 55 [minty from '99!] so I figured I could use them. I have 2 mounted in my stock pods and then i got to thinking... leftover wood, spare speakers.

Kind of spurr of the moment. Off with the door cubby, held it up for an eye-measure, and ta-dah. Not too shabby.

I also have the box finished. ish. Kinda decided to take left over cuts and randomly double up on it, it is only 1/2" wood. Also, if anyone is going to rig their doors like mine. I strongly suggest using 1/4" or 1/8". I'm surprised mine worked out as they did, it was a tight squeeze keeping the skin from bulging. Also contemplating removing my stock grills and putting the soundstream grills on them. I didn't realize how much sound my stock ones were blocking.

Got a lot more pics and other odds and ends coming tomorrow. Need to get a family photo going.

Last edited by southernbass; 02-12-2015 at 06:49 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to southernbass For This Useful Post:
OdinsHammer (02-13-2015)
Old 02-12-2015, 12:50 AM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1882

So heres what is in it.
also, for those who aren't familiar. Ia is worth every penny. I'm too chicken to take the cover off, but I did spot some massive transformers and caps. Maybe it's because this is my first big boy amp but damn these are huge. These caps are at least 1". Maybe 1 1/2"[URL=http://s1346.photobucket.com/user/StephenBamburg/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150211_124134_zps8cc3b2ba.jpeg.html][/URL
Also pretty effecient. Wired to 1 ohm and haven't seen below 13v at idle on a full sine wave. Not bad. I charge at ~13.8 fwiw.

More pics coming tomorrow. You guys are gonna laugh at how I have things set up but I slapped it in with what I had around the house. As least I used rubber bushings and spacers. Amp barely vibrates.

I plan to build a rack of some sort soon.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:55 AM
Hurtin' Feelins' errrday

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12531
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Tuned in.

Those Alphasonik subs are beefy...or once was. Seen 1 or so in person loong ago. I think that's the heatsink for the sub?? On the bottom? They got overlooked I think it's because people stuck with mainstream brands instead.
Wolfram amps 3000.1, 125.4 coming soon
2 Sundown Audio X 15's Tuned @ 30Hz.
Interstate battery/Royal Excelene/KnuKoncepts Kolossus wiring
Old 02-12-2015, 01:15 AM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1882

Eh I've never really looked into them until now. Apparently this a 900 series (mayhem). They're a bit flashy for my tastes honestly reminds me of audiobahn.

But it was a present that I'm very grateful for. So might as well put it to use. Gotta be conservative on the knob though. Don't think this guy will run full tilt for long. Maybe once I get my better box built which might be happening tomorrow.

Need to finish running my wire for the 4 channel as I'm still running deck power. Surprisingly keeps up with the bass decent enough to hear it, just not as clear as I'd like.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:46 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1882

So the box isn't happening for the time being. I did however manage to get the soundstream hooked up today. The front stage keeps up with the bass quite well now. Only a few songs that don't, and those are the more mids-intensive dubstep songs I have.

Sorry I'm at a lack of pictures, it hasn't been very nice around here and I really don't want to pop the trunk hatch with ANY kind of moisture going on. Soon as the weather clears up, I'll have a few more pics in the first post.

On to the bright side, this thing is rude to be a single 15. It's done both of my past 18" subs to shame [HDC3 and the SA-x]. It moves a lot more air then either of them did either. I'm sealed [except for about 2" on my passenger side] and still feeling a good breeze. I don't believe my bass perception is off just because of the "not having bass for a while" thing either, as my vision is blurring at full tilt. I've had some skews here and there on my past builds, but nothing like this. At times it's hard to read my radio. As far as driving, I'm fine. But focusing on a road sign to read it is very difficult to see clearly.

On another note, being back to a "traditional" woofer has made me miss my X-18. I hear it hitting, and I hear distortion. Instantly think I'm clipping, check my knob and everything is good [and the knob is EXTREMELY accurate.] Just gotta get used to having a normal sub again.

I'm actually really surprised with this thing. It plays extremely flat from ~32-60. I have my filter on the deck tuned to 63hz @ 18DB slope, so anything after that drops. SSF is set at 30-ish. It'll play to 70 with no problem, but I don't feel it's very safe in that region, especially considering I'm probably over powering this thing.

I've been keeping an ear on it as I tune and test all the tracks I'm familiar with. I occasionally hear a bit of buzzing on certain tones, but there are a multitude of things that could be causing it. I'm presuming that my box is leaky. I know it's huffing a small amount of air out the back where I just drilled holes to run the speaker wire. I also used closet flanges to mount my PVC to, and didn't bother flaring the inside of them. So port chuffing is very possible at this point as well. I also have a ton of junk in the car right now from where I have just slapped everything together in the past week or so, and that could be causing some buzzing and rattles I would think.

I've checked the dust cap after every session I have of pounding on it for about ~3 minutes wide open, and to also check that the suspension isn't giving and that the coil isn't loosening. It's warm, but no where near hot. My X-18 got way hotter way faster, and stayed smelly. So I feel comfortable, for now. I had no idea what to expect out of this sub, so I'm being cautious but giving it hell at the same time.

Hoping to get my other box built soon, except I'll be using a single 6" aero instead of (2) 4". So we will see how it goes.

Last edited by southernbass; 02-13-2015 at 06:17 PM.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:22 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1784
Feedback Score: 22 reviews

Tuned in ....
Old 02-13-2015, 06:28 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1882

I should be able to get something to show tomorrow. Taking my girl out for lunch since I'll be at work tomorrow night. Hoping I can get a little more done.

Also had a major doh moment. Didn't realize I was firing a port almost directly at my amp fan. That's probably whats buzzing at me. I will take a video full tilt for the thread and then I'm building my other box before I go too hard again.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:51 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1882

So. The sub blew, on low volume.

I'm still keeping it, as I plan to recone it down the line. It was a gift and I will treat it well.

And, bass has been put on pause. My girl wrecked the Jeep's rearend into an embankment. Thank god it was dirt. Needless to say, my trunk hatch is broken beyond repair. It split the fiberglass, and I can actually put my hand in the driver side of it.

Needless to say, I pulled my audio gear out of the trunk until I can get it replaced. Luckily her dad works at a salvage yard.. So we will see how it goes.

Last edited by southernbass; 02-25-2015 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:20 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1882

Welp. Been a crazy year. Finishing off strong and will be documenting a build log.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement