Car Audio Classifieds! banner

Advice for smaller sub setup

704 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  lalojamesliz 
#1 ·
I was going to move some of my stereo equipment from my last car to my new one. Even though I have more room with the new car, I want to use my trunk space for storage this time around.

For the last three years my bass has come from the huge JL Audio 12" W7 Subwoofer Loaded in their Wedge Enclosure box. It hasn't been pushed much at all, powered by the JL HD 750/1 amp, and not taken to its limit - so it should still have some good life in it.

I was wondering wether I should try and sell or trade it and get something smaller, like a couple of eights or a ten inch sub. Or if I should try and find someone in Vegas with experience making a smaller enclosure that rocks with the 12" W7. I'll probably keep the same amp, unless it best to get a higher one and keep the 12.

It's been a while for me. I want to keep it kind of simple. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

* Is it worth trying to trade it on this forum? Is there much market for that wedge box, even if used?

* Should I try just getting a new box built, smaller for the 12W7? If so, any recommendations in town?

* What sub/s do you all think is more suited for the HD750/1?

Thanks all for your time!

See less See more
#6 ·
I'd go with a pair of 8" subs in a sealed enclosure and use the current amp if I were you

#11 ·
I would sell the HO box with the 12w7 and that amp as a combo on craigslist or something then use that $$ to get something just as good. Sundown, DC, etc Many non mainstream brands to choose from. 2 high powered 8's coupled with a powerful 5 ch amp for example would be awesome. Or, a 4 ch and a mono.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.