Ive been messing around with car audio off and on for about 18 years and Ive always wanted to do a big build with a bunch of subs. I finally got around to doing that project. I had an idea in my head and honestly didn't know if it would fit in my s10 but I ordered all the subs so that pretty much decided that. Of course I started the build in the hottest months of the year with no shop. The build started with 16 Sundown Ev3 15s and 2 Taramps HD15000's
Trying to get any shade I bought a tarp and went a little ghetto with it but it worked so that's all that matters.
Start of the shell, decided to use a kreg jig and build it inside the bed to get the most space as I could.
Roof and front face in
Wheel tubs boxed in
First baffle cut making sure I didn't mess anything up already
Both baffles cut for one side, moving along nicely
Checking to make sure I wouldn't have any surround rub issues. I loaded a sub into each hole and put 2 screws in to ensure each sub would be aligned once they were inverted.
Making sure they were going to fit, I was still unsure up until this point.
Other baffle cut and test fitting
Baffles mounted and bracing on the sealed side
Added a little round over
Got all the subs loaded and bracing in
A view through the back window
I dont have any pictures of how I sealed it off but it was just a piece of birch the shape of the back glass with a port that went into the box. Once I got it playing it sounded insane but didn't do very good numbers because it peaked so low. Best score was [email protected]
sealed on the dash. While that looked cool and did nice demos I wasn't very happy. At this point I decided to get something a little bigger so I could get the port opened up and also build a more appropriate box if I wanted to. I bought a 2000 Suburban and started getting it ready. The first thing I did was get the port opened up to the sealed section, went from 344 square inches of port to 835 square inches.
Time to come out
Box in and port opened up, had a few subs down at this point
Time to add some sound
Sealed up and bedlined
After this was my first show which was a huge disappointment, ended up blowing 5 subs. Apparently the E's don't like 1500 watts per sub lol. So it was time to pull them all and think about how I wanted to move forward. I had a lot of time and money in the box so I decided to stick with the plan and ordered 16 SA 15's
While waiting for the new subs to arrive I decided to build a proper amp rack instead of having the amps just screwed to the floor in the back.
First things first started with a battery box
Decided to duct the rear a/c into the amp rack to keep the amps cool
Forgot to take pictures along the line here but after a little bedliner
You can see the ducts here
New subs loaded
Next show went a little better, got loudest average of the day with a 155.93. They do a 15 second run in the floor, 30 second run on the windshield and a 45 second run at the headrest.
I still have work to do, my voltage is dropping to 10.8. I only have 4 g31's and 1 300a alt. Its burping a 158.6 in the floor now and I feel like when I get the voltage where it needs to be it should do a 160. I don't have any interior mods either so I think I will be able to get it pretty loud. The box isn't really ideal, sealed sides combined are 20 cubes and ported side is 31. Here is a shot of the truck and thanks for reading my post.