Really Strange Feedback - Car Audio Classifieds!
Car Audio Classifieds!  

Go Back   Car Audio Classifieds! > Car Audio Help & Discussion > General Car Audio Discussion & Questions

General Car Audio Discussion & Questions All general car audio discussion goes here. Need help installing speakers, headunits, amps or electrical? Having problems with equipment? Have questions about a product, post here.

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 08:54 PM
Vindaloo'd Smeg Head

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss319
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Default Really Strange Feedback

Background you need to know.....
I have been kind of playing my setup but not a lot since I do not have proper electrical installed yet. It has been setup like this for a couple weeks with no problems as long as I do not play it long, and mind my voltage drop. I want to add that I have never ever had any kind of ground loop or alt whine or any noises like that until this all happened this week. I have had stereos in and out of this car for 6 years with no problems.

Here is what happened.
I was playing it in the driveway with the engine running. All of a sudden the Kenwood KDC-X996 went into protect, I was actually turning the volume down when it did this. So I pulled the RCAs and the harness let it sit, and then hooked it all back up and it worked liked new again. So I was like hmmmmm, maybe I sent an amp into protect with voltage drop and the Kenwood sensed it and went into protect as well. So I moved on, since it was playing fine again.

I come out the next morning and start my car and it sounds like a missile is flying by, all the highs and mids are playing humming and whistling sounds really loud, I mean unbearably loud. So wow it was fine the night before and nothing changed and now it sounds like this.

I pumped the gas and the whine got louder, ok alt whine. So i cut the car off and the whine did not go away but it got quieter. I have never heard alt whine when motor is not running, really strange? So I messed with some stuff and turned it on and off and you know what all the noise went away, I drove my car into town grabbed some stuff at the store and when I came out and started my car the noises were back again. So I turned the HU off and drove home.

Then I went through all the steps, back to front.
I checked RCAs for problems they all read normal resistance and have no pinches or cuts. With the RCAs checked and passed I moved on....
I then plugged Ipod into the RCAs and RCAs into the amps and played music directly to the amps one at a time from the Ipod with no HU, it was crystal clear on both amps. Amps checked and passed.....
Then I hooked the highs amp back up to HU and turned it on. All the noise was gone and it actually sounded better then before, like it was a cleaner signal now. So I unplugged highs RCAs and plugged in just the Sub amp RCAs, sounded great, again. With no highs at all I could really hear the subs and they sounded clean and clear, no thuds or pops they were right back to normal.

So I hooked the highs and sub amp RCA back up and bam super loud crazy missile sounds coming from highs speakers but not from subs.

So I then unhooked sub amp RCAs and had clean highs again and vice versa, basically as soon as I hook up the both RCAs I get all kinds of noise, like ground loops and alt whine at the same time. I only hear it in the highs not the subs, maybe the sub crossover is filtering out the noise so I just don't hear it in the subs but they both sound clean when hooked up on their own but when I hook up both sets of RCAs the sound comes back.

I am pretty confused by this, the HU works perfect with either set of RCAs hooked up but not both.

What do you think?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Log 8-12s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2013, 09:10 PM
CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss384
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Have you tried runnin a pair of 1f2m splitters to the amp off your ipod? Could at least figure out if it's the amp or hu... good luck...
Old 05-17-2013, 09:27 PM
Vindaloo'd Smeg Head

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss319

Thanks, but it is only when both high and sub RCAs are hooked up to the HU. If I play straight from Ipod, like you mentioned both amps play fine. If I only hook up the highs amp to the HU it is fine, If I only hook up the sub amp to the HU it is fine. If I hook them both up the noise is there.

Build Log 8-12s

Old 05-17-2013, 09:39 PM
CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss384
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Tell ya what... im no electrical engineer nor do I claim to be. That said, sounds like youre rcas on the radio have taken a shit. To use the technical term. Have you taken the top of your hu off to look at the rca leads? Maybe they are broken or somehow arcing inside the unit?

Ok audio engineers, step in and tell me how dumb my response was and give this guy some help!!
The Following User Says Thank You to imlouder For This Useful Post:
512Rodeo91 (05-17-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 11:10 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4405
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 512Rodeo91 View Post
Then I went through all the steps, back to front.
I checked RCAs for problems they all read normal resistance and have no pinches or cuts. With the RCAs checked and passed I moved on....
I then plugged Ipod into the RCAs and RCAs into the amps and played music directly to the amps one at a time from the Ipod with no HU, it was crystal clear on both amps. Amps checked and passed.....
Then I hooked the highs amp back up to HU and turned it on. All the noise was gone and it actually sounded better then before, like it was a cleaner signal now. So I unplugged highs RCAs and plugged in just the Sub amp RCAs, sounded great, again. With no highs at all I could really hear the subs and they sounded clean and clear, no thuds or pops they were right back to normal.

So I hooked the highs and sub amp RCA back up and bam super loud crazy missile sounds coming from highs speakers but not from subs.

So I then unhooked sub amp RCAs and had clean highs again and vice versa, basically as soon as I hook up the both RCAs I get all kinds of noise, like ground loops and alt whine at the same time. I only hear it in the highs not the subs, maybe the sub crossover is filtering out the noise so I just don't hear it in the subs but they both sound clean when hooked up on their own but when I hook up both sets of RCAs the sound comes back.

I am pretty confused by this, the HU works perfect with either set of RCAs hooked up but not both.

What do you think?

Wait wait wait....you actually did some testing before asking a question? That never happens, lol.

Did you check the ground/power wires for the amps? Specifically your highs amp? It sounds like one of the amps is trying to source a ground through the RCA, which might not result in noise if you only have ONE amp hooked up, as the ground reference remains the same for a single amp. As soon as you introduce another amplifier with a higher/lower ground potential in the signal path you get noise, as all the RCAs everywhere in the system share the same ground, but the amps do not.

It sounds like what could have happened was the highs amp started loosing voltage because of a loose connection and went into protect. The noise is just an extension of that. I mention to check your power cables (and fuses!) for loose connections because I've seen bad noise introduced from loose + cables as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to SPLEclipse For This Useful Post:
512Rodeo91 (05-18-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 01:09 AM
Vindaloo'd Smeg Head

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss319

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLEclipse View Post
Wait wait wait....you actually did some testing before asking a question? That never happens, lol.
Lol yeah we cannot all have it done for us Plus I found that awesome thing at the top of the page, I think it is a data quantifier or something, but when you type things into it and hit enter more topics related to it come up haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLEclipse View Post
Did you check the ground/power wires for the amps? Specifically your highs amp? It sounds like one of the amps is trying to source a ground through the RCA, which might not result in noise if you only have ONE amp hooked up, as the ground reference remains the same for a single amp. As soon as you introduce another amplifier with a higher/lower ground potential in the signal path you get noise, as all the RCAs everywhere in the system share the same ground, but the amps do not.
It sounds like what could have happened was the highs amp started loosing voltage because of a loose connection and went into protect. The noise is just an extension of that. I mention to check your power cables (and fuses!) for loose connections because I've seen bad noise introduced from loose + cables as well.
I must have put my fail pants on b/c I didn't check the highs amp ground, face slap not palm. lol
I will re-check all power/ground connections and all fuses onboard and external first thing tomorrow. I checked most of it today but never hurts to look again. I will check for dirty/loose connections and cut wires and all that.
I totally understand what you are saying about how the RCAs could source out a ground if a connection came loose.
Which I would not put outside of the realm of possibilities, things are falling apart quickly with 8-12s and I would not doubt if there are now some loose connections somewhere.

Thanks for the input, hadn't even thought of that.

Build Log 8-12s
Old 05-18-2013, 01:03 PM
Vindaloo'd Smeg Head

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss319

So all the grounds and power wires to the amps where fine. And the noise was actually louder this morning and it was making the noise with just one set of RCAs plugged in.

I ran a ground wire from my battery back to the HU, and the noise is pretty much gone. So gonna run a more permanent ground for my HU from the battery back.
I have had 3 different HUs in 7 years and they have all been grounded to the same point on my firewall with no problems, for some reason now that grounding point so no good and causing alt whine and ground loop buzz.
You can still hear it on volume 0 barely but the alt whine is all gone. The noise is now low enough I can't hear it unless the volume is on 0, even turning it to 1 the music covers it up. And no it just sounds like your standard ground loop or interfere of that sort.

Thanks for the help guys, I hope the battery ground HU fixes it and when I get the 0ga in I am re-running all ground and power wires for everything. So hopefully that will help remove that last little bit of noise I have.

Build Log 8-12s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement