Car Audio Classifieds! banner

Trying to decide on 18's

1K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  doug118 
#1 · (Edited)
Have a little ground pounder 4runner that im doing a small build on just to enjoy driving from job site to job site. Its one of my dailys and I got bit by the bass bug again. Up in the air with the 18's I want to go with.

So far everything has been purchased or in route except for the speakers and sundown 50.4.

As for the box, I want it to sound loud to the ear. I could care less about DB, I want this thing tuned low like 33hz. Thinking fire up port back. The wall system in my tahoe beat me to death but sounded like shit to my ear. It was tuned to like 50hz. When we changed up the box and fired them up and port back tuned to 35hz, holy shit. felt like the pressure in my ears was going to explode it hurt so bad. I want that same sound in this thing granted I realize its a smaller system and not going to get as loud. Just same concept though

Sundown saz3500d
2 18s (thinking DC lvl 4 D1 right now)
Sundown 50.4
JL audio c series components (using these because I got a brand new set from my bro in law for free)
Skyhigh wiring/RCAs (2 runs of 1/0 from starter batter to back battery)
Big 3
Singer 275A (310 max amp) alternator
D3400 starter up front and D3100 in back
Dual 1/0 inputs into amp for power and ground
Alpine headunit (this may be temporary, not sure if I want to use something else)

Might be missing some things, but thats the bulk of it.

Thanks for the input.

See less See more
#5 ·
Wait for the ampere 3.0 v3s... less cost than both of those options, more xmax, and they will handle anything that 3500 can send their way, all day, and they kill the lows... I'm running a pair of v2s in my 4runner currently but will be upagrading to the v3's when they are available.... precision econowind coils, and 34mm one way xmax ....lol you will want some good deadener as well. The 4runners are flex monsters. My back doors flex so much currently I can see light coming in though the gaps, and the sunroof flaps so bad snow and rain will get sucked in so don't skimp on deadener. Vibraflex is probably your best bet there, and ampere offers that as well. For reference, I'm doing 50+ from 27-44hz on music... it's loud to the ear, the meter, and the body. It is also my daily...lmao

#6 ·
Hey bro
Was just reading up on the v3. Thanks for the info. Those seem pretty legit. Especially for the price. I see that some places are staying place order today. So are they available right now or is there an expected release date.

I was Definintly looking into deadener as well. Because just looking at this thing I can see it being beat apart. I'll look into
Vibraflex.

Bye what's your box specs and speaker setup?

Thanks for the info man

#8 · (Edited)
3.0v3 18s are preorder currently. But well worth the wait for the money. And the customer service from andrew is just crazy awesome. I am a rep for ampere so i can help you out with any products he carries. As far as enclosures for the 4runner i have an 02 and the cargo area build i did was with a pair of 15s. Did like 9 cubes net at 28, subs up, ports back and center with 2 8" aeros. It was sick... loved it, but wanted louder so went and walled it. Still working on finishing it up but its been playing for a while. Damn ohio winters suck for working on builds without a heated garage...

#9 ·
3.0v3 18s are preorder currently. But well worth the wait for the money. And the customer service from andrew is just crazy awesome. I am a rep for ampere so i can help you out with any products he carries. As far as enclosjres for the 4runner i have an 02 and the cargo area build i did was with a pair of 15s. Did like 9 cubes net at 28, subs up, ports back and center with 2 8" aeros. It was sick... loved it, but wanted louder so went and walled it. Still working on finishing it up but its been playing for a while. Damn ohio wi ters suck for working on builds without a heated garage...
Thanks for the info man. check PMs

#11 ·
Incriminator Audio Death Rows or Death Penalties fit the bill really well.

#15 ·
Same exact vehicle as me, less power... 15s in the cargo is best if he is going 3.0s... he won't have 12 net, I've already built a cargo area build as large as possible in the same truck and had 10.89 net after all displacements. I have nearly that net per 18 with the current build on a decent bit more power so I wouldnt suggest it. He wants a ground pounder daily build, space makes bass... Taylor said from all his testing with the 3.0s they prefer around 8 net per for a daily setup. But hey, I could be wrong... according to the truck sitting in my driveway I'm not though....
Also told him if he is dead set on 18s zv3s would be better for the space he is wanting to work in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.