Trunk: Woofer/Port? Anyone Tried These Layouts? - Car Audio Classifieds!
Car Audio Classifieds!  

Go Back   Car Audio Classifieds! > Enclosures, Fabrication & Sound Deadening > Enclosure Discussion & Design Construction Help

Enclosure Discussion & Design Construction Help Have questions about enclosure design neeed some help thoughout your build, ask here.

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 03:27 AM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss791
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Default Trunk: Woofer/Port? Anyone Tried These Layouts?

Hey guys, I am wondering what you would do here, and or whether or not if you have had luck with a few different orientations for trunk builds.

Two 15" Mach 5 SPL motors with IA Warden drop-ins, trunk of a newer Mercedes C300 Sport 4-Matic. LOTS of power, or little, but I am a HUGE fan of efficiency. I'd much rather not place my 7kW amplifier in there
Pair of 6", single/pair 8", single 9", or 10" ports I have. 6 cubes net is had as well. I goofed up on measuring but OH WELL! These drivers were built to perform well in smaller volume anyway specifically WoO0t.

Thank you in advance friends.

In my car, the woofers up at the rear deck (2-3" from deck whilst sitting static BTW- should I perforate my rear deck with a few 4.125" hole saw holes? Perforate the rear seat vertical backing too? Or cut a rectangle with a cut-off wheel? Same with deck with rectangle instead of easy way with hole saw? )
and the vent side loading into the driver's side is disgusting loud and proven in my car at least. I can certainly stick with that, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried these other layouts and had luck doing do.

1) Woofers up at deck, but RIGHT next to each other "centered" width wise, but all the way up forward next to each other in the middle of the top plate/baffle with or without divider between. Or if it doesn't matter I'd just mount drivers up front and centered in each "side" respectively. More than likely utilizing two 6" PSP ports on the opposite "corner" of the rear plate/plate facing bumper. This way, the woofers are on the opposite corner of each enclosure if a divider is used and the vent is rearward firing but on opposite side and not necessarily opposite corner I suppose of the driver, BUT, big thing here is, or why I'm asking is that the vent(s) are not in the center of back plate, only to have lots of the rebound bounce off rear and while heading forward much is stopped by the wide and tall enclosure. I never understood centering rear ports (unless much room is had) if possible to go on the sides so less rear wave/rebound is blocked. Or I haven't any idea what I'm talking about LOL. In this case it'd have to be two ports, and not one large side rear port.

2) Woofers up, and side loading ports, however ports are one on each side. Now, in theory this would cause cancellation out the ya-yo. But, what if the driver's side corner is MUCH larger and deeper via a compartment, while passenger side port would load into a wall that is much closer to its opening and flat without a deeper compartment to fire into?

3) Woofers up, however, say 'tis divided or separate enclosure are set side-by-side, and one driver fires up at rear deck, and its port is side firing or up firing to lid, with the other side or other enclosure has its port firing at deck or side, and driver is firing up and the deck lid essentially?

4) Anyone ever had woofers fire up at the lid? My lid could take a Cheytac Intervention at point blank, but still even if bulletproof is it okay to fire woofers up onto trunk lid and say maybe port(s) up onto rear deck? Or rather, side fire port(s)? I assume side firing ports opposite sides is dumb, especially if same spot and all, just different directions 180 degrees from each other lol, so it'd probably be driver's side port onto shock tower, or up at deck, with woofers up onto lid.

5) Woofers up onto lid, and port centered on "front plate," where I could chop out a ski hole to allow a homemade 9" port into the cabin.

6) Woofers up onto deck, and port centered onto front plate, if port length is too long and drivers are too close to interior vent opening in the above layout.

7) Woofers onto rear deck, port(s) onto lid? Or other way around with port onto deck and woofers onto lid? I could flip around if it's worked for anyone

8) Woofers onto lid, and port through deck? I HIGHLY doubt this will work, already with preliminary measurements in my head nearly anything with port(s) upfiring will NOT work.

If I could make the port fire into cabin via a ski hole though, must I seal off the deck so no front waves can enter the cabin? Seal port to rear seat backing too? Or just let 'er fire as close to possible to ski hole? I suppose if not sealed off it'd allow some front wave to interfere but I am unsure if vent opening is darned close enough to seat backing.

Any other ideas my friends? I am always down to try some new ish out
Thank you much fellas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement