Modify stock air suspension? - Car Audio Classifieds!
Car Audio Classifieds!  

Go Back   Car Audio Classifieds! > The OT™ > General Automotive Chat

General Automotive Chat Discuss the latest auto news, ehancements that you would like to make to your vehicle or if something is broken, need advice on geting it fixed or anything about automobiles in general.

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2009, 12:36 AM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1741
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Default Modify stock air suspension?

I have a 93 Lincoln Continental with the stock air suspension in it. I was wondering if there was a way to modify it to ride at a certain height? I think if you just turn it off it will go down way too low and will ride like total shit over any little bump, but im not sure. I havent actually drove teh car yet, ive been working on it and just got it running. I googled it but only found a couple people say "it can be done" or whatever the hell and i cant find anything else. Maybe im using the wrong search terms cuz i dono what to call it other than modifying the air suspension. Anyone got any ideas? Just curious as to how hard and expension it would be to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2009, 12:47 AM
SUPER FAST SHIPPING

Activity Longevity
1/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss31245
Thanked 2,472 Times in 1,730 Posts
Feedback Score: 185 reviews

You can get a line kit for aftermarket air-assist shocks..

Then plumb a line to each airbag. (don't tie them together or your car will handle like a waterbed around corners)

You will be able to match ride height and or even give the car a raked look if you want to.

usually, this over-ride is chosen by people whos compressor goes out and just need to get their car off the ground.
I do box designs for $35 paid before hand.
Most designs are done within 2 days.

V this picture is a link... click it V

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:32 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1741

Can you possibly link me to something like that? I searched but not sure if what i found is right. Not 100% what i am looking for really. And how would it work? I mean how would i adjust the ride height? And will it ride decent when the air shocks/bags whatever are lowered down a bit? I really like the look of this car when lowered. Would be nice to just have it be able to go back to stock on high way or whatever, and lower it when i wanted.

Also, any clue on if i can let the air out manually from the shocks? This car only has one switch in the trunk, on/off for the whole thing i guess. My buddies newer lincoln town car i think it is, has one switch on each side of the trunk, not sure how it works or whatever tho.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:14 AM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

You could put a valve on each line to each shock and when you park just open the valves and the car would let the air out of them and set down, and just flip the switch when you leave and it will air back up like factory. This would be a setup for just parking it low. 3'8 valves are about 25 bucks a piece and then some brass fittings and you would be set.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:18 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1741

Thats kinda spendy just for some valves. I want to make it so i can drive it kind of low. I dont mean low as hell so its scaping the ground. But like if i just want to cruise around or whatever around town and have it lower that'd be pretty cool.

Also, dono if anyone likes the wire wheels, or spoke rims whatever you wana call them. But i took one wheel off, set one by the car and it looked bad ass IMO. Im thinking of getting some after a while.

Do you know for sure if you just do the valve thing taht the air would just come out? I mean it doesnt have sometihng to do with the air shock itself that makes it let air out? I just want to make sure.

Also, i think i could let all the air out, turn it on and let it raise to wherever i wanted and then just turn the switch back off.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:01 AM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I'm guessing at the price on valves, you may find them cheaper, and yes the valve will be connected to the line that fills your airshock and then you can open the valve and pressure will bleed out of the bag. So you have a on of switch for the compressor, if you do then yea you could use valves to dump the air and then let your compressor run until its at the level you want and turn it off.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:06 AM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1741

Exactly where would this valves go in the lines? I mean like under the hood? Right after the compressor? I have no idea. I would assume under the hood but i dono. Yes it has an on/off switch for the air ride suspension in the trunk.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:35 AM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1193
Feedback Score: 36 reviews

You could ditch the air ride altogether since WHEN one of those struts goes bad, they are around $700 each for the front & $350 each for the rear. The chassis is basically a Ford Taurus. I had a Continental that had bad struts & when I priced them I decided the car wasn't worth the money. I changed the entire suspension over to coil springs. Then you could just use lowering springs or cut them or whatever to lower it. I also got rid of the antilock brakes but that's a whole other story.

In fact, the ABS & air ride are tied together now that I recall. We ended up having to change the suspension because of the brake conversion since it wouldn't air back up. But the struts were bad anyway. So maybe this isn't the route you need to take lol

Or you could limit the travel of the ride limiter switches so they shut the compressor off earlier. There's a limiter switch at each wheel. Same principal as with semi trucks.

Last edited by ghostmechanic; 09-05-2009 at 12:38 AM.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:46 AM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1741

Will look into the limiter switch things.

I know alot of the parts are the same off the taurus, actually i read the taurus struts will bolt right up to my car. And i bought a 92 taurus to use the motor to replace mine, has newer struts on it too so im keeping those just in case, or when my air bags go bad.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:40 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1741

So back to that thing about adding some valves on it.. Where exactly would those go now? I want to take a look at it and see how it would be done but i actually really dont know where and how that would work. I assume it is NOT the 4 air lines coming from the compressor.. I really want to make it so i can drop it whenever i want to. Or i atleast want to try dropping it completely to see how low it will go and how it loooks like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement