how would you test a voice coil - Car Audio Classifieds!
Car Audio Classifieds!  

Go Back   Car Audio Classifieds! > Car Audio Help & Discussion > General Car Audio Discussion & Questions

General Car Audio Discussion & Questions All general car audio discussion goes here. Need help installing speakers, headunits, amps or electrical? Having problems with equipment? Have questions about a product, post here.

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2016, 04:26 PM
Authorized Vendor

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss14115
Thanked 1,756 Times in 1,344 Posts
Feedback Score: 83 reviews
Default how would you test a voice coil

as many know, i dictionary with the voice coils. last time i had prototype coils in i set up a (non woohoo) test method and im looking to step up the game a bit as the overall testing purpose would be thermal dissipation comparison as thats a huge issue. other tests have to be done in a motor to confirm le and the such when in use. but how would you test the thermal capacity of a coil?

things i know-

the input supply for power will be regulated so the power stays constant no matter the temp which will lead to a gain in resistance.

i cant do a servo like motion to simulate coil movement. i tried some nem's and the fastest i could ramp them with a coils mass on board was 4hz (thats fast) on a 2.5" per way stroke.
--------------

ive thought about making a vertical chamber like deal where the coil sits within and has regulated airflow upwards to see the affects/efficiency of air cooling. the testing is cut and dry as a whole but lets hear some thoughts
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2016, 04:53 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1270
Feedback Score: 20 reviews

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your goal..... but if the coil is difficult to move in a simulated fashion maybe have air oscillate back and forth. I'm thinking have your vertical chamber practically a port for some subwoofer you may have lying around. You can do some do some math and changing stuff around to adjust air velocity to potentially emulate real world scenario or at least come closer.... Likely a terrible idea, but that's all I can come up with atm.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:04 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8409
Feedback Score: 39 reviews

Why not put the coil in a woofer and clamp power and temp until it fails? Best way to test a coil is let me daily beat it and I'll tell you yay or nay.
8 pwx crescendo 10s
Quad excessive amperage 350alts
4 juicebox 3100s

Old 04-27-2016, 05:44 PM
Car audio classifieds, stereo sales, subwoofer amps mids classified caraudio, BANNED!!

Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1070
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

id imagine the only way to get real world results would be in an actual subwoofer, seems like a lot of hassle to test it otherwise unless you plan on doing this all in house with proprietary stuff

there's so many factors id be interested to see how to avoid those causing weird results
Old 04-27-2016, 06:04 PM
Bass Enhanced

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1733
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

I say build a prototype motor to go with your coils and use off the shelf spiders and cones(to save cost while testing), Jeff its just a matter of time before you start building your own subs anyway so test your coils in the environment they meant to be in
Old 04-27-2016, 06:23 PM
Authorized Vendor

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss14115

the idea is for comparative reasons (regular vs subject). being able to analyze coil operation and factors while having full access to the coil is a big thing for me. in motor would be real world for sure but theres still tons of factors that play rolls there. something like an amm-1 in a sub while testing coil workout but it would still require two build ups of each test with the same dummy motor as a test pallet.

when i did the first coil design, i sent a few out for testing. one guy had a pair of bc3500s strapped on one coil (S.75 ohm) and it held up but alls that tells me is that it handles power but im looking for how it dissipates and holds up structurally and where the temperature limits are
Old 04-27-2016, 06:36 PM
Bass Enhanced

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1733
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Maybe a straight dc load on the coil with an infrared thermometer measuring the temps You would at least know the thermal limits of the adhesives and you would be able to see if the former started warping if the coil it self holds up
Old 04-27-2016, 06:41 PM
Authorized Vendor

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss14115

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Shot View Post
Maybe a straight dc load on the coil with an infrared thermometer measuring the temps You would at least know the thermal limits of the adhesives and you would be able to see if the former started warping if the coil it self holds up
i will be using a dc power supply for the power source. and IR for therm, wanted to get a thermal camera but there a pretty penny. not so much a failure point but thermal densities in the coils wind formation dependent on the wind variation
Old 04-27-2016, 06:48 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1258
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I say build a pvc tube to slide the coil into with a fan at one end and a single hold drilled into the side of the pvc. Always use the fan at the same "wind speed" and run the coil at the same AC power and watch the temperature of the coil through the hole in the side of the pvc with a temp gun or one of those fancy voice coil temperature monitoring devices

however you want to test it against other coils just keep as many variables the same as you can

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:01 PM
Lock up your daughters!

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1342
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

I've got an idea, but don't know how feasible it would be.

Have a top assembly made with a cone, spider, and basket.

Figure out a good way to make a coil removable. You've got a 3-D printer and are a problem solver. You can probably come up with a better way to do this than me

I'd say print a ring (like an adapter that makes a smaller coil fit snugly in the hole of a cone and spider that have a larger opening). Then figure out a way to make the coil secure, but easily removable.

I'd say use something like Fi's FOAD leads, so they aren't attached to the spider (unless you'd want to solder and de-solder leads to each coil you tested).

Have a radial Neo motor to bolt the top assembly onto. That way, you don't have to tediously clean the gap each time you slinky a coil. Traditional ferrite motors would be a pain.

Hopefully this helps
Quote:
Love is when she licks your butthole and try's to kiss you and u smack her but she doesn't get mad because she know that nasty and she in the wrong
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread