Ideas for box for two DD 9515's in 93 Continental trunk...? - Car Audio Classifieds!
Car Audio Classifieds!  

Go Back   Car Audio Classifieds! > Enclosures, Fabrication & Sound Deadening > Enclosure Discussion & Design Construction Help

Enclosure Discussion & Design Construction Help Have questions about enclosure design neeed some help thoughout your build, ask here.

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2009, 06:43 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1741
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Default Ideas for box for two DD 9515's in 93 Continental trunk...?

Ok i want to start planning the box for two 9515d's in the trunk of my 1993 Lincoln Continental, and maybe even start cutting the pieces for it since i have some extra mdf right now, i am pretty sure ill need another sheet atleast to make it tho.

Anyways, i measured my trunk and the easiest way i can build it is:

36" wide
16-17" high
around 36" deep MAX (i would prefer to not be so deep)

I figured that can work out to be plenty of volume after sub and port displacment. Cuz at those dimensions i get about 10 cubes and i dono how much the port will take up, right now thats not really my concern.

My biggest concern is where in the hell im going to place the port on this thing. It obviously wont fit on the side with the two subs. I wanted to just do a slot port, but am not against a aero, but i would be using pvc pipe for the aero port.

I was thinking my best bet would be to put the ports on top of the box where they would fire into the rear deck's speaker holes. I was thinking of just going all out and cutting some shit up, but i really would rather not after looking at, i cant find anywhere that would really benefit cutting without looking like complete shit. I will get some pics up, maybe someone can give some ideas as far as that. Then the thing with the aeros is im not sure i can make the aeros long enough with my box only being 17" high at most. Then i guess id have to bend the damn things at that. I was thinking two 8" pvc's, would that be enough port?

Right now thats as far as i have ideas for.. Ill try to get some pics up soon so someone can try and give some ideas maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2009, 06:45 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12257
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

fire both subs to the rear and port to one of the sides. you have 12+ sq ft which is more than enough space. how much power will be on them?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:49 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1741

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones22 View Post
fire both subs to the rear and port to one of the sides. you have 12+ sq ft which is more than enough space. how much power will be on them?

My plan was to fire the subs to the rear like my previous box for the single 9515. So port it to the side? Im not sure i could fit ports in the side anywhere that will be open, almost the whole back half of the box will be about covered, and its a perfect fit where im putting it, so the rear has no room for the port to breathe really.

As for power, again im still not sure. Im still running that same crappy amp on the single sub. Right now im just planning ahead a little to build the box so im ready after i get the other sub fixed and get some power. My plan is ATLEAST 1.5k to each, hoping for more but i dont know, amps are not cheap and neither is the electrical to support them.

About what size would you recommend for the pair after the port and sub displacement? Also any idea on how much port area?

Old 09-20-2009, 06:54 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12257
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by westman995 View Post
My plan was to fire the subs to the rear like my previous box for the single 9515. So port it to the side? Im not sure i could fit ports in the side anywhere that will be open, almost the whole back half of the box will be about covered, and its a perfect fit where im putting it, so the rear has no room for the port to breathe really.

As for power, again im still not sure. Im still running that same crappy amp on the single sub. Right now im just planning ahead a little to build the box so im ready after i get the other sub fixed and get some power. My plan is ATLEAST 1.5k to each, hoping for more but i dont know, amps are not cheap and neither is the electrical to support them.

About what size would you recommend for the pair after the port and sub displacement? Also any idea on how much port area?
1000-1500 each put them in around 4ft per
if you can get more power drop it down to 3-3.5 each

go with 15sq" per cu ft for the port

Old 09-20-2009, 08:05 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1741

This isnt really to spec, well i mean its 36x36x16.75 (the .75 is the top piece, not drawn in) The port is like 9" wide. I guess this is just to ask if this "idea/plan" will work out with the port being in the place it is? That is the only place i can put the port and letting it breathe. My concern is being close behind the speaker. Also, i am not even sure that the port will fit there, it may be too wide and still get cut off by the trunk wall, i have to measure. And ya i really suck at designing boxes, i get too easily confused when calculating this stuff, like if im supposed to calculate the port length using the full box volume, or if im suppose to try and figure out the port length after the port displacment to get the right tuning?? I dono i cant figure this stuff out.. And the RE box calc is of no help at all. If i put anything in the highest tuning i can get is like 30hz and im gona go higher, i think... and even then, it says its like 7 cubes whcih i thought it would be a bit more space.

Anyways, here is the idea, let me know if that will work fine with the placement of the subs and port, and i guess ill go from there. Subs firing to the rear and port firing to drivers side... (actually, i may fire it towards the passenger only due to my amps are on the drivers side)

EDIT: And one other problem, this isnt going to slide into the trunk so im not sure how/if i can even pull this off. I may have to build the box inside the trunk?? That really sucks cuz my spare tire is under the box and would never come out, right now wiht the single sub i can pull the box out and get the tire if need be., But with the two subs it will never come out..

The port board is 9" away from the sub mounting baffle, i think the sub has about an 8" mounting depth.

Last edited by westman995; 09-20-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:40 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1741

So.. No one has input on that design? Im thinking it wont work very well being right behind the sub and its basically gona make an air pocket i guess.. Trying to get pics of my trunk and stuff today.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:13 PM
Hockey players, man...

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1616
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

with the port where it is in this design, I think you have issues with different back pressures on the two woofers.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:22 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1741

Your prolly right. I was afraid this would not work very good.

I think my only other option right now is to put the port on top of the box maybe. How much room do i need between the port and the wall of the trunk? I was thinking maybe just a slot port along the whole box and be skinnier. But there may not be enough room for the port to breathe real good that way either.

Depends on how long the ports need to be if i were to use two 8" aeros i dont think it will work great tho.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:50 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1741

Well here are some pics of what i got to work with, and my box for the single 9515.. As you can see, not much space on top of the box, dont suppose it would be enough room to put the port on top of the box? Im talking a slot port all the way across the width of it.

Box pushed all the way back into the trunk.

Box pulled out to show an idea of how far the box will stick out for the pair of subs.. It prolly wont be quite that close to the rear of the trunk but im not sure yet.

Here is my rear deck from the inside of the trunk..
Old 09-22-2009, 06:59 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1741

By the way, just to clarify again. The new box for the pair of them will be the same size as the box pictured, only the new one will be alot deeper, thus the reason i showed pics of the box pulled out from the trunk about where it will be just to give an idea.

The two subs will be firing to the rear, and as you can tell there will not be any room for a port on the same side of the box, and also im sure you can tell there is not really an easy placement for the port in this trunk/box set up that im wanting to do. Anyone got any good ideas? If you can convince me, or give me good ideas on how to port through the deck or something and make it look nice when im done, i will do it. But im not cutting it up so it looks like shit. I want some type of clothe over an open holes if i cut it also. For example if i were to use the stock 6x9 holes i would have the speaker grills to cover it and look nice still.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement