Nervous as HELL! - Car Audio Classifieds!
Car Audio Classifieds!  

Go Back   Car Audio Classifieds! > The OT™ > General Automotive Chat

General Automotive Chat Discuss the latest auto news, ehancements that you would like to make to your vehicle or if something is broken, need advice on geting it fixed or anything about automobiles in general.

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2009, 01:53 AM
3/17/2011 RIP

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss22939
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Default Nervous as HELL!

Well, I am finally calmed back down now so I'm going to post about it for my followers.

As a few of you know I have been learning to drive a semi, and just a few mins ago (took like 30) but the trailer mechanic finished up his trailer and asked if I wanted to pull it out and find the next one, so me being the bored and always willing to learn person I am hopped on it and parked the first trailer (getting pretty good at pulling trailers already)found the next one and sat for a second to let the air build back up in the yard truck (it leaks BAD, like if you have your foot on the brakes for about 5 seconds the light comes on saying low air.) then gave my first go at backing up.

BUT, my first go at backing up was into the shop. So I had to make a U turn from where I was parked, then try to back into the bay door (about 4 feet wider than the trailer)

Well, turns out backing up is WAY harder than it looks, especially when you have the trailer mechanic watching you and a driver (backs into docks for a living) sitting right in front of you watching you **** up and probably thinking to himself, "They have these dumbasses working on our trucks and trailers? Oh shit I am screwed." But I only had to pull up about 3 or 4 times before I got it most of the way into the shop without hitting anything. YAY! But I stopped to let the air build back up and got the mechanic to come over to the truck (He was cleaning not even watching anymore) so he could teach me some and show me where I was ****ing up, so we ended up pulling out, backing back in, pulling back out and backing back in with him riding on the step steering so I could get driver seat mirror experience.

Anyways, I did way better than I thought I would and I didn't crush or kill anyone/anything.

Front Stage: Rainbow SLC 265.25NG .. Amp: SAX-100.4
Sub: 2x RL-I 10s @33hz ................. Amp: SAZ-1000D

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2009, 02:04 AM
Loyal Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1427
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

congrats!

those things are huge as #@[email protected]!$,

email me at

to get prices on our cables! Prices will not be posted online

Old 07-19-2009, 02:08 AM
*Project 160db @44-47hz*

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1684
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Yeah, backing up a trailer is hard in any kind of vehicle. I've never done it in a semi but I've done it with a LMTV with a 60k on a trailer onto a barge. It's always difficult the first couple of times but once you remember that the trailer goes the opposite way you turn then it becomes easier. Good job though man, glad everyone came out of it safe and unharmed!

No advertising images in sig

Old 07-19-2009, 02:18 AM
3/17/2011 RIP

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss22939

Is this an LMTV?

And did it have a regular tongue or was it a 5th wheel style?

And I had a loaded 53 footer that I was moving.

I've pulled like those little garden trailers with a 4 wheeler and I was pretty dang good at backing those up because you can just turn around and see what it is doing. When you HAVE to use your mirrors or hang out the window it gets 200X harder. Then you only get 1 mirror at a time unless you are backing straight up. (I had to back up at an angle and turn it into the shop before I could pull forward and straighten out.)

Seeing how close I was to getting it the first time (in the wrong door) I'm sure after backing 10-20 of them I wouldn't be so nervous and would be decent to ok at backing them in. lol

Yeah the whole opposite thing was screwing me, and the HUGE gearbox the steering has. I'm used to the Z where like a 1/4 turn is all you need unless you are turning in town. When I was getting farther into the shop I was forgetting everything and kinda freaked out so I had to stop. I just didn't want to plow everyones toolboxes into the wall like one of the mechanics did before.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:21 AM
3/17/2011 RIP

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss22939

This is almost exactly what we use for a yard truck. Ours is just a little bit different, and ours is in way worse condition.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:38 AM
*Project 160db @44-47hz*

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1684

This is an LMTV.

It's not as big as the trailer you were using but it's as big as I've ever driven. I could have driven the HETT(if I stole it!), Heavy Equipment Truck Transport, but you have to get certified(get your CDL) and there's no amount of begging to drive one without it, trust me, I know!!! It's the military equivalent to an 18 wheeler.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:48 AM
3/17/2011 RIP

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss22939

Yeah what I am doing here is basically free training to get my CDL if I ever decide I want to go that route. You can never have too much free training. If shit hits the fan I could be a driver if all else fails.

And those look fun to drive.

You are supposed to have a CDL to drive a semi but my boss told me to practice with our stuff so I have to listen to him and do the trailer mechanics job and leave the parts room empty.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:49 AM
*Project 160db @44-47hz*

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1684

This is the best pic I can find of the hitch on the LMTV. It's the same as on the HMMWV, that's why I have a pic of it to show.

It's the thing in the middle. The loops on each side of it are used for tie down's for transport or for air assault missions(using a helicopter for transport)

Old 07-19-2009, 02:51 AM
3/17/2011 RIP

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss22939

Oh, I just found out I backed in a trailer full of burritos. Anyone hungry? lol

Old 07-19-2009, 02:52 AM
3/17/2011 RIP

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss22939

That is an interesting looking hitch. It seems like it wouldn't want to let the trailer pivot being on an angle like that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement