Car Audio Classifieds! banner

pics of piano finish on mdf

3K views 37 replies 21 participants last post by  lil_italy773 
#1 ·
I still have to sand and paint one more time but it looks better not in photo...you can see your reflection in it...

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow thats really really nice

#12 ·
I do body work, and im ppg certified and all that fun stuff, but thats for automotive, so how many stages did it take you to get it to look like that, and how did you prep it so the paint didnt bleed into the mdf??

#21 ·
Well I got a nice DA sander, and after each coat paint you sand it down with 800 grit?? And how are you spraying this, as far as fast light, fast heavy, slow light,slow heavy, and you plan on clear coating or not??

#24 ·
I would say fast heavy one pass then let it dry...
yes sand between coats 800 grit you will be amazed at how the edges of mdf will polish w/ 800 grit its really cool! I have some fi logos to put on it and then I will prob put a clear on top. I had the ice blue fi logos color matched at sherwin williams it is going to look bad ass when I'm done!!

#25 ·
Very Nice, im gunna try this on my 4 15 box and my single 12 box, I wish i could do my wall like this but that would be very hard, just a big mess in the car..lol You do very good work, I havent seen a box look that good for awhile now, carpet is so orginal and plain, this looks sweet!!

#30 ·
I had it in the car to test before I spent any time sanding...sounds perfect! 2 fi Q 10" running of a rd 1750.1 at .5 ohms. it is very comparable to my jl12w7

box is 2.75 ft^3 tuned to 32hz
built w/ bassbox 6 pro
Parts cut on cnc

I think that I could build this box again for 300 shipped...start to finish I don't have that much time in it but I kept getting interrupted.

Look for some custom speakers I am building for my home stereo system. I am designing/wiring the crossovers myself so it should be interesting. I should start shortly after the first of the year. going to be using some exotic veneer we have left over from a job and same black piano finish...

#32 ·
looks awsome, my box used to look close to that (not quite as perfect) but now the paint is chipping off in several spots and the top of the box is scratched to shit from sliding 2x4s accross it :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.