wiring lvl4 15"s - Car Audio Classifieds!
Car Audio Classifieds!  

Go Back   Car Audio Classifieds! > Vendors > (DC)

(DC) DC Audio's Online Forum


Notices

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-03-2011, 10:54 AM
New CACO Member
 
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss24
Location: wichita
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default wiring lvl4 15"s

ok i just bought 2 15" lvl4s and i was wondering how do i tell if they were dual 2 or dual 4ohm?

sorry for the noob question but im new to this stuff.. slowly learning!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 12-03-2011, 11:27 AM
caloriu's Avatar
Elite Member
 
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2863
Location: IL
Thanks: 102
Thanked 169 Times in 133 Posts
iTrader: (107)
Feedback Score: 107 reviews
Default

really the only way to tell is to test them with voltmeter that has the ability to measure ohms.
__________________
[
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 12-03-2011, 11:43 AM
btsteinb's Avatar
Elite Member
 
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3573
Location: Austin, TX
Thanks: 46
Thanked 282 Times in 224 Posts
iTrader: (30)
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
Default

get a digital multimeter.
put the prongs or clips on the wires for the sub and turn the multi to ohms

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 12-03-2011, 01:03 PM
New CACO Member
 
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss24
Location: wichita
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

awesome thanks for the replys.

ok so does it matter which terminals i use on the sub? its a dual voicecoil, so should i wire it like i was going to hook it up to an amp and then test it or am i over complicating it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 12-03-2011, 01:49 PM
caloriu's Avatar
Elite Member
 
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2863
Location: IL
Thanks: 102
Thanked 169 Times in 133 Posts
iTrader: (107)
Feedback Score: 107 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrated12 View Post
awesome thanks for the replys.

ok so does it matter which terminals i use on the sub? its a dual voicecoil, so should i wire it like i was going to hook it up to an amp and then test it or am i over complicating it?
when testing ohm polarity does not matter but i always test them properly red to positive black to neg.

as for wiring you need to know what ohm sub you have so you can wire it properly according to the amp you are going to use.

for example, if its a dual 2 ohm you can wire to get 2 or 4 ohm load dipending on what amp you have most amps these days are 1 ohm stable some are only 2 ohm stable .
also are you using 1 amp for each sub or 1 amp per sub?

when you are building a system alot of info is needed the better you prepare for the install the smoother and more reliable it will be .
for example what kind of power on single or dual amps? alt, wires, power/ground, any extra batt?

not trying to confuse you but i see people trying to run a 3k amp on stock electrical on 4 guage wire.

also level 4 subs is not an entry level so keep in mind each sub takes 1000 watts rms and thats propably the least amount of power to get some kind of decent sound out of them each .
__________________
[

Last edited by caloriu; 12-03-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 12-03-2011, 02:23 PM
New CACO Member
 
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss24
Location: wichita
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caloriu View Post
when testing ohm polarity does not matter but i always test them properly red to positive black to neg.

as for wiring you need to know what ohm sub you have so you can wire it properly according to the amp you are going to use.

for example, if its a dual 2 ohm you can wire to get 2 or 4 ohm load dipending on what amp you have most amps these days are 1 ohm stable some are only 2 ohm stable .
also are you using 1 amp for each sub or 1 amp per sub?

when you are building a system alot of info is needed the better you prepare for the install the smoother and more reliable it will be .
for example what kind of power on single or dual amps? alt, wires, power/ground, any extra batt?


not trying to confuse you but i see people trying to run a 3k amp on stock electrical on 4 guage wire.

also level 4 subs is not an entry level so keep in mind each sub takes 1000 watts rms and thats propably the least amount of power to get some kind of decent sound out of them each .
ok thanks for the advice. I guess I should of listed all the details first.

I just bought these subs off c-list with an AQ 2200 amp. I asked the kid if they were dual 2 or 4 and he was unsure. He said the guy he bought them from hooked them up for him. I am assuming they are dual 4 so they could be wired to 1ohm, but I want to be sure.
My truck is currently wired with 1/0 kicker wire. Im going to do a big 3 up grade on my stock alt. Also I was told I could run up to 3k on my stock alt but should get a 2nd battery. I believe my alt is 170amp or so?
I still have to build a box and everything else first, I am just seeing if this amp sub combo will go good together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 12-03-2011, 03:01 PM
caloriu's Avatar
Elite Member
 
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2863
Location: IL
Thanks: 102
Thanked 169 Times in 133 Posts
iTrader: (107)
Feedback Score: 107 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrated12 View Post
ok thanks for the advice. I guess I should of listed all the details first.

I just bought these subs off c-list with an AQ 2200 amp. I asked the kid if they were dual 2 or 4 and he was unsure. He said the guy he bought them from hooked them up for him. I am assuming they are dual 4 so they could be wired to 1ohm, but I want to be sure.
My truck is currently wired with 1/0 kicker wire. Im going to do a big 3 up grade on my stock alt. Also I was told I could run up to 3k on my stock alt but should get a 2nd battery. I believe my alt is 170amp or so?
I still have to build a box and everything else first, I am just seeing if this amp sub combo will go good together.
once you do the big 3 and extra batt that set up should work just make sure you dont drop below 13 v when car is running and i would test the extra battery before starting the car to make sure it rests at 12.6 minimum.

also you already made a mistake when buying subs off of cl unless you know the guy personally you should always check the coils .
i know checking the coils is not the best way to see if they are fully working subs but really with out a box and amp installed its the only real test you can do.

start by checking each of the 2 coils per sub and see what you have so no need for guessing just because the previous guy did something does not mean its always the right way.

i hooked up a friends amp at 1/4 ohm before rise with monster electrical and no issues is this recomended depends who you ask .again just becuase we did it does not mean its right but was fun lol. and no the amp did not blow up and until today its still playing every day on music.
__________________
[
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 12-03-2011, 03:01 PM
Droppin' HZ Car Audio
 
Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1596
Location: Virginia
Thanks: 8
Thanked 123 Times in 94 Posts
iTrader: (26)
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Default

The Level 4s would either be D1 or D2, they are not offered with a D4 coil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 12-03-2011, 04:00 PM
New CACO Member
 
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss24
Location: wichita
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

so when i test the coils they should should read 1 ohm for d1?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 12-04-2011, 03:50 AM
Crazy4bass's Avatar
Das Wagen. Do Werk.
 
Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1973
Location: 925 CA
Thanks: 165
Thanked 139 Times in 105 Posts
iTrader: (1)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrated12 View Post
so when i test the coils they should should read 1 ohm for d1?
No, they should read .5 or 2 ohms each woofer for d1.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Crazy4bass; 12-04-2011 at 03:54 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Car Audio Classifieds! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Level of Car Audio Knowledge
What's your level of car audio?

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 15" lvl4 dc zrated12 Enclosure Discussion & Design Construction Help 1 12-02-2011 02:16 PM
18" dc lvl4 xl d2 jamiebassman 18" Subwoofers 0 06-14-2011 08:13 PM
Dc lvl4. 10". silveradothump 10" Subwoofers 7 04-07-2011 12:00 PM
15" DC LVL4 d2 doylerules826 15" Subwoofers 32 11-17-2010 01:09 PM

» Amps
A/d/s/
Advent
Alphasonik
Alpine
American Bass
ARC Audio
Atomic
Audio Art
Audio Gods
Audiobahn
Audiocontrol
Audiopipe
Audison
Aura
Autotek
Avionixx
Bazooka
Beyma
Blaupunkt
Boss
Boston Acoustics
Bravox
Cadence
Cascade (CAE)
CDT Audio
Cerwin Vega
Clarion
Clif Designs
Concept
Coustic
Critical Mass
Crossfire
Crunch
DB Drive
DC Audio
DC Power
DEI
Denon
Diabolo
Diamond
Digital Designs
Directed
DLS
Dual
DYnamat
Dynaudio
Earthquake
Eclipse
Elemental Designs
ESX
Eton
Farenheit
Fi Car Audio
Fix My Speaker
Focal
Fusion
Genesis
Ground Zero
Hafler
Helix
Hertz
Hifonics
Hushmat
Image Dynamics
Infinity
Interfire
JBL
Jensen
JL Audio
JVC
Kenwood
Kicker
Knu Konceptz
Kole Audio
Kove Audio
Lanzar
Lightning Audio
Linear Power
MA Audio
Magnat
Marantz
Massive Audio
MB Quart
McIntosh
Memphis
Metra
MMATS
Mobile Authority
Morel
MTX
Nakamichi
Niche Audio
O2 Audio
Ohio Generator
Optima
Orion
Oxygen Audio
OZ Audio
PG Audio
Phase Linear
Phoenix Gold
Pioneer
Polk
Power Acoustik
Powerbass
Powermaster
Precision Power
Profile
Pyle
Pyramid
RadioShack
Rainbow
Rampage
RE AUdio
Rockford Fosgate
Scanspeak
Scosche
Seas
Sony
soundstream
Sparkomatic
SPL Dynamics
Stinger
Sundown Audio
Swiss Audio
Targa
TC Sounds
TREO Engineering
TRU
Tsunami
Ultimate
US Acoustics
US Amps
Velodyne
Vifa
Viper
Visonik
Xtant
Zapco
Zed Audio
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Links
Amp Guts
amplifier, amp guts, ampguts, car audio classifieds, speakers and subs for sale with listings of 12 volt sound systems. Security systems for sale for aftermarket car audio equipment with amplifier and amps for sale
Car Audio Forum
car audio forum, moble audio, car stereo, wholesale car audio, 12 volt, with, amplifier, amp, subwoofer, sound quality, buy car audio, and sell automotive stereo systems for cars
Car Audio Sound Quality Forum
Sound QUality science based car audio forum, amplifier, subs and speaker design, fabrication help, sound systems forum, aftermarket car audio website for sound quality.
Car Stereo Forum
DIYMA car audio stereo forum for 12 volt car audio subwoofer and amplifier systems that have sound quality with wholesale car audio products.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.