Big build in '10 Tundra TRD, 16 speakers, 2 18s... lot of work, plenty of pics! - Car Audio Classifieds!
Car Audio Classifieds!  

Go Back   Car Audio Classifieds! > Car Audio Help & Discussion > Build Logs

Build Logs Post details, pictures and get feedback of your installation, from beginning to end.

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2010, 09:24 PM
CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss156
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Default Big build in '10 Tundra TRD, 16 speakers, 2 18s... lot of work, plenty of pics!

Been a while since I posted any pogress of sorts anywhere, so here goes. Just picked up a brand new Toyota Tundra Rock Warrior (off-road edition, comes stock with 33" BFGs and Bilstein shocks) all black, no chrome bumpers or handles, or rear badging...

Added tint to the lower half of the tails, yellow over the fogs, 35% on front windows, and 15% over the stock tint in the rear and threw some 22" Ultra Magnus matte black wheels on some 305/45/22 Continentals

My stereo plans are:

stock radio
Audiocontrol Three.1
Audiocontrol Epic-160
(2 pairs) JL XR 6.5" components
(2) Kicker rmb8 subs (as midbass)
(2) Beyma cp12 (tweeters)
(4) Beyma 605nd 6.5 (midrange)
(1) Crossfire xp6004
(1) Crescendo 1004
(1) MA hk4000d
(2) RE XXX 18's -old-school flat motor- ported at 30-34hz, not sure yet

here's the start of my system, basically a cut-n-paste from the tundra forum i also post on! Thanks for looking! Any comments, questions are welcome!

RoE refs: flexxissues, loudaccent, jnralp00, pimpedout97x, headbussaboi, itssteve, duece212, pimpinjim, VIPER118, Cartunez
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2010, 09:25 PM
CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss156

Well, decided to change part of my original stereo idea and decided to keep the factory radio... satellite radio's got me hooked again and bluetooth is convenient, too. Plus, living in the city it's nice not having an obvious setup either (i'll leave that for the back seat area!).

But, picked up an Audiocontrol Three.1 at a local shop. For those who don't know what it is... it's basically a 3-band eq with a built-in Line-Out Converter and Line Driver. I also have an Audiocontrol Epic-160 going in (bass restoration processor along with decibel metere). For the front and rear doors I'll be using JL XR 6.5" components, I'll be purchasing the rest of the stuff for the rear shortly; but, here's my progress so far:

1. pulled out stock radio and tapped into the speaker outputs of the stock radio and power/acc/ground to get a signal to the Three.1

2. put the radio back in place, with the wires left hanging where my processors will go

3. here's the equipment (Audiocontrol Three.1 & Audiocontrol Epic-160)

4. where the equipment's going

5. going to town with the Dremel Multi (miracle tool... not a single scratch on the face of the bezel)

6. back-side view

7. after a little sanding fits like a glove

8. made some adaptors for 6.5's in the stock 6x9 locations (test fit)

9. trimmed around the bolt holes (thanks Dremel multi!)

10. after some 60-grit treatment using some old-fashioned elbow grease (next step is to paint them black)

RoE refs: flexxissues, loudaccent, jnralp00, pimpedout97x, headbussaboi, itssteve, duece212, pimpinjim, VIPER118, Cartunez
Old 06-09-2010, 09:26 PM
CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss156

Updates 6/2/10

started with some MDF, tape measure and a router

best tool in the world for hole cutting; the Jasper Jig. this is the smaller one, will perfectly cut holes upto 7 1/2". mounts to any standard router and runs about $40-50 at PartsExpress.com for the pair of 2 lexan jigs.

just drill a center hole, line up the peg in the jig and go to town!

test fit for the JL 6.5" in the adaptor with a 3/4" riser to bring the magnet away from the window (initially without the riser the magnet just barely touched glass, so I could've done a thinner ring, but the closer to the grille, the closer it is to me!)

test fit was great! pre-drilled and counter sunk screw holes in the riser and used wood glue to lock the riser in place. also pre-drilled holes for the speaker-mounting screws

ran speaker wire through grommet. being almost 90 degrees today, sweating while crouching to squeeze my fingers into grommet holes really sucked. luckily, I figured these out real quick and it took me about 5 minutes the driver side, and about 1 minute for the passenger! pop the grommet out of both the door and the fender hole in the car so it floats in between. squeeze it as tight as possible so when you route your wire it has less space to travel. it's a pain at first, but if you make a larger hole where stock wires come through the door grommet it's a lot easier to see and fish your wire!

crimped clips on the wire ends and simply clipped them onto the stock terminals on the speakers.

running wires for the tweeter spot was extremely easy. i literally fed wire down the hole until i saw it or felt it under the dash.

used the same clips for the tweeters and made sure to leave extra wire for very easy maintenance.

i had ideas for tweeter install, then remembered my secret weapon...

this is the view through the windshield at the stock tweeter location. i felt below where the stock speaker sat and realized it was just flat plastic so i dabbed some hot glue in there and had an easy solution! the passenger side had some grid in the plastic, but with hot glue it contours easily!

Tomorrow, I wire up the amp and processors and possibly install the rear speakers. We'll see!

Old 06-09-2010, 09:27 PM
CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss156

back to the shop today, got the components all hooked up and playing and it sounds great! can't wait to do my midbass under the seats to really bring it out, though. here are some pics:

first step was taking off the b pillars to gain access to the back door grommets. this meant first undoing the big seat belt bolt

then it was easy... just a bunch of plastic snaps

looked through the grommet from the b-pillar's side and happened to find this damn wiring harness... hmmm

didn't want to mess with fishing through that grommet, so I simplified things. cut back the electrical tape on the wires entering the grommet to realize the yellow/grey (driver's side) and red/white (passenger side) were twisted together and on the other side of the grommet, they both ended up being red/white so it made sense which wires to tap.

clipped the wires, and ran wires from my amp into them via crimp clips

on the other side just tapped into the wires near the harness and ran my own wire to the speaker

next step was tackling the stock rear speakers... surprisingly VERY easy task

stacked face-to-face with a JL XR 6.5" they were almost identical

went to town on the plastic basket of the stocks to make my own mounting brackets

then nice clean cut with a razor on the surround's edge

there you have it... custom mounting brackets

JL fits like a glove

pre-drilled some holes in the stock plastic for the speaker screws

screwed them in with 4 screws each

hooked them up with crimp clips

looks stock!

taped mock-up of the processor placement

modified the audiocontrol mounting bracket to accommodate both the Epic-160 and Three.1

wires I had hanging out hooked into the Three.1's power/speaker input harnesses

early/temporary view of the processors in place. only the Three.1 is hooked up right now, since I have no sub-stage yet. once that's in place I'll finish this piece by fiberglassing some smoother edges upto the processors.

Ladies MAN

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss5551
Feedback Score: 28 reviews

Niceee....where u putting the beymas and other stuff
CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss156

After installing my component speakers and processors (cough cough) I decided to start phase 2 by building 2 1/2" mdf enclosures for 2 8" Kicker rmb8 subs. I have the components running my 4 channel amp at 4 ohms, so I bridged the components to the front 2 channels so now they're at 2 ohms and am running the Kickers on channels 3 and 4 @ 4 ohms (so, they're seeing about 75 watts each).

To start, here's a pic of the subs. They're only 2 1/2" top to bottom, with a mounting depth of about 2 1/4". RMS is only 150watts (but, recommended power starts at about 45 watts, so my 75 is ok for now). I have them crossed over high pass of about 80-90hz, and low pass of 200hz and they sound great!

Measured under the seats and came up with 3 1/2" height under the passenger seat (due to a welded piece of metal with wiring harnesses attached to it) and about 4 1/2" under the driver seat. Width was 11", and a safe length to accommodate seat movement was 10". So, I had to settle with a 1/2" mdf box totalling 10"x11"x3 1/2". I even used a rabbet bit on my router to sink the sub into the mdf about 1/8" to allow some clearance for excursion.

Here's a view from the rear of the box where the wires come out. To fit the boxes I just slid the seat to it's farthest slid back position and fit the driver side speaker from the front and the passenger speaker from the back seat. I tucked the wires in the carpet split between the carpet and vent carpet piece.

Last, but not least, here's the side view. Just simple, clean, and black. Blends in with truck and adds a beautiful fill to the music. I can really hear parts of vocals components can capture (sub 200hz)... same goes for musical instruments. It really brings them to life. Quick, and easy add-on for a great overall system!

Old 06-09-2010, 09:33 PM
Super Moderators

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss9623
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

sexyyy truck and install is gnna be sick!
Old 06-09-2010, 11:35 PM
CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip01 View Post
Niceee....where u putting the beymas and other stuff
I plan on removing the big bench out of the 2 rear bench seats in the 60/40 and relocating the smaller seat to the center. My goal is to have 2 boxes; one on each side of the seat each about 6 cubes sub forward, port up. The boxes will have curved fronts and contour inwards towards the rear passenger incorporating armrests. The beyma tweeters and midranges will be glassed on top of the sub boxes which would all end up getting the same finish as the sub box, since it will look like it's part of it.

something along these lines... not sure of the final design 100% yet, but here's a rough google sketch-up drawing i did a while ago. obviously, these boxes are pre-wrapping/finishing, just an idea of how to attach speakers before forming a mold.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:45 PM
CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss271
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

qwow looks nice bro, ill be watching this thread Good luck!!
Old 06-11-2010, 03:34 AM
CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss156

Quote:
Originally Posted by milly View Post
qwow looks nice bro, ill be watching this thread Good luck!!
thanks alot, greatly appreciated! got a lot of work ahead, got my crescendo 4 chan in the mail the other day... now, just need my recones and my beyma 6.5's and i'm ready for action! in the mean time, got these crazy boxes to design/build

Sponsored Links
Advertisement