So I got my two subs in today. I was really hoping that these 800 rms, 3" coil subs would compete with the SKAR vvx 10's I currently have.
As I understand, some of the stock was B stock. So I wasn't expecting much from the cosmetics of the sub woofer. As expected, the baskets had some corrosion of the plating as shown from other reviews as well. However one of the subs rattled when I picked it up. As I rolled it around in my hand I found that there was some plastic piece stuck in the center of the motor. The vent on the bottom of the magnets are covered with a metal mesh glued to the magnet so I had to take a razor blade and open that vent up to pull the piece out. That was warning sign number one.
I got the subs wired in to the box no problem. I was running them on the MB Quart 2000.1 that I've been running the vvx 10's on. I figured that with rise I should be right about the rated wattage of the subs. After listening to these subs for a half hour of so I came to these conclusions:
- They don't like the lower frequencies as much as my vvx's.
- The spider and the surround aren't built for excursion. On songs with tight, punchy bass, they were maxing out on the throw.
- They had a pretty good tone in a frequency range close to 45 to 50 hz.
- They were responsive in quick bass kicks.
- May be overrated at 800w.
The one subwoofer that had the piece in the motor sounded like it was already bad. I don't have a DMM to test the coils, but from the get go it sounds like it was blown.
The other good speaker sounded pretty good other than it seemed to max out on the excursion.