Car Audio Classifieds!

Car Audio Classifieds! (http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/)
-   Enclosure Discussion & Design Construction Help (http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/enclosure-discussion-design-construction-help/)
-   -   Where to tune dilemma (http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/enclosure-discussion-design-construction-help/195922-where-tune-dilemma.html)

carshateme 07-16-2015 02:57 PM

Where to tune dilemma

Okay. I've been having a small issue with myself. Been going back n forth between going strictly spl or going sql. Decided on sql. So this is where the troubles come in. I want to be able to hit the lows. 28hz and up. Always liked the lows. But I also want to be loud as well. I'm leaning more towards 33hz. I listen to mostly trapstep, decaf, dubstep and techno.

Car is a 2009 pontaic g6. The fs of the car is apparently 44hz. Sound equipment going in is 2 12 sq hcd3s on a sq4500.

Any suggestions? I want loud, but be able to hit the lows and rattle some shit

kr-15 07-16-2015 03:21 PM

33 sounds good to me

Todd Dupler 07-16-2015 03:23 PM

33 will hit 28 no problem. Or tune high w more port area, then put in a smaller longer insert for daily tuning. My old trunk was 50 and 28.

doug118 07-16-2015 05:04 PM

One of my boxes is tuned to 35hz and plays down to 28 fine. 28 isn't extremely violent but it sure does kill anything 37hz+

lukeman269 07-16-2015 05:59 PM

Those subs don't dig super deep unless you have adequate box size. I had a box size of 3 cubic ft for just one tuned at 32 and it was great. Very well balanced and didn't sound one note wonderish either. I don't imagine you can do much more than 2-2.5 cubes per sub in that car. I would suggest doing a 30 hz tune if you want to have destructive lows. Those will still get very loud as they are hdc3's and you have a lot of power so no problem there either.

carshateme 07-16-2015 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukeman269 (Post 2568650)
Those subs don't dig super deep unless you have adequate box size. I had a box size of 3 cubic ft for just one tuned at 32 and it was great. Very well balanced and didn't sound one note wonderish either. I don't imagine you can do much more than 2-2.5 cubes per sub in that car. I would suggest doing a 30 hz tune if you want to have destructive lows. Those will still get very loud as they are hdc3's and you have a lot of power so no problem there either.

That's what I'm scared of. I had a box for my ethos. It was tuned to 35hz. It was destroying the lows. Peaking at 28hz. Only issue was it was not loud at all. That's what I'm scared of. Had another box built to 37hz. Loud as hell to the ear and meter. But could not get low at all. And you're sort of right. But if I move my batteries and amps to my back seat and build the entire box in the trunk...I have a total space of 3 cubes per sub

lukeman269 07-16-2015 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carshateme (Post 2568834)
That's what I'm scared of. I had a box for my ethos. It was tuned to 35hz. It was destroying the lows. Peaking at 28hz. Only issue was it was not loud at all. That's what I'm scared of. Had another box built to 37hz. Loud as hell to the ear and meter. But could not get low at all. And you're sort of right. But if I move my batteries and amps to my back seat and build the entire box in the trunk...I have a total space of 3 cubes per sub

What was the size difference on each box?

Also, do you have 6 cubes total before or after sub and port displacement?

tymoto21 07-16-2015 10:46 PM

Tune higher if space is a issue
Raising your tuning a couple hz could be the difference in like .25-.5cf depending on port size

carshateme 07-17-2015 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukeman269 (Post 2568866)
What was the size difference on each box?

Also, do you have 6 cubes total before or after sub and port displacement?

There really wasn't any. One was about 4 inches deeper and 1 inch wider. That was the one that was playing really low, but not loud.

I do believe it's before. But for the new subs. I'm thinking about going either 4.5cubes total after displacement. Or 5cubes. 5 cubes would be all the way to the back of my trunk. So...I would have to say it's before.

Gonna be putting the batterys and amps where my bottom back seat goes, then creating a mini bench that'll allow me to screw it down, install fans on the side of the bench, to allow air flow to the amps, and put cushions on the top of the bench, allow me to still have my back seats.

lukeman269 07-17-2015 01:30 AM

Ohh nice! That gives you every bit of room for a box. If you have 4.5 to 5 cubes after displacement, that would be perfect. Tune it at 33 like you had planned and you should get the sound you want. Loud and low!