Car Audio Classifieds! banner

going front single 15 to two 12's, help me with box idea

294 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  lalojamesliz 
#1 ·
Right now I have a single 15" (zcon w/ warden recone) and a taramps dsp3k with a single 6" aeroport 3.8cf^3 @35hz after displacements. It's not enough spl for my liking but I can't make the box any bigger and keep the wife happy with trunk space.

I purchased two sa-12's and was thinking of building a similar spec box. I've read around that ported forward facing is more Sq than spl and you heat distortion more. I won't have to push my amp as hard since the sa-12's won't take as much as my current sub (I think) so I shouldn't worry as much about clipping my amp :dontknow:

My rear seats don't fold down so the subs will be facing the the rear seat backs but with my 6" aeroport centered with my skipass with the box sealed off.
I like the rear firing box idea but I hate worrying about my sub being damaged and if I build a forward facing box, it will be angled towards the rear seat to avoid wasting space.
I only have a few inches of space around the box for the bass to travel into the cabin since my box is tall/wide
I just want the most spl with this set up. That's why I went with more cone area

#2 ·
Those Sa 12s will handle that 3k amp. Only way you want to fire forward is if you can seal it off 100%... With your seats not folding it would be a waste. And I would only port threw the ski pass if you can do a 4th order and port threw the ski pass... I would just do subs back port back unless you can fit a 4th order

#3 · (Edited)
Unfortunately my rear seat doesn't fold down. I know the bigger the box the better (to a limit) and I've read sa12's like small enclosures but would I see much difference if I gave each sub 1.5 or 1.8 cubic feet?
The smaller I can make the box, the more space I can have around for the waves to travel into my cabin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.