First Ported box build - Car Audio Classifieds!
Car Audio Classifieds!  

Go Back   Car Audio Classifieds! > Car Audio Help & Discussion > General Car Audio Discussion & Questions

General Car Audio Discussion & Questions All general car audio discussion goes here. Need help installing speakers, headunits, amps or electrical? Having problems with equipment? Have questions about a product, post here.

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2017, 12:01 PM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 5/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default First Ported box build

Ok, so I'm still a novice in car audio. I'm still on my first sub and box (a 12 Rockford Fosgate in a sealed box) but I wanted to try out building a ported box. I designed it using winisd and it looks ok? lol. The SPL curve only goes up to 88 but is pretty smooth from 30-100hz with only a 2db roll off. But I still have some questions.

Is 1 inch too small for a slot port? Can the port just be a straight board? All the boxes I've seen have had a 90 degree turn but Isn't that just to make the port longer?

3.4 ft^3 tuned to 24 hz.
Winisd says this box is tuned to 24hz.... but every box tuning that I plugged in to winisd the SPL graph always showed it peaking like 10hz higher than the tuning frequency. Is that normal?

Last edited by aidanskatez; 06-01-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2017, 05:10 PM
mega fatty

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss6008
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

The turn in the port is just to make it longer
Post what you put in winisd

If you tune that low you are probably going to miss a lot of output in the 40-50hz range
I would tune at 32hz and see how you like it
Unless you're playing slowed music there really isn't many songs that play that low
Old 06-02-2017, 11:27 AM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1117
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

You can't rely on the graph to show spl output or frequency response. Once you put the enclosure in the car it changes everything for car to car.

Now rule of thumb for building sub box. Usually for 1 12 inch sub you won't need more then 3 cu.ft of volume. And you don't want to tune it so low. Depending on what you listen to tuning at 35hz will do good all around as music don't peak any lower. But the lower you tube it the less output you will get above 40hz and above and that won't sound good for rock or anything with midbass.

And generally if you listen to hip hop, rap and r&b like I do with many more other genres. It will be pointless to focus anything above 60hz for sub stage.

Also a port can be straight unless the box is not long enough for desire port tuning. And generally we do 12-16 sq.in of port area time our box volume to get desire port area.

So if you have a box with 3 cu.ft of volume. And say the box is 16inch high. You (times) 3 by let say 14 sq.in per cube of volume. That's 42 sq.in of port area needed in a 3 cu.ft box. Now subtract wood material. Mdf I use is 3/4 inch or as a fraction is .75 of an inch. So the top and bottom of the bottom of a box 16 in high will leave 14.5 inch high for the box height. Divide our 42 sq.in of port area to the height of the port to get our width of the port to reach our goal of 42 in of port area that comes to 2.89 which we can round to 3 inch wide by 14.5 high port tune to what you want. I don't recommend lower the 33hz but you gotta make sure after you calculate the displacement of sub and port volume that you still have 3cuft left of net volume.

If you have an android device you can download Torres box calculator in the play store and get all your dimensions for you box. It's pointless to compare the output on winisd cause it's unreal and confusing. I used bass box pro 6. But honestly now I just get my desire box volume and port area and tuning and that all.

I will post pics of boxes I made

Old 06-02-2017, 11:52 AM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1117

Sq hdc3 15

2 12 Memphis mojo
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/...pso7n0ozqd.jpg

2 dss ethos 12

2 Fi btl neo 15

Old 06-02-2017, 07:57 PM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 5/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Ok I'll just design the box based off of what I've read then because winisd was pretty confusing for me. But I wasn't trying to tune it that low I just put in the specs that my rectangular port could be (14in tall 1 in wide and 16 in long) and the SPL graph that it spit out looked decent. peaking lower than larger ports I had tried but there was almost no drop off like I said.

The final tuning with the 1 inch port was 24hz but I checked again and the peak was actually 42hz with only a 1 db roll off up to 100hz and down to 30hz but it fell of by like 4 db before getting to 24hz. I sort of "understand" cabin gain and that a vehicle affect the box's output but maybe I'll build this box eventually, just for fun.

I think I'm trying to hard. I'll just build a box and figure it out as I go.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:16 AM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4405
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

If the sub is nothing too special or you're running under ~500 watts your 1"x14" port would be adequate. If you absolutely can't spare any room for a larger port I'd personally go with a 4" round rather than a skinny slot port. Skinny ports are more likely to cause port noise and are not as efficient as round ports. It sounds like you have plenty of room though, so I would make it 2" x 14" if possible. It will probably be around 20" long for a low 30's tuning. As mentioned earlier, there's no real reason to tune in the 20's unless you are playing subsonic notes at full volume. Although the port will begin to unload below the tuning frequency, you will still have low acoustic compliance (the air in the box will still be "springy" rather than "loose") for at least a half octave below tuning, and because of this the relative phase between the port and the sub changes gradually - it doesn't' just drop off below the tuning frequency. In addition - the extra pressure from trying to compress air in a car, especially if the port is "loaded" by placing it close to the back wall of the trunk for example, can dramatically lower the effective tuning by adding additional mass to the port air "plug".
Old 06-03-2017, 09:11 AM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8594
Feedback Score: 55 reviews

port area is not relevent to enclosure size

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Enclosures

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:55 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1117

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyerbyrd22 View Post
port area is not relevent to enclosure size
Well yes and no. Most if not all use 12-16 sq.in per cube. It's get you close. But try doing a 2 cu.ft box with 50 sq.in of port area tuned to 32hz and see how much port volume there is. Crazy!! That was for the ethos which were in an optimal and sounded like shit.

Not there is a way I remember seeing somewhere where you take the sub sd parameter but 1 way xmax and tuning to get port area.

Can't have to much but that just make the box Prakrit and roll off quicker

But there many things that will change. Like power or trying to achieve a goal. I never had issue with port noise.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:03 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8594
Feedback Score: 55 reviews

its not yes and no...its no...port area is not relative to enclosure size..its based off of the driver specs

Enclosures

Old 06-04-2017, 07:25 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1117

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyerbyrd22 View Post
its not yes and no...its no...port area is not relative to enclosure size..its based off of the driver specs
Still a yes and no. Because Quintin whatever his last name is. Posted the recommended box spec and I made it up to specs. Sounded like shit. Made a box that I was just shooting 14 sq.in per cube and sounded and play a lot better.

But yes It's because it really depend on box volume, tuning and power to determine port area. Can't go make a box with 100 sq.in of port in 1 cube box. And I'm referencing people with huge port which really kills bandwidth.

I don't know many who do. I would love to see how you prepare each of your design you do for each setup. 1 sentences reply with no info is just pointless

Last edited by SPL Addict; 06-04-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement