I thought I would share a little project of mine I just finished. Don't be afraid to try something different when it comes to wood. I will post my sketchup file in this post if anyone is interested in building a similar box.
My only piece of advice is use 12+ ply EXTRA THICKNESS veneer with fir core (not MDF core). Just my .02
I did not match the grain, and I didnt see the veneer imperfections until the stain was applied. But overall it turned out awesome for a non carpenter such as myself
- Single 12" Vented Box Design
- 3/4" 12 ply Red Oak Extra Thick Veneer
- Double Baffle (1.5")
- ~ 3.25 Cubes after displacement
- 30 Hz tuning
- 15 in^2 Port Area Per Cubic Foot
- 15 x 3 x 31" Port
- 3/8" Routed edges
- Minwax Antique Oak Stain (2 coats)
- Premium Polyurethane (used on basketball courts etc. Got it from work) 4 coats
- About 4-5 hours of sanding before the stain and between coats.
- Locking T-nuts used with lock washers for the sub (not pictured)
- Assembled with only 4 screws, extreme duty liquid nails was used for the construction.
- Inside was glassed with resin after the pics were taken
- 8 AWG wire was used with bolt terminals
And here are the results:
For size comparison, this is a memphis 15 on top of it.
I liked it. Sounds excellent, and it is every bit as strong as Birch ply.
This may work very well in many trunks. It is extremely loud for a single 12"!!
Comments welcome. As I stated I am NOT A CARPENTER by far
Click HERE for my Google Sketchup File
Click HERE for my PDF How To file to build this box! Free box design
Thanks for looking guys
|2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS| Custom 200 Amp H/O Alternator | Flek 0 Guage Big 3 and Wiring | AudioQue Aq4x90| Type R 6x9 | Rockford 6.5 Comps | Pioneer AVH P-4300DVD | *Sub being replaced*