Car Audio Classifieds! banner

help Convince someone....

770 views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  LyferXB9s 
#1 ·
Talking to a guy at work who wants to put an L7 in the trunk of his car. I am trying to convince him to buy something of better quality and not so main stream. Given the price of the L7 I was thinking the SA12, C2 12''s, or IA Lethal injection.... 2-2.5cubes 4'' aero at 35hz should play very well in his car on a nice 1kwrms.

#7 ·
Its not worth the time to convince people

Just like when someone yells at me on the road or stop light

Dang mahn! you got kickers in there???

yeah.... suuure
Well this guy is pretty smart and seems like he would rather have a better quality/sounding sub VS the Kicker name. Was just looking for some input to tell him.

#6 ·
Lol. I'm running two 18s and a 3way active front stage with a 10'' midbass and 8'' midrange so showing him that won't help.

#8 ·
either let him get the L7.. or talk him into Pyle squares.

it never made sense to me why square subs don't have square coils and square motors.

#11 ·
Tell him kicker is sold at walmart and ask why he would want a walmart system. Maybe he wants stuff from walmart because he has swag? :dontknow:

#13 ·
don't try to convince him. you're wasting your time and effort on a lost cause. I use to do what you're trying to do. after a few years and some learning, I learned you don't convince anyone to buy anything unless that is your job. if it's not your job you're just setting yourself up for having pissed off friends and family for no reason. what ever product your are trying to put it in, he is just going to find flaws and flaws that don't exist. if I were you, i'd just let him do his thing. Here's a few examples.

Mother-in-Law was ready to buy a new SUV. requirements, must have power hatch, 3rd row seating, power 3rd row, leather, reliable. she wanted to get an explorer. I asked if she's ever looked at Nissan. she drove the Armada (fully loaded) and "loved it". was pleased that it had more room and power than the Explorer. Got a final out the door price of $42k. She bought it. Than she nit picked the hell out of it wasn't a Ford. I told her, if she isn't happy with the Armada go get the Explorer b/c that's what she wanted to start with. Here a few months later she's getting the Explorer as an even swap. She even special ordered it and waited the 8 weeks for it to come in.

Random dude at a show. He was planning a system and like the way I had mine. He said what he was getting. I gave him some options of "better" equipment. He even had me install it. I installed everything and I was very pleased and happy with the way everything came out and sounded. He was too, at first. He heard one of his boys systems with what he originally wanted and told me his system couldn't keep up with that dudes. we brought it to a guy I know who had a spl meter. the system I installed was 4db louder but the guy kept telling me it didn't sound good and wasn't loud compared to "his boyz". even though the meter said he was, he didn't care.

after all that, I have officially given up on giving advice or convincing anyone of anything unless they ask me for it. even now when someone says they are getting Boss or some other junk brand, I just say "you should like what you got". It's not like I charge more to install a Sundown amp than a Boss amp.

#14 ·
just let him rock the L7
they are not bad subs....

are they as good as the sa, no but they do preform very well.
and as most people are gonna hate me for

the L7's don't sound terrible and properly installed play a wide range of freq.

#16 ·
hahahaha. Yea the only issue I see is the L7s in my expeirence, and I've owned several back in the day. They really like larger boxes. If I'm going to shove a huge box in my trunk its not going to be for one mediocre 12''

#28 ·
lol i personally would get 3 inch coil subs made in america (lethal injections) than SA's i dont care how much people praise them or hugg sundown.. yes their great subs and have been proven to take power

lethal injections have MAJOR cooling and aluminum coils.. i would place a bet on the lethal injection taking more power thermally (before failure) than the sa

its not fair to compare 2.5 inch coils to the 3 inch counter part
but even american bass XFL's can be had cheaper than SAs new
same with lethal injections i got a great deal by just contacting nick at IA and bought 4 lethal injections for under 800 shipped :p

now if where talking SQ thats a whole different game

sounds like the kid that wants the L7s just wants to get loud

#25 ·
I've owned just about every model of Kicker subs, round and square. Their stuff in the 90s-early 200s were the best-sounding (Alma Gates were sponsored by Kicker for awhile), but they started shifting towards just being loud and obnoxious after the square subs came out, then sold out to places like Walmart and became kind of a "meh" brand. Their amps/wires are still pretty good although expensive for what they are. The L5/L7 is not a bad sub, it is not going to win any sound quality contests due to its weird peaks and dips in frequency response but they'll pound out hella bass if the ported box is tuned right. Don't ever install them in a sealed box, it kills their output no matter what you do. Also don't ever buy the L3 square subs, they are garbage.

I would egg on and say he should get a Solo-X. I installed two 12s of them running off of an US Amps USA-2000X and the two subs took it and wanted more power. Again not the best-sounding but holy hell did it move air.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.