What to do when there isnt a HO alt available........Dual Alts? - Car Audio Classifieds!
Car Audio Classifieds!  

Go Back   Car Audio Classifieds! > Car Audio Help & Discussion > General Car Audio Discussion & Questions

General Car Audio Discussion & Questions All general car audio discussion goes here. Need help installing speakers, headunits, amps or electrical? Having problems with equipment? Have questions about a product, post here.

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2015, 04:09 PM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss63
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default What to do when there isnt a HO alt available........Dual Alts?

I recently posted this on another forum and all I have recieved was "good eletrical isnt cheap dont waste your money buy this brand alt" While I appreciate the guys answer it isnt a option that is feasible due to time restraints.

I've been out of the industry for a little over ten years so I'm not exactly a noob but I could use some help getting up to speed.

Short of strapping a generator on the roof what are my options?I am thinking dual alts and maybe a over drive pulley.

What is involved in running dual alts?I can handle the brackets and pulley but how do you go about wiring it all up?

Lastly this is on a build outside of the US and budget is a factor.I can easily source 150amp oem units and 200-250 amps will do but with the needed overhead and hot output 300-350 is better.So if I'm going to be fabricating it seems logical to go dual vs a 350'ish amp universal that would be VERY expensive to get here,price+ aprox 100$shipping and aprox 30% tax on alt and shipping for a mechman or aprox 40-60$ for a good used oem + fab is more attractive.If we need more there is a factory 200 or 220 IIRC amp from another model that we could grab 4 to 5 of new for the price of importing a mechman,stinger etc etc.

Thanks

By the way the car is Audi B5 RS4 Avant that once box designs are done and tested we'll be trying to do a prepreg carbon fiber or kevlar carbon mix enclosure when all is said and done.The Subs are 3 of our own design basic 3 slug 10 spoke 12's,3 korean 2k amps and 2 125.4's for highs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2015, 05:15 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4674
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

I tried doing a dual alt setup on a b7 S4 and there is ZERO room. The guy ended up spending $900 on a 300a alt for the car. If you can find a way to do it on a B5, go for it. I had a single 350a alt and 3 oem rebuilds on my truck and it handled plenty of power
Old 10-16-2015, 06:14 PM
CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss281

The cheapest route I found was junkyard alternator just look for the biggest you can get and that you can still get to charge and go for . I Found a 150 for 33 dollars plus my stock 90 and I was doing OK until I found some high outputs for cheap they weren't for my car at all but were deals and installed them.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:15 PM
157.28db,41hz +Increasing

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4907
Feedback Score: 17 reviews

Super caps or lithium to hold higher voltage is the easiest.

EDIT: if you can't fit a second alt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

4 15s + Flat Wall + 10k = Loud

#60sHereIcome
Old 10-16-2015, 06:20 PM
mega fatty

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss6008
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINTORMAN View Post
Super caps or lithium to hold higher voltage is the easiest.

EDIT: if you can't fit a second alt.
I agree

But if you think you can make the brackets more power to ya
I would get your stock alt and a universal single wire alt
Idk but I assume that Audi alt is pcm controlled
Old 10-17-2015, 06:48 PM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss63

Thanks for the replies,on a B5 the AC runs a separate v belt and I can either put it there or reroute some intercooler piping and put it there next to the existing.

SINTORMAN Super caps and Lithium batts would be even more headaches to import because of the nature of them but I appreciate the advice.These are new to me since I have been back and look promising for a option on a car where you dont want to hack up tons of things.

doug118 I had a B7 S4 and I know the room situation all too well,most service begins with remove front clip or place in service position as one of the first step lol

tymoto21 this mosel is 15 years old but I am pretty sure some of the newer ones are PCM controlled.

Am I missing something or can I just go ahead and wire it in along the oem alt?would I need a aftermarket rectifier to control 2 alts or a isolater of sorts? or just run my hot,and a ignition on to the rectifier and be done with it?Can I also run it off of a switch to only turn it on as needed?

Thanks again

Robert
Old 10-17-2015, 07:20 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4674

If you don't mind losing the alt, put it there. I'd seriously look into shipping super caps. If someone is nice enough, they will just ship the uncharged caps and not tell anyone what they are lol
Old 10-17-2015, 07:31 PM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss63

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug118 View Post
If you don't mind losing the alt, put it there. I'd seriously look into shipping super caps. If someone is nice enough, they will just ship the uncharged caps and not tell anyone what they are lol
I am actually in the states at the moment,I'll look into them but all small shipments have to be opened at the post office if customs doesnt inspect and tag them.I'll look and see what I can classify them as but batteries of any sort are seriously frowned upon.They can be shipped but the cost is insanity

I'm from the US and my wife is from there and I travel between often.I usually ship my "personal"belongings over and collect them when I arrive.If we had time I'd do this or take a alt in my luggage but this car is on a deadline and time is a issue.Chances are I'll probably use them eventually but at a later date.
Old 10-18-2015, 02:49 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1629
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

if it's an internally regulated alt you shouldn't have any problem sticking them in parallel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement