Single 15" 4th Order Bandpass Questions...1.5ft^3 sealed&3.5ft^3 ported? - Car Audio Classifieds!
Car Audio Classifieds!  

Go Back   Car Audio Classifieds! > Enclosures, Fabrication & Sound Deadening > Enclosure Discussion & Design Construction Help

Enclosure Discussion & Design Construction Help Have questions about enclosure design neeed some help thoughout your build, ask here.

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 09:19 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1561
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Default Single 15" 4th Order Bandpass Questions...1.5ft^3 sealed&3.5ft^3 ported?

I am gonna be making a 4th order bandpass(or at least try lol) for the New 15" DC XL m2.Its recommended to have 3.5ft^3 net for a vented box.I want to tune it to 32hz. Would the cone and top of the woofer be mounted so that the top of the woofer was in the sealed area and the basket/motor be in the vented area? Would I tune the vented part of the box just as I would a normal vented box (I.e. 32hz,8sq in per foot,32sq in total) What is the sealed chambers actual job? How do you decide if you want to run 1ft^3 or 2ft^3 ? I have a gross volume of 6.51ft^3 and max dimensions of 36x24x16.5

And the big question on my mind is how the hell do I put the subwoofer in and back out? Is there any design that allows me quick access to the sub to be able to take it out and swap subs? I will pay $20 for a good 4th order design along with cut sheet if possible

Thanks
James

Sent from my DROID 4 using Tapatalk
Digital Designs M3a(3 of them) & SAZ-2500d
18" Crossfire XS V.2 / 15" DC XL m2 D2
Need DC 270xp,320xp or bigger alt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 07:06 PM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I also going to have one, and wonderd about the 4th order box.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Das Wagen. Do Werk.

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1973
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdubs04ss View Post
I am gonna be making a 4th order bandpass(or at least try lol) for the New 15" DC XL m2.Its recommended to have 3.5ft^3 net for a vented box.I want to tune it to 32hz. Would the cone and top of the woofer be mounted so that the top of the woofer was in the sealed area and the basket/motor be in the vented area? Would I tune the vented part of the box just as I would a normal vented box (I.e. 32hz,8sq in per foot,32sq in total) What is the sealed chambers actual job? How do you decide if you want to run 1ft^3 or 2ft^3 ? I have a gross volume of 6.51ft^3 and max dimensions of 36x24x16.5

And the big question on my mind is how the hell do I put the subwoofer in and back out? Is there any design that allows me quick access to the sub to be able to take it out and swap subs? I will pay $20 for a good 4th order design along with cut sheet if possible

Thanks
James

Thats what I would do. And most people when making 4th orders they make removable panels to get the subs in and out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:24 PM
Awaiting Confirmation

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss923
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

i make the port removable to make it easier to change tuning and the sub will fit through were the port unscrews from and i would try around 1.5-2 on the sealed side and have the sub inverted to help cooling
AMP: 3 SAZ-3K's
BOX: 4th order wall

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss5201
Feedback Score: 37 reviews

You realize 32Hz tuning in a ported and 4th order are two totally different things. My 4th order is tuned low 40s and plays 26Hz with ease.

Sent from my C771
The Following User Says Thank You to treylittlefield For This Useful Post:
tymoto21 (03-07-2012)
Old 03-08-2012, 07:31 AM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss14

ok so here is where ill start my friend...

as stated above a 4th order should really never be tuned below 40hz...

as for your box ratio some people say 3:1 (3cubic ported, 1 cubic sealed) others say 2:1 (3cubic ported, 1.5cubic sealed) personally i like to go 2:1 but that's just my preference...

for placement of the sub, also as stated above you should really fire into your sealed chamber, it helps with cooling, but it also help you tell weather of not you might be burning your coil/coils because you will be able to smell them, where as if you had them fire into the ported chamber you would never know and destroy your subs...

now as for getting them im and out... your best bet with the DC XL 15 (seeing as its quite big) id say do your wood/mdf top and then cut out nice square/rectangle big enough to get the sub in and out, then route it and put in a plexiglass sheet window... (i mean why hide the sexiness of that dc, show it off!!!)

as for a design i would need more information, like... do you want it slot ported or aero'ed? how do you want the port/sub placed (into cabin **if into cabin your gonna have to seal that bish from the trunk or it would prob sound like poopie** or into trunk, or against 1 side or the other of your trunk wall) 45's in the corners?
Old 03-08-2012, 02:29 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1561
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepbassaddictions View Post
ok so here is where ill start my friend...

as stated above a 4th order should really never be tuned below 40hz...

as for your box ratio some people say 3:1 (3cubic ported, 1 cubic sealed) others say 2:1 (3cubic ported, 1.5cubic sealed) personally i like to go 2:1 but that's just my preference...

for placement of the sub, also as stated above you should really fire into your sealed chamber, it helps with cooling, but it also help you tell weather of not you might be burning your coil/coils because you will be able to smell them, where as if you had them fire into the ported chamber you would never know and destroy your subs...

now as for getting them im and out... your best bet with the DC XL 15 (seeing as its quite big) id say do your wood/mdf top and then cut out nice square/rectangle big enough to get the sub in and out, then route it and put in a plexiglass sheet window... (i mean why hide the sexiness of that dc, show it off!!!)

as for a design i would need more information, like... do you want it slot ported or aero'ed? how do you want the port/sub placed (into cabin **if into cabin your gonna have to seal that bish from the trunk or it would prob sound like poopie** or into trunk, or against 1 side or the other of your trunk wall) 45's in the corners?
Thanks for gettin back at me..umm I think id want to do slot ported and I was already wanting to do plexiglass because of its sheer sexyness nature lol I want it firing to the rear most likely because this is going to be just for my ears own listenin pleasure and plus there's never any comps around me lol. Id want to 45 the corners also. I'm open to anything. I know my car peaks at 44hz but I want it to dig low also..I'm not to knowledgeable about 4th order bandpass enclosures so any designs or input would be greatly appreciated..I also will pay for whatever final designs/cut sheets...Thanks!

Digital Designs M3a(3 of them) & SAZ-2500d
18" Crossfire XS V.2 / 15" DC XL m2 D2
Need DC 270xp,320xp or bigger alt
Old 03-08-2012, 02:49 PM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss14

Ill work some magic n see what I come up with, but not right this sec im so beat n over tired... You could also post for a FREE design in the design forums or you could just shoot SPY a message if you want it sooner
Old 03-08-2012, 02:55 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1801
Feedback Score: 17 reviews

^^ Id be interested in that design whenever you get it done and ill pay shoot me a pm.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:54 PM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss14

I take it your dimensions above are 36w24d16.5h? I'm booting up my comp now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement