Car Audio Classifieds! banner

2 or 1 amp

267 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  joemon 
#1 · (Edited)
I know this had to have been discussed b4 but must be buried in the forums but...

Is it more efficient and cheaper to get 2 smaller amps or 1 big amp?

I'm looking to get something in the 3k range at 1ohm (two d1 per amp)
Or if I get 2 amps ill have it be in the 1.5k range at 2ohm or .5ohm (one d1 per amp)

I was looking to get a hifonics bxi2608d amp for the big amp or something similar

Or looking at getting 2 mb quarts 1500d to match my 4ch amp (or something similar)

Would it be worth it to find 2 amps to power two 12s or be better to look for 1 big amp to do the job.

And what smaller amp does about 1500watts @2ohms or .5ohms?

I'm looking at more the price comparing to "best bang for buck" for spl application

Thanx for your guys input guys just looking at all my options b4 jumping into something

See less See more
#2 ·
Or looking at getting 2 mb quarts 1500d to match my 4ch amp (or something similar)
2 audiopipe 1500D would be my second cheap opinion.
thats what i would do, at 1/2 ohm! your impedence rise will be alot less when you split the impedence to two amps instead of a single amp.

#5 ·
Generally, the bigger you go, the cheaper the power gets. Kinda like buying in bulk. Lol. Prices kinda stagnate around the 3-4k range though so you may be better off with one larger amp; especially for your coil config. Less hassle too.

#7 ·
Good input guys
I didn't think about the strain it has on the electrical with more amps.

Just trying to get all the research I can b4 I jump in lol.

In my mind to power my pair of dc lvl4 d1 12s was
1 amp at 3k@1ohm (1amp powering both)
2 amps at 1.5k@.5or2ohm (1sub per amp)
4 amps at 700@1ohms (each amp on each coil)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.