New wall build - 4th/6th with (4)15"s - Car Audio Classifieds!
Car Audio Classifieds!  

Go Back   Car Audio Classifieds! > Car Audio Help & Discussion > Build Logs

Build Logs Post details, pictures and get feedback of your installation, from beginning to end.

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2015, 08:22 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4405
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Default New wall build - 4th/6th with (4)15"s

Picked up a killer deal on some Stereo Integrity HT15s a few months ago during one of the Sundown yard sales, so it's new build log time!

Ripped out the old shell so I could make it bigger and stronger. I only left the bottom mounting board because it's attached through the vehicle with a few bolts and there's no reason to re-do that part, just gonna build on top of it.

Base is going down. I'm going to squeeze every cubic inch out of this I can.

Had to make a few trips to the dump first to clear out old projects. I think I had a good 1-2" of sawdust on my front porch too, lol.

New underhood distribution center. The Neon regulates voltage via the ECU from the factory, which barely ever gives me 14+v unless it's freezing outside. I upgraded the stock alt to a Bosch 170A unit and used a transpo adjustable external regulator to fix that. (Note that the white ground wire coming from the grounding block is fixed now so it's not just barely held in).

I'm also completely sealing the roof. The sunroof was beyond useless and leaked water like crazy. The first step was to cut some sheet aluminum to size.

Getting the top and sides together. The entire enclosure will be double baffled at minimum. I used a combination of ply and MDF so you might see some different materials on some of the pieces.

Getting the roof up was a huge PITA. I used all kinds of braces and a jack to hold portions of it in place while I PL'ed and screwed it into place.

Taking the roof allllll the way to the windshield. There's a thick brace PL'ed to the roof that runs down the length of the enclosure from front to back and sprayfoam was used to fill every nook and cranny inbetween the roof metal and enclosure top.

Using various fiberglass products to fill the roof top step so the roof is smooth. I'm trying to avoid pulling a Pioneer~Saturn and dumping 5 gallons of bondo on top.

More pieces being added to the shell

Here's another look at the left part of the above picture where the wall edge meets the b-pillar. Every. Square. Inch.

Glassing the seams. I got a 150yd roll of 3" wide cloth on ebay for $15. Score! Each seam piece was measured, precut, and labeled so I knew where they went before I glassed them in.

Starting to get baffle placement worked out. I'm going to try both a 4th and a series 6th to see what I like better. More to come of this including frequency response measurements and subjective impressions.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2015, 08:39 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4405

I'm also re-doing the trunk. Going in are:

(2) AAP platinum AGM batteries - the biggest one's they have. Each one is ~100AH

(2) PPI BK520.4 amps. One will be bridged to the 10" midbass in the kicks, the other will run in 4-channel mode for the mids and tweets on the dash.

(1) Helix DSP. EQ, TA, Xovers, etc..

(2) Dragon Sound DSA-3500s strapped at 1ohm nominal. I've heard good things and I'm cheap.

(1) Spare tire. I drive 45 miles through the country to go to work, so this is a must-have.

Using threaded rod to stack the PPI's. There's not a ton of space with the back of the enclosure sticking into the trunk.

DSAs are mounted back-to-back and mounted against the rear of the trunk wall with more threaded rod. I'm going to add a couple fans to help with cooling. Here I'm working on wiring; I made a numbered diagram to help me remember how each length of wire goes in.

I'm also wiring in buttons to pop the hood and trunk. Here was my first attempt at adding an electric door lock solenoid to the manual hood release (I want to leave some way to manually open the hood if I need to). The solenoid is seriously underpowered though so it didn't work. Oh well - I had the solenoid laying around from an old install from years ago.

More to come later this week....
Old 05-16-2015, 09:33 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss822
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

nice work so far.
levi iii
2 12's dds tridents
4 cf 8's & vifas xt25's

Old 05-17-2015, 01:28 AM
CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss403
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Are those h8-agm. Pics to fuzzy to tell clearly.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:03 AM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4405

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacran View Post
nice work so far.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMechanic308 View Post
Are those h8-agm. Pics to fuzzy to tell clearly.
They are. I have no idea how they're going to do, but I got a killer deal earlier this year when they had a $25 rebate plus AAPs $50 off coupon. I ended up paying about $120 each for them.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:05 AM
mega fatty

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss6008
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

On the hood pop for my trunk it was in a stupid spot so I used a little cable and put a pulley sorta thing so I could mount the actuator easily
It worked great and I could have mounted it in a location so I could manually pull the cable
Build looks sweet so far
Old 05-19-2015, 10:27 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4405

Baffles installed and bracing added underneath

Test fitting some pieces for the sides. The center section will have a removable baffle so it can operate sealed as a 4th or vented as a 6th. The rear chamber has 8 ft^3 when sealed up, which should give me and fb of ~40hz. Front chamber will be about 18 ft^3.

The goal for tomorrow is the get the rear chamber sealed up, clean up a little, and maaaaybe get things playing a bit. I'm going to try and get an impedance sweep to see what it looks like before moving on to the loading wall. I'm doing something very different with the loading wall so I've got to wait for some more materials to come in before I can start that.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:00 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss543
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

When trying the 6th order the 8cu might not be large enough to use as the low side. Personally a 6th works well as a 1to1 or have the high side a little on the small side. I'd recommend using the sealed chamber as the high side when you try it.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:16 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4405

Got the sealed side sealed and the HT15s installed. You can see the swap-able panel in the middle held down with bolts. I used hanger bolts with threaded studs into the square brace behind this area and 1/2" compressible gasket foam to form a seal.

Also got the wiring 90% done in the rear. I still need to run/route the RCAs from the Helix DSP and tidy up a bit. With the sub amps mounted vertically against the back of the trunk, it was a PITA to secure the wiring. It took me almost 2 hours just to screw down one remote wire because I only had enough access to turn the set screw a few degrees at a time. I also need to fab a hold-down for the spare against the back of the sub enclosure.

Once the subs were installed I performed an impedance sweep to see how the sealed section turned out. At 8 ft^3, BassBoxPro predicted a sealed resonance of 40.89hz exactly. I measured the actual sealed resonance at 40.6hz. That's extremely close!!

Don't mind the impedance numbers, they are not absolute. The subs are wired to 1ohm nominal. The jaggedness can be attributed to environmental noise and leaks in the enclosure. I checked for leaks by depressing the cone of one sub, and all three others rose accordingly and everything slowly settled into place when I let go. I do have a few leaks coming through the mounting screws that I will try to address later.

I need to charge up my Nexus7 and should have the subs playing tonight. Next step is the loading wall!
Old 05-30-2015, 08:26 AM
157.28db,41hz +Increasing

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4907
Feedback Score: 17 reviews

Any updates? looks good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

4 15s + Flat Wall + 10k = Loud

#60sHereIcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement