Car Audio Classifieds! banner

How big is this box for this kicker?

531 views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  robman 
#1 ·
#2 ·
From my past experience Kicker has been very close to spot on as to what their subwoofers prefer. I have not had or heard this subwoofer but given the specs they provide for the box I would say .6 sealed seems very close to what I would do. A little smaller if you plan to have more power on tap but seems like a great starting point. Is this for a car or HT? You can always had a little polyfil to a build like this to help make the subwoofer think it is in a little larger box if you feel the box is a bit undersized .

#3 ·
.6 cube box sounds about right and as for if that size of a box is big, no its actually very small. think of it this way, a 12"x12"x12" box is 1 cube foot, a 12"x12"x7.2" is .6 cubes... remember this is inside dimensions of the box without the sub in there, so with sub displacement inside would need to be more like 12"x12"x8" and if you use 3/4 mdf or birch plywood you'd end up with outside dimensions of 13.5"x13.5"x9.5"

#6 ·
all you need is to plan out your pieces, go to lowes/home depot/etc., get a sheet of 3/4" mdf and they can cut them for you, you will need either a router or a jigsaw to cut out the subwoofer hole, 1 5/16" screws, a drill to drive the screws in, and wood glue.

#5 ·
Nothing wrong with having someone build a box. But you ever try to build one man? Was not sure if you have, most of the ones I recall you had looked like prefab style, but I could be mistaken. A small sealed box like this would be a good start at learning. Just seen your post & knowing you play around with various subs & amps, building boxes is always good to know & not too difficult, & can save a bit of money. Keep an eye on CL for free wood etc., I’ve found whole free sheets people were getting rid of, lol, never know what you’ll find in the free section!

#7 ·
if a shop did all that, it would be done in 30 minutes (plus travel time) and tack on another $40-50 in labor cost. with that extra money, you could buy a tool and have it for the next box you want to build

#9 ·
ya, it would fit on a half sheet, but some places suck and make you buy a full sheet :/ you can try asking for a half sheet some places will work with you. if nothing else, you will have left over wood to do whatever you want with

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.