Car Audio Classifieds! banner

Volt meters?

2K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  92K1500 
#1 ·
I've been into car audio for a while, used HO alts and extra batteries before but I always just relied on the math to tell me my electrical was sufficient. I'm going to be using a bigger amp in my new install and just want to make sure I don't damage it so I'm thinking about buying a voltage meter for my new setup.

I'm just wondering who uses them, what kind, where do you measure your voltage from, and do you think they are reliable?

#2 ·
i'd just picked up a stinger voltage meter from Kmanian, should be here tomm.

I think they should come in handy alot of times, cause you never know when a random voltage drop can occur, or a high voltage.

Terra also uses one i know, dont remember brand...

#5 ·
Id say its best to wire it at the amp. Who cares what your voltage is at anywhere besides the amp! I dont have a volt meter I just keep my DMM hooked up to my amp the whole time.

#8 ·
i had mine wired to my sub amp. it seem'd to read pretty accurate. mine is just a apc needle guage. i just threw a single pod on my a pillar so its right there and i can always keep a eye on it

#10 ·
I've also been considering this, and I think I found a good spot to mount mine... Any brands that people suggest? Also, I was looking at some and they said you have to pull power from somewhere other than the place being measured. If you're measuring the output at a battery (or input at the amp) where do you get power from, if it's on the same circuit as everything else?

#11 ·
I have a Stinger volt meter mounted right no my dash just above the head unit so I can keep a constant eye on my voltage. It's good to know just where it's at when doing long demos. I have some 18awg wire ran directly into the positive terminal on my amp so it reads exactly what the amp is seeing.

#12 ·
I have a stinger in my dash where the control panel used to be for the factory radio, seen here,

I have it hooked to my amp+ and rem from the H/U and set it with a DVOM with the engine running. I have found mine is only accurate one way. If you set it engine running, it will be low with the engine off.

Oh yeah, I went overkill like normal, and used 14AWG for it. It has like 18 or 20 coming off the back of it. I kinda have an obsession with 14...

#14 ·
My stinger is pretty much exactly the same as my DVOM in response and accuracy once you set the gain.

#16 ·
I have a pic of it like 3 posts up. lol, yes it's digi, and I got mine off ebay for like $25

I think they come in green red and blue

#18 ·
Well it's not technically a "gain" but it acts similarly. It is to make up for resistance in the wire you use I guess. You just have to hook a DVOM up to the same place as the volt meter is connected, and turn a screw on the back side till they read the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.