Electrical Requirements for 3.0k to 7.5k watts? - Car Audio Classifieds!
Car Audio Classifieds!  

Go Back   Car Audio Classifieds! > Car Audio Help & Discussion > General Car Audio Discussion & Questions

General Car Audio Discussion & Questions All general car audio discussion goes here. Need help installing speakers, headunits, amps or electrical? Having problems with equipment? Have questions about a product, post here.


Notices

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-05-2012, 01:43 AM
Jdubs04ss's Avatar
Elite Member
 
Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1561
Location: Rockville, MD
Age: 31
Thanks: 7
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
iTrader: (9)
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Default Electrical Requirements for 3.0k to 7.5k watts?

I have an 04 Impala SS 3.8L that came with the 9c1 125amp alternator that does 65-70amps at idle.

My Current Electrical System Consists of;
PowerBastards 240amp Alt
Optima G34/78 Yellowtop (55ah)
ZZP Stg.1 Volt Booster (+0.6v)
Big 6 (Big 3xDouble runs)
One 18ft Monster 1/0 +Pos
2 Stinger SPV70 (70ah) batteries in trunk

I was able to run my DD M3a (Gain 75%/No Bassboost) @ 1ohm crankin out 3000wrms to 2 15" Memphis CM Mojo and would hold 14.4v-14.9v while crusin at any speed. Full tilt @ Idle would hold 14.1v to 13.6v for about a full minute but after about 90sec on some crucial decaf, it would dip sometimes as low as 12.5v

I then sold 1 SPV70 and was able to run the M3a @2ohm and was similar to 2 batteries at 1ohm but would hold it longer before it dips into the 12's.

Well now I am looking to part ways with my baby but only in search of her older brother M4a which leads me to my question..Obviously what I have right now won't cut it, but If I was able to hold 3k pretty good with 2 Stinger SPV70 (70ah) batteries...tell me what you think about what is going to be my new setup..

Beefin up for the M4a;
DC Power 270xp/320xp alternator
2nd 1/0 + Run (Main to Secondary Batteries)
1st 1/0 - Run (Main to Secondary batteries)
TWO (2) XS Power XP3000 (120ah ea/240ah total)

So do you think a DC Power 270xp or 320xp alternator, 2 XS Power XP3000(120ah) batteries, and 2 extra runs from main to secondary batteries be sufficent enough for an M4a?

Thanks

Sent from my DROID 4 using Tapatalk
__________________
2004 Impala SS
240amp Alt,XP3000s,BIG 3,1/0,Alpha Damp
Pioneer AVIC-X940BT
Digital Designs M3a(3 of them) & SAZ-2500d
18" Crossfire XS V.2 / 15" DC XL m2 D2
Need DC 270xp,320xp or bigger alt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 03-05-2012, 01:50 AM
TaylorFade's Avatar
SPL Retard
 
Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12327
Location: Louisiana
Thanks: 265
Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,641 Posts
iTrader: (67)
Feedback Score: 67 reviews
Default

That's probably right on the edge, but I think you'll be ok. The only way to really know is to get it all in and start beating on it while monitoring voltage.

If you're springing for a new alt anyway, can you afford to keep the one you have and get a dual bracket for the DC? That would be sweet.
__________________
4x world champ
4x world record holder

Quote:
Welcome to the world of SPL.

Where nothing makes any fucking sense.
Quote:
Music and movies are art. Audio is a science.
- Floyd E. Toole
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to TaylorFade For This Useful Post:
SacTownBully84 (03-05-2012)
  #3  
Old 03-05-2012, 09:08 AM
2003f150's Avatar
Digital Designs FTW!
 
Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1227
Location: Biloxi MS
Age: 37
Thanks: 126
Thanked 61 Times in 56 Posts
iTrader: (9)
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdubs04ss View Post
I have an 04 Impala SS 3.8L that came with the 9c1 125amp alternator that does 65-70amps at idle.

My Current Electrical System Consists of;
PowerBastards 240amp Alt
Optima G34/78 Yellowtop (55ah)
ZZP Stg.1 Volt Booster (+0.6v)
Big 6 (Big 3xDouble runs)
One 18ft Monster 1/0 +Pos
2 Stinger SPV70 (70ah) batteries in trunk

I was able to run my DD M3a (Gain 75%/No Bassboost) @ 1ohm crankin out 3000wrms to 2 15" Memphis CM Mojo and would hold 14.4v-14.9v while crusin at any speed. Full tilt @ Idle would hold 14.1v to 13.6v for about a full minute but after about 90sec on some crucial decaf, it would dip sometimes as low as 12.5v

I then sold 1 SPV70 and was able to run the M3a @2ohm and was similar to 2 batteries at 1ohm but would hold it longer before it dips into the 12's.

Well now I am looking to part ways with my baby but only in search of her older brother M4a which leads me to my question..Obviously what I have right now won't cut it, but If I was able to hold 3k pretty good with 2 Stinger SPV70 (70ah) batteries...tell me what you think about what is going to be my new setup..

Beefin up for the M4a;
DC Power 270xp/320xp alternator
2nd 1/0 + Run (Main to Secondary Batteries)
1st 1/0 - Run (Main to Secondary batteries)
TWO (2) XS Power XP3000 (120ah ea/240ah total)

So do you think a DC Power 270xp or 320xp alternator, 2 XS Power XP3000(120ah) batteries, and 2 extra runs from main to secondary batteries be sufficent enough for an M4a?

Thanks

Sent from my DROID 4 using Tapatalk

What ohm you running the m4a at?? Example I have a buddy that ran a m4a @ .5 ohm with 5 deka 9a31's and stock alt in a pt crusier it would go down into the 11s pretty quick. I would say 4 good xs batts or similiar if you wanna maintain decent voltage and yes a alt helps too. M4a is a little over 2 m3's for reference power wise at full capacity.
__________________
4 9918SC,4 DD M4 @ .25 ohm each 6 NSB 90's,2 NSB130's SINGER 350A ALT!!Flat wall....Scores TBD USACI and Db Drag
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 03-09-2012, 11:48 PM
Jdubs04ss's Avatar
Elite Member
 
Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1561
Location: Rockville, MD
Age: 31
Thanks: 7
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
iTrader: (9)
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorfade View Post
That's probably right on the edge, but I think you'll be ok. The only way to really know is to get it all in and start beating on it while monitoring voltage.

If you're springing for a new alt anyway, can you afford to keep the one you have and get a dual bracket for the DC? That would be sweet.

I would love to keep mine and run a dual alt system but I think my car is one of the most difficult cars to throw a dual alt kit in because I would have to relocate my ignition coil packs elsewhere just to do so..I've heard of one person do it but for the amount of work he said it really isn't worth it lol




Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003f150 View Post
What ohm you running the m4a at?? Example I have a buddy that ran a m4a @ .5 ohm with 5 deka 9a31's and stock alt in a pt crusier it would go down into the 11s pretty quick. I would say 4 good xs batts or similiar if you wanna maintain decent voltage and yes a alt helps too. M4a is a little over 2 m3's for reference power wise at full capacity.
Id most likely be running it at 1ohm so since its at 1ohm opposed to your buddies .5ohm it will draw a lot less amps so I might have 3 less batteries but the 2 batts I would have are 120ah XS Power batts each and then either a 240,270 or 320amp alternator and I'm not plannin on crankin it either..I just want an m4a so I can run 4500-5000watts out of it and have it be clean opposed to runnin an m3a tapped out sendin dirty power..so in essence I guess te better question would be to run 4500watts would the big h.o alt plus 240ah worth of XS power batteries


Sent from my DROID 4 using Tapatalk
__________________
2004 Impala SS
240amp Alt,XP3000s,BIG 3,1/0,Alpha Damp
Pioneer AVIC-X940BT
Digital Designs M3a(3 of them) & SAZ-2500d
18" Crossfire XS V.2 / 15" DC XL m2 D2
Need DC 270xp,320xp or bigger alt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 03-10-2012, 12:14 PM
CACO Member
 
Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss181
Location: louisiana
Thanks: 9
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
iTrader: (8)
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Default

I have a 04 impala as well. I have a 240amp irragi, i think its 120 at idle. I run a d9 at .5 daily, 2 d3100s and i have no problems as long as car is moving. Once im at idle full tilt it will drop to 12.5 raise rpms and its fine again, also have the zzp voltage booster stage 2. I would get the alt with the most at idle. Two of the xp 3000 sound be plenty if your going to run at 1ohm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Car Audio Classifieds! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Level of Car Audio Knowledge
What's your level of car audio?

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
max watts on stock electrical? milly General Car Audio Discussion & Questions 9 10-08-2011 05:53 PM
Electrical upgrades for 400 watts rms? sobe3yourself General Car Audio Discussion & Questions 10 02-16-2011 06:22 PM
Electrical for 4700 watts? Mgcauctions09 General Car Audio Discussion & Questions 9 04-07-2010 06:25 PM
What electrical will i need for 2400 watts? westman995 General Car Audio Discussion & Questions 20 12-29-2009 03:04 PM
What electrical for 8500 watts rms? 87linkin General Car Audio Discussion & Questions 32 09-20-2009 08:02 PM

» Amps
A/d/s/
Advent
Alphasonik
Alpine
American Bass
ARC Audio
Atomic
Audio Art
Audio Gods
Audiobahn
Audiocontrol
Audiopipe
Audison
Aura
Autotek
Avionixx
Bazooka
Beyma
Blaupunkt
Boss
Boston Acoustics
Bravox
Cadence
Cascade (CAE)
CDT Audio
Cerwin Vega
Clarion
Clif Designs
Concept
Coustic
Critical Mass
Crossfire
Crunch
DB Drive
DC Audio
DC Power
DEI
Denon
Diabolo
Diamond
Digital Designs
Directed
DLS
Dual
DYnamat
Dynaudio
Earthquake
Eclipse
Elemental Designs
ESX
Eton
Farenheit
Fi Car Audio
Fix My Speaker
Focal
Fusion
Genesis
Ground Zero
Hafler
Helix
Hertz
Hifonics
Hushmat
Image Dynamics
Infinity
Interfire
JBL
Jensen
JL Audio
JVC
Kenwood
Kicker
Knu Konceptz
Kole Audio
Kove Audio
Lanzar
Lightning Audio
Linear Power
MA Audio
Magnat
Marantz
Massive Audio
MB Quart
McIntosh
Memphis
Metra
MMATS
Mobile Authority
Morel
MTX
Nakamichi
Niche Audio
O2 Audio
Ohio Generator
Optima
Orion
Oxygen Audio
OZ Audio
PG Audio
Phase Linear
Phoenix Gold
Pioneer
Polk
Power Acoustik
Powerbass
Powermaster
Precision Power
Profile
Pyle
Pyramid
RadioShack
Rainbow
Rampage
RE AUdio
Rockford Fosgate
Scanspeak
Scosche
Seas
Sony
soundstream
Sparkomatic
SPL Dynamics
Stinger
Sundown Audio
Swiss Audio
Targa
TC Sounds
TREO Engineering
TRU
Tsunami
Ultimate
US Acoustics
US Amps
Velodyne
Vifa
Viper
Visonik
Xtant
Zapco
Zed Audio
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Links
Amp Guts
amplifier, amp guts, ampguts, car audio classifieds, speakers and subs for sale with listings of 12 volt sound systems. Security systems for sale for aftermarket car audio equipment with amplifier and amps for sale
Car Audio Forum
car audio forum, moble audio, car stereo, wholesale car audio, 12 volt, with, amplifier, amp, subwoofer, sound quality, buy car audio, and sell automotive stereo systems for cars
Car Audio Sound Quality Forum
Sound QUality science based car audio forum, amplifier, subs and speaker design, fabrication help, sound systems forum, aftermarket car audio website for sound quality.
Car Stereo Forum
DIYMA car audio stereo forum for 12 volt car audio subwoofer and amplifier systems that have sound quality with wholesale car audio products.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.