Car Audio Classifieds! banner

Need Amp Rack Help ASAP!

1K views 26 replies 5 participants last post by  92K1500 
#1 ·
So I'm at a standstill, have tonight, part of tomorrow and about an hour saturday morning to get this install completed. I'm so boned.

The amp rack I started on wont work because I forgot about parts of it.

I need to mount my SAX 125.2, my SAZ-1000D and my batcap 800 in the Z between the strut bar and the little hump behind the seats.

I have 7" to work with on the base if I raise it up 1" off the floor to give room for the wires and a baby seat hold down to clear.

I am about to my brains end trying to figure out what to do here so all help is appreciated.

#2 ·
I want it in the area that the box is sitting in in the 3rd pic.

I have 46" across the front, 7" on the bottom front to back, and I cant remember what the back is. I THINK it is 26.5" but I have to go out in the garage and look what I wrote down.

The amps need a panel 11" wide to mount horizontally.

#5 ·
Battery box inside
7.25 x 3
Outside
7.75 x 3.5”

That is what I have down for the batt box.
And I have to go measure the bar to see how high I can go.

#7 ·
I can't do elaborate angles unless you can tell me what specific angle to set the saw at. I already tried it and couldn't get them to line up. Also I don't know how I'm going to secure it together. I don't have a nail gun and 1/2" is thinner than I thought so screws will split it.

I think fire + Z = win!

Also is the 14" at a 90" angle from the bottom of the hatch or is it at an angle back? It can be at 110* back towards the back of the car to follow the angle on the strut bar.

#10 ·
Also it has to split into 3 pieces with the batt box separate.

And just FYI the batcrap is 6.5" from the bottom to the terminals.

I will be using door hinges to hold it together, and it has to have curves cut in it to form fit the strut bar.

#12 ·
It is 39.5 across in the back from curve to curve, so 46 - 39.5 = 6.5 / 2 = 3.25" on each side take out by the curves.

And I would like to keep it short because I can't mount this down so I have to rely on its low center of gravity to hold it down.

#13 ·
Highest I can go it 13" straight up because of the 1" space under the box.

If I were to go higher it would hit the hatch lid.

#16 ·
Cut sheet?

And blade angles? I found a table saw buried in the corner of one of our sheds that I didn't know we had so that will make life easier. :D

#18 ·
It also has to be in 3 pieces to even get into the car. It is a very tight area.

I'm seriously thinking about just giving up.

#21 ·
I dont know what to do to get it done. I hate wood, and I have never been that good. I used a piece of that tin 90* edging for sheds for a fence to straighten up my sheet to 82" long and it still has some waves in it, but now I can use it on the table saw and get straighter cuts.

I'm just at a mental block and can't think of anything to do.

#22 ·
I dont know what to do to get it done. I hate wood, and I have never been that good. I used a piece of that tin 90* edging for sheds for a fence to straighten up my sheet to 82" long and it still has some waves in it, but now I can use it on the table saw and get straighter cuts.

I'm just at a mental block and can't think of anything to do.
Do what I do, wire your subs up backwards and rock out till the fire starts. If that don't work, take a break from it :)

#26 ·
Well I was going to use the outside panels for the amps, then the middle for the battery box. But I don't know how that will work out now that I thought about it.

I finally forced the old ass rusty table saw over to the 45* mark, it isn't perfect but a sander can fix that.

#27 ·
Ok, now that I had wenn's design for visual aid I think I got this down. I have decided to just scrap what I have cut up from my 1/2" ply and consider it a learning experience and cut my losses.

I'm going to make the amp face and the back panel out of the 1/2" and then make all the base stuff out of 3/4" MDF so I can glue/screw. The 1/2" ply will just fall apart, and will take way too long to just glue.

I cut out the amp face 12 x 46" and have it sanded down already, I just did some mathing and figured out to have a 7" base I need a 9.75" tall back panel to make a right triangle. And my angles will be 90, 54.3 and 35.7.

It doesn't say which angle goes in which corner though, so would someone care to tell me which one it is in? And do I need to set the blade to each respective angle or will it need to be different? I don't wanna waste any more wood. I figure I will just cut the angles on back and bottom piece and leave the amp plate straight to make it easier to put together instead of trying to do a miter joint or whatever like picture frames have. I'm fine with block corners on part of it. lol

Also having the 3/4" MDF base will put more weight at the bottom to help with the center of gravity.

Also what would look better, a good black paintjob on it or black carpet?

(I was mainly making this post so I don't forget that info because I'm about to pass out and I have a splitting headache.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.