Car Audio Classifieds! banner

how do you hook up a second amp for mids an highs?

2K views 88 replies 25 participants last post by  Mr.G6 
#1 · (Edited)
second amp for door speakers only putting out bass

guy on youtube told me since my sub amp had a in and out for rca i could hook it up like that but when i hooked it all up my mids an highs where just producing bass.. if i got a rca splitter an hooked it up behind the deck running a second line of rcas to the back would that work? an would it distort the sq?

#2 ·
Splitters would work as long it's not specifically a pre out for subwoofer...because any settings the head unit would have for that rca would affect all your rca's, or so I would presume.

If you have only have one rca preout then likely it's not only for subwoofer and you'd be good.

#3 ·
Does ur deck have pre outs for the front and rear and subwoofer if it does use the front or rear , don't use the one on sub amp lol

#6 ·
well then there ya go
thats going to be FRONT AND REAR/SUBWOOFER

:BangHead: PLZ read the sticky threads and the how to's

#7 ·
2? Or 2 sets?

If it has 1 set, go from radio to mids/highs amps, out to next mid/highs amp, out to sub amp.

If it has 2 sets, go from front set on back of radio to mids/highs amp and out to next mids/highs amp. Go from sub set out to sub amp.

#9 ·
you make the MOST easiest things soooooo complicated
you have a ultra cheap headunit with 1 set of preouts

buy another deck for 100bux

#26 ·
I think it would be smartest to pickup a cheap decent equalizer. You will thank yourself later. If you are worried that you don't have a place to mount it than thats a whole different thread. It's worth the $50 or so and it will look awesome, it's also a line-driver and it will add a lot of personal adjustability that you just can't get out of a $80-$100 radio. Oh, and it's cheaper

#27 ·
except it boosts the rca singal to 7v and almost no amp can take that much input before it shuts down
you need to get a dmm and tie into the rca outputs and actually see where you get 4v output and mark that spot on the eq with a white dot or something..
DO NOT go cranking everything to the right

#39 ·
i installed my first system myself about 6 months ago so this is all new to me.. i dont have people i can call up or show me how to do this so i have to ask questions an learn as i go.. again i do appreciate the people who where being patient an trying to help im going to look into that eq

#41 ·
your right there is no need to feel "bad"
but i have clearly stated 99.9% of the questions you have are on a sticky thread on this forum..and could be answerd MUCH faster
thats why they have the "how to" threads and such
much more detailed info etc etc

#52 · (Edited)
Goodluck man :thumbsup: IMO (in my opinion) you are cutting corners by using a Y-splitter this way. I strongly recommend running just about ANY equalizer with more than one preout. I might even have some Legacy and Lanzar EQs laying around brand new at my brothers house. We use to sell them at the fleamarket bitd (back in the day)... I'm not sure how many outputs they have but my brother use to run one in his old Civic. I know you are new to this and probably intimidated by all the nobs on the EQ and/or don't want to fork up $50 for one BUT... You came to us for help and those of us who ARE trying to help you recommend either a new head unit or EQ. Please don't be that guy that comes to the forums to start threads asking for help and than does the opposite of what everyone advises you to do.

You will thank us and yourself for going about this install the professional way. Honestly, you don't even have to use your EQ once it's hooked up. You can keep all of your signals flat until you feel brave enough to start tuning your sound. You will have loads of fun playing with it and you will have that satisfaction of doing a legit professional install with your own hands.

Same thing with a different head unit if you choose to run one... just keep everything set flat to start out with. Just please don't insist on doing a lousy install. If you don't have $50 for an EQ, I will ship you a cheap Lanzar or Legacy one for free if I can find them and if you can cover the $5 flatrate shipping

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.