advanced electrical question on a/c electrical wire fatigue - Car Audio Classifieds!
Car Audio Classifieds!  

Go Back   Car Audio Classifieds! > Car Audio Help & Discussion > General Car Audio Discussion & Questions

General Car Audio Discussion & Questions All general car audio discussion goes here. Need help installing speakers, headunits, amps or electrical? Having problems with equipment? Have questions about a product, post here.

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 09:55 PM
newbie forever

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1160
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Default advanced electrical question on a/c electrical wire fatigue

as it is known by i hope nearly everyone on this forum, wattage sent to your speakers is in the form of a/c(alternating current). now unlike d/c(direct current) power over distance for d/c results in loose of power and the equipment intended purpose efficiency is decreased. now with a/c its a little more demanding. if for example you place a 7amp saw on a 25ft 16gauge extension cord chances are the saw and cord is going to be fine. but now take that very same saw and place it on 300ft of 16gauge extension cord and likely the cord is going to burn up and possibly the saw.

now picture your speaker as being a saw with duel electric hook ups(example for duel voice coil). hooking it up in parallel has an effect of amperage required to propel the speaker. series requires current over distance. now that being said say i hook up 3 speakers all duel voice coil parallel onto them selves and then series line the speakers. all speakers requiring 1000watts. by theory wouldnt that show a 3000watt electrical fatigue on the voice coil wires since like with the extension cord its then using the coils to complete the circuit making it a longer distance of wire used at an alternating current to compete the circuit?

Last edited by slowpoke; 12-01-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2011, 09:58 PM
SPL Retard

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12327
Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,641 Posts
Feedback Score: 67 reviews

Umm... say what now?

First, you can't series 3 speakers.

Second (and more importantly)... zip it. Wire that shit up and get to wangin.

Quote:
Welcome to the world of SPL.

Where nothing makes any fucking sense.
Quote:
Music and movies are art. Audio is a science.
- Floyd E. Toole
Old 12-01-2011, 10:08 PM
newbie forever

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1160

amp-___-speaker speaker+___-speaker speaker+___-speaker speaker+___+amp

if i cant do that then how is it i can do that. i have done it. many before me and many after me have and will do that.

Last edited by slowpoke; 12-01-2011 at 10:11 PM.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:17 PM
SPL Retard

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12327
Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,641 Posts
Feedback Score: 67 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
amp-___-speaker speaker+___-speaker speaker+___-speaker speaker+___+amp

if i cant do that then how is it i can do that. i have done it. many before me and many after me have and will do that.
Ok. Lol. Let me rephrase... I have never seriesed 3 speakers Probably because I have never had the need to.

I guess that works. Good luck. Maybe someone who isn't an idiot will respond.

Quote:
Welcome to the world of SPL.

Where nothing makes any fucking sense.
Quote:
Music and movies are art. Audio is a science.
- Floyd E. Toole
Old 12-01-2011, 10:23 PM
admin my ass

Activity Longevity
1/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss31256
Thanked 2,474 Times in 1,732 Posts
Feedback Score: 185 reviews

The analogies you are trying to compare are not comparable.

The series load of the three equates a higher resistance... which "asks for" less power from the amplifier.

The difference in your analogies is that with the saw and cord, the load stayed the same but the distance was increased which is why the cord could not convey the energy because the cord itself became a load.

Each length of wire has a resistance but if the wire can convey the energy then the resistance is zero which means 100% conductivity.[for the distance]

So, anyway...
The series coils present a higher resistance which is less of a load to the amplifier.. and if your wire is sufficient to convey the energy, it is not part of the load.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:24 PM
Me > Lord Van

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2831
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I'm not exactly sure what point you are trying to make here because your sentence structure and clarity is absolutely terrible, but I'll try and make sense of it.

Yes, when you series a voice coil (and in your case multiple subs) you are turning the windings into one giant strand of copper that will see the entire amperage load.

I think the point being made here is that wiring your subs in series rather than parallel can reduce power handling since the wattage is not being split between separate windings, rather it is going through one longer (and thus has lower amperage capacity) winding.

But what must also be taken into consideration is that when you wire a sub in series you also change the T/S parameters of the sub. Wiring a subs coils in series will not necessarily make the sub handle less power.

10 inches of terror

One DD 9510F + one kicker zx2500=150+ db

One Sundown SA-8 + 2 mb quart 2000's = 150+ db
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-2006, 2007, 2009, and 2010 MECA World Champion
-2008 Bassrace 130-139.9 National Champion
The Following User Says Thank You to tommyk90 For This Useful Post:
terra (12-01-2011)
Old 12-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Me > Lord Van

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2831
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsonic View Post
The analogies you are trying to compare are not comparable.

The series load of the three equates a higher resistance... which "asks for" less power from the amplifier.

The difference in your analogies is that with the saw and cord, the load stayed the same but the distance was increased which is why the cord could not convey the energy because the cord itself became a load.

Each length of wire has a resistance but if the wire can convey the energy then the resistance is zero which means 100% conductivity.[for the distance]

So, anyway...
The series coils present a higher resistance which is less of a load to the amplifier.. and if your wire is sufficient to convey the energy, it is not part of the load.
To play devils advocate here, he could say that two different impedance subs are used which will equal the same final load, but one is wired in series and the other is wired in parallel.

In which case the length will make a difference, but there's still other variables involved in that one. Coil WW, winding diameter, winding material, etc.

Frankly I don't know what the point of this thread was, I was just trying to clarify what the OP was saying. Not sure if it was worth the effort.

10 inches of terror

One DD 9510F + one kicker zx2500=150+ db

One Sundown SA-8 + 2 mb quart 2000's = 150+ db
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-2006, 2007, 2009, and 2010 MECA World Champion
-2008 Bassrace 130-139.9 National Champion

Last edited by tommyk90; 12-01-2011 at 10:28 PM.
mega fatty

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss6008
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

that cord would be a much larger load for being 300ft being a regular extention cord rather than say 50ft. so to get the power you need to run the saw it will have to work that much harder.

a voice coil, is an inductor so its not the same as a 300ft run of wire. it would only experience loose through the speaker wire, and into the coil, after that it will have impedance gain making you loose power

do not worry about it for your speakers
newbie forever

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1160

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyk90 View Post
I'm not exactly sure what point you are trying to make here because your sentence structure and clarity is absolutely terrible, but I'll try and make sense of it.

Yes, when you series a voice coil (and in your case multiple subs) you are turning the windings into one giant strand of copper that will see the entire amperage load.

I think the point being made here is that wiring your subs in series rather than parallel can reduce power handling since the wattage is not being split between separate windings, rather it is going through one longer (and thus has lower amperage capacity) winding.

But what must also be taken into consideration is that when you wire a sub in series you also change the T/S parameters of the sub. Wiring a subs coils in series will not necessarily make the sub handle less power.

i think you do see what im attempting to explain/ask. yes im concerned about the coils then acting like a longer piece of wire and still handling the higher wattage wandering if that can cause failure of the coil/coils
Old 12-01-2011, 10:31 PM
newbie forever

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1160

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
i think you do see what im attempting to explain/ask. yes im concerned about the coils then acting like a longer piece of wire and still handling the higher wattage wandering if that can cause failure of the coil/coils

and at that the only reason i ask is the new hdc3 that i just got has a coil wire strand half the diameter as my hdc3 that i already had. now since these are in single chamber enclosures im not to concerned with the speakers effecting each other but more so how will the electrical load see this being 2 very different coils(yet the same ohms) if then having to work together in a series circuit.

also i am partially dyslexic which makes it difficult at times to explain what im actually thinking. sorry ill attempt to word things better in the future.

Last edited by slowpoke; 12-01-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement