Sa12 sealed or 2 e8v3's ported box help - Car Audio Classifieds!
Car Audio Classifieds!  

Go Back   Car Audio Classifieds! > Enclosures, Fabrication & Sound Deadening > Enclosure Discussion & Design Construction Help

Enclosure Discussion & Design Construction Help Have questions about enclosure design neeed some help thoughout your build, ask here.

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2014, 10:45 PM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Sa12 sealed or 2 e8v3's ported box help

I have a 2011 ram crew cab and currently have an sa 12 in a sealed box under the rear seats, box is around 1.25 cubes on 500 watts. It starts to drop off quickly below 36 hz, so I am looking to change it up. I am considering rebuilding the box to get as much airspace as I can and run the sa sealed, or run 2 e8v3's ported. Does anybody know how to tune the port in a fiberglass box? Which setup is going to play lower than what I currently have? I'm not looking for tons of spl, as the system is geared more toward sq but all types of music are lacking in the lower frequencies right now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2014, 11:28 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4405
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Is there any way you can add an external port to the sealed enclosure you have now? If you can cut a hole in the box and extend a 4" diameter piece of PVC that's 22" long you'll gain well over 6dB from 30-50hz. That gives you a 33hz tuning. You can go lower with a longer port.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:12 AM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss20

Adding a port to this box is going to be difficult. The only flat part on the box is the baffle which is around 3 inches from the bottom of the seat so not a lot of room. Would a 3 inch round port be enough port area for an sa12? I'm pretty sure I could fit a 3" port inside the box if I re-baffled it and added a few layers to make it taller. Would love to run this sub ported in this truck.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:44 AM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4405
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

I did a quick sim in BBP6. On 500w with a 4" port you're peaking at 28m/s vent velocity at around 30hz. Dropping to a 3" port of the same tuning takes that up to 48m/s at 30hz, and that's waaaay too much. It will work, but I'd expect noticeable chuffing around 30-40hz. You could do two 3" ports, both about 26" in length if you have the room. If you have enough area on the baffle you could use two 90 degree elbows to sink into the baffle and run the ports "sideways" under the seats. I have no idea if you have room for this though, lol.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:21 PM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss20

Here's a couple pics of the box. Not a lot of room under the seat. I am thinking I'm going to extend the box over into the other cubby. I am also going to add 2 layers to the frame the baffle mounts to for more depth. I might be able to squeeze a 4" port in the box, just need to find a 90 degree coupler that bends sharp enough so the port exits on the baffle.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:22 PM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss20

Another pic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement