Put my two FI BL 10's head to head against a Shocker Sig Neo 12 on Saturday - Car Audio Classifieds!
Car Audio Classifieds!  

Go Back   Car Audio Classifieds! > Car Audio Help & Discussion > General Car Audio Discussion & Questions

General Car Audio Discussion & Questions All general car audio discussion goes here. Need help installing speakers, headunits, amps or electrical? Having problems with equipment? Have questions about a product, post here.

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2015, 07:05 AM
Central Maine Bass Head

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss209
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Put my two FI BL 10's head to head against a Shocker Sig Neo 12 on Saturday

I had a show yesterday and was able to bring two different setups out to play with. One of them I've had for a couple yrs - two FI BL 10 dual 2's. Recently at a show I had the surrounds let go on them and one of the dust caps blow off on my second run of the day. I was able to get a decent number off with two Sundown NS1's on them @ 1 ohm each on the first run, but I think they were beginning their death spiral and my max # was not achieved. I gooped the dogpoopie out of them and threw them back in the box and in the car for the show on Saturday.
My second setup is a Shocker Sig Neo 12 dual 2.8 that I borrowed from a local competitor to test with, and I put together a 2.25 cube box for it with two 6" aero's. It and the FI box are fairly similar, but I was not sure about the numbers either would put up due to lack of test time.

Here is the FI box, got an NS1 under it (not hooked up in the picture) and another in the rear... NS1's are @1 ohm each

The subs all gooped up

Here is the Neo, and a few progress pics... NS1's are at .7 ohm each

I've got some videos I'll post up when they all get uploaded as well.

On both of my runs, after I rolled my volume up and held it, the Kenwood deck face went dark and it would not roll down or shut off. First run I powered it down and after about 4 seconds it turned itself back on and began another death burp at max volume. I had to yank the deck face off, and then it permanently shut off... that scared me, and my FI's smelled like they went through an old school db drag 5 min death match, with smoke coming out the ports O_o I only got one 60 or 61hz burp out of the Neo, and then I had to yank the deck face, but a number showed and it's something to work with.

Anyone got a guess as to what either did in this little guy?

Shocker Sig 12 - 153.7 dash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CRXBMPN; 09-14-2015 at 10:21 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2015, 07:25 AM
Central Maine Bass Head

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss209

I also threw my GoPro on my head for about 20 minutes during the show, including my first run where I have the deck sh1t out on me. Here that is if anyone wants to waste 1/3 of an hour listening to us Maine'ahz. Exo makes an appearance as well in it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1csLZ8hnUY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:29 AM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1706
Feedback Score: 68 reviews

155 dash bl's
, 154.6 dash shocker sig

My guesses

2015 MECA STREET 5 WORLD CHAMP

Old 09-14-2015, 07:33 AM
Central Maine Bass Head

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss209

damn you are one optimistic mofo LoL
If I dropped the BL's to .25 ohm on the NS1's maybe, but I don't think they could take that much more power. The Sig I only got one burp out of at an assumed frequency, unfortunately.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:59 AM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1706

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRXBMPN View Post
If I dropped the BL's to .25 ohm on the NS1's maybe, but I don't think they could take that much more power. The Sig I only got one burp out of at an assumed frequency, unfortunately.
I was going off your sig scores, doubled your power and made a guess. (Since you have bigger amps now). Oh well. I wish "hispl" would sell me his 4 neo sig motors. He still have them?

Old 09-14-2015, 08:12 AM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8409
Feedback Score: 39 reviews

I seen a few crx with setups like this. Sub front and port back. Which I think is weird as fawk.. Have you tried sub up port back? Or port on same plane as the woofer? It just seems like sub on front of box and port on back wouldn't work proper and be able to build pressure in the box
8 pwx crescendo 10s
Quad excessive amperage 350alts
4 juicebox 3100s
Old 09-14-2015, 08:28 AM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4674
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivespl View Post
I seen a few crx with setups like this. Sub front and port back. Which I think is weird as fawk.. Have you tried sub up port back? Or port on same plane as the woofer? It just seems like sub on front of box and port on back wouldn't work proper and be able to build pressure in the box
Sub front port back in a crx is like sub up port back in our trucks. It's just what gets the loudest
Old 09-14-2015, 08:29 AM
Central Maine Bass Head

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss209

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72impala View Post
I was going off your sig scores, doubled your power and made a guess. (Since you have bigger amps now). Oh well. I wish "hispl" would sell me his 4 neo sig motors. He still have them?
This motor is his, along with his four Neo Sig 15's in his Jeep wall on eight Zed 1200w amps. We live less than an hour from each other too so it makes it very easy. I believe he is going to be building me up three subs with similar or same softies as the Neo, just TC9 motors. For some 1500w RMS subs, these FI's have done alarmingly well, I'm so impressed it's unreal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivespl View Post
For shi-grins I may build an exact duplicate box as the Neo 12 is in now, and only fire it up instead of forward, just to see if there is a difference. It's a bit exotic, but alot of CRX style boxes are subs forward and ports rear, be it in a box or sonotubes.

FWIW - 153.4 with the FI's , 152.6 with the Neo.

Import Face Off is coming up, which is a USAC event, I would be curious to see what my outlaw #'s are. When I did a 153.1 in my garage recently testing the FI's, I was able to pop a 155.9 at the kick. If the math stays the same, I could see mid 56's outlaw with reinforced Goop'd subs. Could always drop the amps to .25 as well......

Old 09-14-2015, 08:31 AM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1706

Quote:
This motor is his, along with his four Neo Sig 15's in his Jeep wall on eight Zed 1200w amps. We live less than an hour from each other too so it makes it very easy. I believe he is going to be building me up three subs with similar or same softies as the Neo, just TC9 motors. For some 1500w RMS subs, these FI's have done alarmingly well, I'm so impressed it's unreal.

For shi-grins I may build an exact duplicate box as the Neo 12 is in now, and only fire it up instead of forward, just to see if there is a difference. It's a bit exotic, but alot of CRX style boxes are subs forward and ports rear, be it in a box or sonotubes.

FWIW - 153.4 with the FI's , 152.6 with the Neo.

Import Face Off is coming up, which is a USAC event, I would be curious to see what my outlaw #'s are. When I did a 153.1 in my garage recently testing the FI's, I was able to pop a 155.9 at the kick. If the math stays the same, I could see mid 56's outlaw with reinforced Goop'd subs. Could always drop the amps to .25 as well......

Ask him if he wants to sell his neo sigs to me ; )

OR trade for some other neo motors

Old 09-14-2015, 08:34 AM
CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss391
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Quote:
Those 10's are absolutely at mechanical limits, that's why the surrounds peeled off to begin with. The surrounds are being stretched flat out.

That 12" neo wasn't close to x-max so I'd bet that impedance rise is a factor. Coils in series free-air that sub has 20 ohm impedance at 60hz (44 ohm z-max @ 46hz)...... so extrapolate that to @ close to 6 ohms in parallel. I never pulled TSPs in parallel because I was always using the Crown 6K and used coils series subs parallel.

Bigger box, or if you dare, rebuild with D1.4 coil might help or might blow something up? We really need to buy DATS for testing up this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72impala View Post
Also there's only the one batcap on those amps so whether or not double power is happening is anybody's guess.

FYI I'd sell the 12 he is using. I'd consider trading my 4 out of the Jeep for some LMS 5400's and that's about all.... otherwise you'll have to pry them from my cold dead hands. The motor force is obscene and the weight savings over any ferrite motor I'd bother with is just tremendous.

Last edited by hispls; 09-14-2015 at 08:38 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to hispls For This Useful Post:
CRXBMPN (09-14-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement