Car Audio Classifieds! banner

critique wall plans

396 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  tymoto21 
#1 ·
This is in a 1999 honda prelude so it consists of fiberglass/birch. Subs are zv3 motor/surround but with a softer suspension and longer coil. Power for now will be a sundown 3500 wired to .5 ohms

So far I have the floor an sidewalls in and the back piece fiberglassed on.

14.108 cb ft gross(have room for 2-3 more cubes if it matters)

after ports/subs

12.438 cb ft net
3 8" aero ports at 18" length 5 external(ends up being 5" from back wall)
tuned to 34 hz with 150.72" of port area(12.12 per cube)

I know being slightly closer than diameter of port makes tuning drop by a bit but by how much? A full hz or more?

I listen to almost exclusively decaf stuff/stuff I slow down (28-36 hz range), will 34hz tuning be fine for that or should I got lower? My highest tuned box before this wall has been 32 hz.

thanks for any input anyone can offer

See less See more
#2 ·
If your exclusively listening to decaf I'd go lower but if your too close to the backwall your going to choke the port, lose a bit of output AND lower tuning. Your tuning will probably end up closer to 32hz when it's all said and done as it is. Do you have bracing planned for this box? Any way to fit less areos that are larger, maybe a big oval one? Perhaps even do a slot, 3 areos arent' really giving you an effeciency advantage as compared to a slot port anymore. I'd use some of that extra box space to allow a shorter pot that can adequately fit in the depth you have to play with. Odds are there is a better compromise with the space you have than what your doing now.

#3 ·
If your exclusively listening to decaf I'd go lower but if your too close to the backwall your going to choke the port, lose a bit of output AND lower tuning. Your tuning will probably end up closer to 32hz when it's all said and done as it is. Do you have bracing planned for this box? Any way to fit less areos that are larger, maybe a big oval one? Perhaps even do a slot, 3 areos arent' really giving you an effeciency advantage as compared to a slot port anymore. I'd use some of that extra box space to allow a shorter pot that can adequately fit in the depth you have to play with. Odds are there is a better compromise with the space you have than what your doing now.
4 oz fiberglass mat/threaded rod for bracing and strengthening box

I could do 2 10" aeros but no bigger. Slot port wont work with my dimensions pretty much no matter what, wont be able to get it tuned low enough without sacrificing a lot of port area.

Have 19" depth max and can extend aeros 7" out of box(8.5-9 inches with an 8" aero) . Could add more box space to lower tuning but wouldnt that be too much airspace for a sub similar to a sundown zv3? already pushing 6.2 cubes per sub

#4 ·
I would tune no lower than 32
At that point you are sacrificing so much of the upper range
Not to mention you don't give up valuable internal airspace
Also changing tuning from 30 to 32 could be 5" of port length so it may loose more output vs gaining down low

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.