Car Audio Classifieds! banner

Trunk car 4th/6th order or ??

2K views 33 replies 7 participants last post by  audiobuffru12 
#1 ·
I'm looking at doing a new setup in my trunk. I'm going to need all new gear (amp, subs, enclosure) and I want to do something different, oh like maybe a 4th or 6th order ported through the rear deck with an aero port (or 2, depending on box design). Does anyone have any thoughts for gear? I'm looking for very flat response (more of an sq car) and I want to use it to bassrace 29.9. I'll probably have wenn do the design, since he seems to have that whole thing down. So I'm looking for thoughts/suggestions/ideas on gear and enclosure options. I want my trunk back, so dimensions are 33"w x 16"h x ~12-14"d...

Discuss, and thanks for any/all the the suggestions...

#6 ·
i wouldnt be able to run a sony, even if it is a nice amp.... i just couldnt do it...

#7 ·
Thanks wenn. What I'm looking for is just something to play from the mid to high 20hz range up to like 50-55hz, and do so very flat and on not much power. I'm trying to keep my budget as small as possible, since it will be almost solely funded from the sales of my current gear.

Obrien, an Omega needs more power than I'm going to run, and needs too big of a box.

#11 ·
I have no problem with AA, but I need something that'll work well in some kind of small enclosure.

As for amps/batts, I'm running 1 batt underhood, and amps will be mounted on some kind of beauty panel, if I do a bp the way I'm thinking right now...

#13 ·
After thinking about it some, I think I'm just going to do a single 10 facing forward, and ported through the rear deck. I was going to do a single 6" aero port through one side, but I can't fit a 6" aero, so I'm going to have to back down to 4" aeros and I think I can get away with running 2, one through each 6x9 hole, and run the sub in the middle. I'll seal the enclosure off from the trunk (which shouldn't be too hard since I'm probably going to have to kick the enclosure into place). I'm only worried about the rear armrest plastic piece vibrating like no other...

#15 ·
It's right in the middle of the car, so either 1. I'd have to get creative with how the box is designed, or 2. I could only run a really small box... The problem is having a box and still being able to get my spare tire out. I only have ~12-14" of depth in order to be able to easily get the spare out... I have 33" of width between the shock towers so I'm going to try and use all of that...

#17 ·
I'm going to try and get some more info on the AE subs like the one Bumpin Buick used in the 15" challenge. The 12's have a 2.5" vc and they're rated at 1kw. Right now I'm looking at either the AV12-X or AV12-H. Just can't decide which would fit my application better... I started playing around with some enclosure designs today, and I think I'm going to go with something like this:

#19 ·
More info on this? I couldn't get the tuning where I wanted with that last idea without going to a ~2.75 cubic foot enclosure... So now I'm thinking some kind sealed clamshell with either 4 8's or 2 10's using the ski pass to get air into the cabin...

If you have any pics of this 6th order setup you did? Also, any kind of box design info you have on it? I'd be interested in at least taking a look at it since it sounds about right for the power I'm looking to run...

#22 ·
Yes... It's basically an Accord, but my seats don't fold down... I have 3 points where the air can move from the trunk to the cabin: the 6x9 holes in the rear deck, and the ski pass in the center of the rear seat. If the seats folded down, this would be a lot easier, but they don't, so I'm going to have to get creative...

#24 ·
It's a 98 Acura CL... And no, the seats don't fold down at all... I have a nice big brace behind the seats that doesn't allow airflow for shit. That's why I'm having to work around it...

#26 ·
A rear seat swap with an Accord is possible, but too much work... The ski hole is about 4"w x 6-8" h. As of now, I have no subs or amp, so I'm open to suggestions/ideas there. I was trying to keep this on a rather small budget, trying to spend less than $200-250 on subs, and less than $200 on an amp. I'm building this to bassrace 29.9, so I probably only need 1000w or so, and that's probably more than I'll need anyway. I'm going to a show at the Maxxonics headquarters in 4 weeks, and I'd like to have everything but an amp by then, and then see what kind of deals they're running...

#28 ·
So rather than make a new thread, I figured I'd bump this one. I'm working on a temporary setup for this weekend using mostly borrowed gear. Amp is a bxi-2407, sub will likely be a Sundown Z15. I'm trying to figure out the combination for the sub/port that will work best out of the trunk. I know it goes on a case by case thing, but I just need ideas... I have 17"h x 33"w x ??"d. Here's the problem:

That big ass brace supports the rear seats. My first idea was to yank that thing out sometime this week, and then I'll have all the air travel through the rear seat. Anyone have any other ideas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.