tejcurrent quad alt brkt for the masses (99+ GM Fullsize) - Car Audio Classifieds!
Car Audio Classifieds!  

Go Back   Car Audio Classifieds! > Car Audio Help & Discussion > Car Audio Product Reviews

Car Audio Product Reviews Post detailed reviews of products you have personally used.

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 12:11 AM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1221
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Default tejcurrent quad alt brkt for the masses (99+ GM Fullsize)

These are my thoughts on my trials and tribulations installing the tejcurrent quad alt bracket.

My ride, a 2004 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4 with a 5.3l V8

This is what comes in the box.

The hardware is good quality stuff. The bracket is nicely finished. The instructions are of the standard

issue variety with some nice color pics. Lets get to the installation.

I read over the instructions a couple of times just to get familiar with the installation process. At the

same time I checked the hardware against the instructions to make sure I got everything needed. A packing

list would have been nice. There were a couple of typos. :P This one was a little concerning. The

instructions call out for 100mm bolts to mount the alternators, but 90mm bolts were included.

The 90mm bolts work, so no biggie, but still should be addressed by the manufacturer.

Right off the bat the bracket didn't fit. I removed only what the instructions indicated to remove,

and pre-assembled the bracket/alternator assembly as required. When it came to placing the assembly in

the vehicle, disaster. The vehicle ECU interfered with the lower alternator.

From here on out I was on my own. o_o Here's what I did, hope this helps you.

First I removed the fan shroud and the cooling fan. I took out the battery and battery tray. From there I

unmounted the vehicle ECU and temporarily located it to where the battery mounts. With the wiring pushed

back towards the firewall I tried once again to get the assembly in place. No dice, something wasn't

lining up.

I removed the power steering pulley. I unbolted the power steering pump from the factory alternator/power

steering bracket. Not to worry, the power steering pump is still held in place by a steel bracket on the

backside attaching it to the engine block. I proceeded to remove the factory alternator/power steering

pump bracket from the engine. With the factory bracket out of the vehicle I'm able to take some

measurements and see what the deal is with this mofo not fitting. :\

Here is the bracket I removed.

Giving the bracket the evil eye I could not tell if the bosses that the quad alt bracket mounts on are of

equal height. I ran the mounting bolts the quad alt bracket came with through the backside of the factory

alternator/power steering bracket.

With the bolts protruding through, I am now able to measure how much of the bolt extends beyond the boss.

If they all measure the same, the bosses are of equal height. Here is how I measured.

If you're like WTF, a wooden school ruler? Let me explain. I am going to get this bracket going with the

bare minimum. No fancy depth gages, digital micrometers, or CNC mills. Just real simple, real basic

tools, and tons of manual labor. See what I do, learn from what I do. If you got fancy tools, have at it

your way. If you don't have any tools, and have no clue, here is one way to skin this cat.

Back to the measurement. I got 3.5cm for all three mounting bosses. Cool, they're all the same height.

Now to get a quick measurement from the boss to the face of the factory alternator/power steering

bracket.

Here I get about 1.5cm. If your wondering about that little bit I missing since zero on the ruler isn't

on the edge. I consider that bit a constant. Since I will be taking all my measurements with this ruler

it's not going to throw anything off. Obviously the numbers I am using are not absolute, but they are

consistent. That's all I really need, consistent numbers.

Now onto the quad alt bracket. Since the bosses on the factory bracket are recessed from the face, the

quad alt bracket has three spacers welded on to the back side. In theory, these spacers put the backside

of the quad alt bracket in-front of the face of the factory alternator/power steering bracket. Let's see

what my little ruler says.

1.4cm is what I got for all three spacers. That's a difference of 1cm, about a washers thickness.

Therefore I'm going to have to put a washer at each mounting location. No fun, I can hear the washer

falling off the bolt as I try to line everything up. :P

Now that we have that out of the way let's see how everything lines up, or doesn't. With the bolts still

in through the backside of the factory bracket I added the necessary washers, and then installed the quad

alt bracket. This is what I got.

Two thing here are wrong. First, the hole in the quad alt bracket inside the yellow circle is noted in

the instructions as being 1" in diameter. It measures 5/8". Secondly, that same hole should be lined up

with the hole behind it on the factory bracket, not overlapping it. There is a steel bushing in the

factory bracket that interferes with quad alt bracket because of this hole being undersized and in the

wrong location. The simple fix would be to remove the steel bushing, but there is more to it than just

that. Take a look at this.

The steel bushing in the factory bracket is in a raised boss. This raised boss and the ridge next to it

are keeping the quad alt bracket from properly seating on it's mounting bosses. Here is a better look at

the offending boss on the factory bracket.

First things first, out with the steel bushing. Here's what I used.

Now to remove the offending boss and the little ridge next to it. Check this out.

I basically took a knee, putting all my weight on the foot over the bracket. Then I took a file and with

both hands, filed away till the bish was flat.

Let's take a look at how everything lines up now.

Looking good now. Now just to get the setup to fit in the vehicle.

Here is a shot of the vehicle ECU and it's mounting location. For reference the top of the pic is the

front of the vehicle.

Rivenuts to the rescue. I moved the vehicle ECU about three inches forward in vehicle.

Here is the vehicle ECU in it's new location with the battery tray in place

The next area of concern is the factory power distribution box. It is mounted onto the factory

alternator/power steering bracket, in the exact location that the quad alt bracket mounts the lower

alternator. Here is the little booger in it's original location.

The instructions mention nothing about relocating this little booger, but obviously something has to be

done. I took a closer look at the pics in the instructions and noticed that it is still used, just in a

modified position. With nothing else to go by but just a pic and my ingenuity, :P this is what I came up

with.

I added a new pair of mounting holes and gave it a slight bend to keep it from hitting the valve cover.

Another shot with the alternator in place.

Alright, now we're in business. Time to test fit the assembly in the vehicle. The bracket went on,

getting the washers in place over the bosses were a pain. A quick visual inspection revealed this.

The return line from the hydro-boost braking system to the power steering pump reservoir was being

pinched by the lower alternator bracket. Fhawk! This is going to be a real bish to fix. First off I

removed the drivers side inner fender, just to get a better view of the area in question. Here is a

close-up of the main offender.

This is a very delicate fix. I am going to bend the fitting straight. o_o True to my word, only simple

tools.

My main concern is cracking the fitting where it meets the reservoir. I did my best to support the

fitting where it meets the reservoir. I used the biggest hex key I could fit in the fitting and slowly

bent the fitting straight a little bend at a time.

I re-installed everything back in for the umpth-teen time. This is what I ended up with regarding the

hydro-boost braking system return line.

Finally, the bish is on.

That belt didn't go on without a fight. Now that's it on, concerns still linger. Here is a pic of the

belt tensioner with the factory accessory driver system. The marks are there for reference.

Here is the tensioner with the new setup.

The belt is tremendously long, so I'm not sure how much if any this belt will stretch. All I can say is

that the tensioner is fully compressed. Unfortunately, the instructions do not mention what the

alternator pulley diameters were used when this bracket was developed. My alternators have undersized

pulleys, as my high output alternators do. :\

The bish is on.

Final thoughts:

The bracket kind of works, the instruction manual sux. Good luck, I'm out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2011, 12:18 AM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2057
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

i got a buddy who has his alts and quad bracket. He had a hell of a time getting the bracket on the first time. I want to say he went and bought a long belt because the other one is so tight. Also now all of his alts he got from him shittt out. He had to grind all the paint off where it mounts because it wasnt grounding out right aswell

880prs/Front-Hybrid Audio Technology Legatia L8 L3 L1v2 3-way/Sub- 3 blown MB Quart RLP-304 shallow mount 12s/Sub Amp- Visonik v2908/4ch- DD C4a

Still got a lot of stuff left to get
Old 05-02-2011, 08:56 AM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1221

In accordance with forum rules I have created another thread in the General Discussion area regarding this bracket. Please make all questions, comments and thoughts here:

tejcurrent quad alt brkt for the masses (99+ GM fullsize) Review Q&A

Thank you.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:26 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1221

Last I left off with was with concerns of belt fitment. Lets recap a bit. This is a shot of the belt tensioner with the factory accessory setup and belt.

Here is a shot of the tensioner with quad alt bracket setup and the supplied belt.

My concern is the tensioner is fully compressed. On top of that I really had to fight the belt on. With a belt this tight it's only a matter of time before the the bearings of one of the accessories goes. I am going to explore two options to remedy this situation. First, and obvious, is get a longer belt. The second option is replace the idler pulleys with smaller ones. Lets take a look at what option one yields.

Option 1 Longer belt:

The kit comes with a very nice Gates Belt. It has an effective diameter of 136-1/2". That's a long belt, but we need a longer one. Unfortunately this is the longest 6 rib belt Gates makes. In comes Dayco. The longest belt Dayco offered is a 137" belt, P/N 5061370 (metric p/n 6PK3480) I tried this belt on with the quad alt setup, this is what I got.

Not bad. Now there is a little slack in the tensioner, not as much as stock, but better than with the original belt the quad alt setup came with. I was able to get the belt on with no drama with this longer Dayco belt.

Now lets explore option 2, smaller pulleys:

The quad alt bracket comes with 77mm idler pulleys. I did a little searching and found some 70mm pulleys from Dayco that would interchange with the ones the quad alt bracket came with. The Dayco P/N for the new pulley is 89144. Dayco does offer a steel version. For those interested it is P/N 89052. I opted for the plastic one because it was in stock at the time I ordered. Here is a side by side of the original pulley (steel) with the new pulley (plastic).

Here is a quick measurement of the backside of the original pulley to the mounting spacer's mounting side.

Here is the same measurement with the new pulley. Looks like a difference of half a millimeter, could be attributed to operator error. :P

Here is a shot of the bracket assembly with the new idler pulleys.

Here is the bracket assembly with the longer Dayco belt and the new idler pulleys.

The moment of truth, where the idler lands with regards to stock.

Looks like a winner? Not quite, this is what it looked like when I fired up the ol' power plant.

Well hell, I slapped on the original Gates belt the kit came with and this is what I ended up with at idle

So it looks as if you can go with either a longer belt or smaller pulleys but not both. Either option is better than leaving the kit as is. Stay tuned for an update after I put some miles on this kit.
The Following User Says Thank You to onebadmonte For This Useful Post:
cdorton16 (08-09-2011)
Old 06-02-2011, 10:38 AM
Ja Marcus

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss6975

Damn...Sounds like your doing some major R&D. Maybe they should pay you for your time! LOL

How do you like the Gates belt compared to Dayco?
Old 06-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss13630
Feedback Score: 19 reviews

very nice
Sub Stage: 18 DC Lvl 4 M2 12's in a Nasty 4th Order

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Subscribe now! Prizes will be given away for every 1000 subscribers!
Old 06-02-2011, 11:02 AM
I <3 ( . )( . )'s

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3010
Feedback Score: 29 reviews

I just did the triple kit, seemed to be much easier than some reviews i've seen of a few people doing the quad kit. My tensioner is barely off stock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:00 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioarsonal View Post
Damn...Sounds like your doing some major R&D. Maybe they should pay you for your time! LOL

How do you like the Gates belt compared to Dayco?
Most sincerely, everyone is free to do as they please with the info I posted here. I just thought I'd share my experience and give back to the community that has given me so much.

I like the Gates belt better than the Dayco. The Dayco belt in this length only comes in what they call their "W" profile ribbed belt. The ribs of the belt have a small vee cut into the crest of the rib, giving the ribs a "W" profile. Dayco claims this design to maintain better tracking with worn pulleys. I'm not impressed. If your pulleys are worn, buy new ones. This "W" profile is a temporary fix for a more serious problem. In my case the pulleys are new minus the crankshaft pulley, so I don't really need any tracking help. Plus if you have tracking issues that means something is mis-aligned or there is a worn pulley in on of the accessories. I'll stick with the Gates belt, plus the green color is visually pleasing.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:13 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPh33rRaCiNg View Post
I just did the triple kit, seemed to be much easier than some reviews i've seen of a few people doing the quad kit. My tensioner is barely off stock.
I can imagine that with a tripple alt setup there are more belt choices available because of the shorter length requirement. Nothing wrong with that. With this quad alt setup the alt locations are what they are. I think just to keep the inventory simple the same idler pulley is used between all kits. Who knows. It's seems going with smaller idler pulleys would be the way to go with this kit. There are others with this kit, I just haven't seen how they got their setups going.

I am curious to know if there were any hole misalignment issues with your kit? Did your front bracket align with the factory alternator hole with the steel bushing? Did you have to file on the factory bracket like I did to get everything to sit flat. If you have some pics please share them here. I think your views and sharing you experience would really help.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:34 PM
I <3 ( . )( . )'s

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3010
Feedback Score: 29 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadmonte View Post
I can imagine that with a tripple alt setup there are more belt choices available because of the shorter length requirement. Nothing wrong with that. With this quad alt setup the alt locations are what they are. I think just to keep the inventory simple the same idler pulley is used between all kits. Who knows. It's seems going with smaller idler pulleys would be the way to go with this kit. There are others with this kit, I just haven't seen how they got their setups going.

I am curious to know if there were any hole misalignment issues with your kit? Did your front bracket align with the factory alternator hole with the steel bushing? Did you have to file on the factory bracket like I did to get everything to sit flat. If you have some pics please share them here. I think your views and sharing you experience would really help.
Yes, the 3 bolts on the block lined up with the 3 like it should. Then that factory hole with the bushing is sitting right where it should. I'll try and get a pic real quick.

Last edited by NoPh33rRaCiNg; 06-02-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement